advertisement

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

I hadn't heard the story behind the film 'Foxcatcher'*, but it is pretty incredible. Steve Carrel and Channing Tatum are both in Oscar winning territory with this story of the US wrestling team going to the Olympics.

*On iPlayer at present.

I just watched the last episode of The Art of Japanese Life

this is indeed excellent. would rather watch it another 200 times than the latest game of thrones attempt at entertainment engineering -- it's a sad world in which we still don;t have season 2 of wolf hall, which is the real deal.

vuk.

I think Detectorists is one of the best comedies the BBC has produced for a while. It's very gentle and has some rather lovely shots of the English countryside + a folky soundtrack. It's a real hidden gem and I'm looking forward to the last episode of series 3 this week.

I think Detectorists is one of the best comedies the BBC has produced for a while. It's very gentle and has some rather lovely shots of the English countryside + a folky soundtrack. It's a real hidden gem and I'm looking forward to the last episode of series 3 this week.

That's on Netflix in the US - I watched and episode which was pleasant but a bit slow so I passed on it. I'll have to give it another look.

A repeat, but shown last night so on iPlayer for a month: The Rules Of Abstraction with Matthew Collings, a superb 90 minute overview of abstract art.

...I really like this series too. Do you mean Series 2 as I think Series 3 is not out yet (filming of Series 3 was this Summer I think) ?

My son is a member of a local Radio Control boat club in Hertfordshire. The stereotype of these Hobbyist clubs is spot on in the Detectorists. Just last Sunday I was asked at the model boat club if members wanted Club fleeces or gilets ordering. I recalled the bulk order of fleeces put in by the Detectorists club !

Pleased to hear they are doing a third series. Great skill to write/act a comedy with little going on. Classic.

Bloss

Another Dectectorists fan here. Lovely gentle humour, great characters & acting; Toby Jones is particularly good. It shows the geeky side of hobbyists without demeaning. Oh, then there's Diana Rigg's daughter.

............The stereotype of these Hobbyist clubs is spot on in the Detectorists. Just last Sunday I was asked at the model boat club if members wanted Club fleeces or gilets ordering. ........

Careful now.....they do t shirts over on HiFi Wigwam. :cool:

Agree though that Detectorists is very good! I hope it's repeated as I missed the first series.

advertisement

Back