advertisement

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

Wimbledon, of course; worth a fair part of the licence fee (includes Queen's Club and other venues when covered.

The news....

Maybe it's just me but the Beeb spends far too much time covering 'rubbish' news, usually political or their own shenanigans, There's a whole world of things going on out there and the Beeb labours one domestic incident; again and again.

Furthermore, they tend to interview gormless or naive people in pursuit of their story as a totally unnecessary 'illustration'. Now maybe these accusations apply in part or in full to ITV news, but I think not. Example: The current BBC 'scandal' gets 15 minutes, day after day. Ukraine gets 3 minutes. Global catastrophes or events of interest barely get a mention. Didn't use to be like this !

Wimbledon, of course; worth a fair part of the licence fee (includes Queen's Club and other venues when covered.

Maybe it's just me but the Beeb spends far too much time covering 'rubbish' news, usually political or their own shenanigans, There's a whole world of things going on out there and the Beeb labours one domestic incident; again and again.

Furthermore, they tend to interview gormless or naive people in pursuit of their story as a totally unnecessary 'illustration'. Now maybe these accusations apply in part or in full to ITV news, but I think not. Example: The current BBC 'scandal' gets 15 minutes, day after day. Ukraine gets 3 minutes. Global catastrophes or events of interest barely get a mention. Didn't use to be like this !
It was a bit "tongue in cheek" considering today's "headlines"....

Melvyn Bragg bows out of the Southbank Show on Sky Arts on Thursday with a special dedicated to his long time friend, David Hockney.

I am sure he is being prepped to be the next David Attenborough.
He did this documentary once, he had this obsession with finding this young girl.

"Real-life detective story. Chris Packham returns to Sumatra to search for a girl from a nomadic tribe he photographed 20 years ago to discover what has happened to her jungle home."
Tragic story, in that the family once able to roam the jungle, were reduced to camping out in a palm oil plantation which had replaced it. She was now a mother herself.
I think it important that this deforestation for commercial gain is exposed. She was embarrassed by the attention, but he had no respect for the privacy she wanted. "After all he'd come a long way."
I felt embarrassed for her too.

I think Asperger's should be more recognised, but he doesn't have to milk his so much. Perhaps his ticks a BBC box.

He did this documentary once, he had this obsession with finding this young girl.

"Real-life detective story. Chris Packham returns to Sumatra to search for a girl from a nomadic tribe he photographed 20 years ago to discover what has happened to her jungle home."
Tragic story, in that the family once able to roam the jungle, were reduced to camping out in a palm oil plantation which had replaced it. She was now a mother herself.
I think it important that this deforestation for commercial gain is exposed. She was embarrassed by the attention, but he had no respect for the privacy she wanted. "After all he'd come a long way."
I felt embarrassed for her too.

I think Asperger's should be more recognised, but he doesn't have to milk his so much. Perhaps his ticks a BBC box.

:rolleyes:

While I'm at it.......

Much as I like her, Anita Rani can be a bit of a pain. She, a few years ago complained in the media that there wasn't sufficient opportunities for "people of race" on TV. This comment was mentioned on another board and the poster listed the dozens of programmes she'd presented for the BBC..... and I suggested there would be more opportunities for others, if she weren't on so many. (Wiki lists about four dozen)

She was on one today.

In my opinion, the BBC often keep choosing the same faces as they think viewers like them.
They might like someone else if they gave them a chance.

As ever, other opinions are available. It's rated 7.2 by viewers on IMDB.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7952848/

Well it was very dramatic, a bit "Raiders of the Lost Arc." or whatever, "scary jungle search" and all that.

My point wasn't about how popular it was with viewers, but about the crass uninvited intrusion into this woman's life. She was four when the original programme was made and he only had a brief glimpse of her and really only noticed her in a photo the cameraman took, when he got home. When he returned twenty years later she hadn't a clue who he was as she didn't remember the occasion. As she was four at the time, why would she?

A programme more focused on the plight of these people might have been better, but less watchable.
But there you go, "It's telly innit?"

I stand by my comment that he unnecessarily embarrassed her, she tried to hide away from the camera.

Wolf turned out to be very good. This type of horror/thriller thing is not normally my cup of tea but the story was engaging and the main parts very played. At no point did I feel that it was being dragged out to fill it's allotted 6 hours. The twists and turns in the plot kept you wondering who and what next all the time.

Wolf turned out to be very good. This type of horror/thriller thing is not normally my cup of tea but the story was engaging and the main parts very played. At no point did I feel that it was being dragged out to fill it's allotted 6 hours. The twists and turns in the plot kept you wondering who and what next all the time.
I’ve yet to watch that but I love Hayder’s fiction.

advertisement

Back