advertisement

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

Edge of Darkness is from the 80’s. Watched first HoC recently it’s a lot better than the American remake.
Right you are!

Totally agree about HoC. Watched the first series and a bit of the US version but got bored. The original is cynical and gripping (I'm sad that the ending is pre-spoiled but I guess it's almost inevitable if you're as late to this classic drama as I am).

Right you are!

Totally agree about HoC. Watched the first series and a bit of the US version but got bored. The original is cynical and gripping (I'm sad that the ending is pre-spoiled but I guess it's almost inevitable if you're as late to this classic drama as I am).
Edge of Darkness has the most original use of a Willie Nelson record, or rendering of.

Must watch House of Cards again. Ian Richardson was stunning and definitely worth seeing and much watchable than some of the current offerings.

There’s an excellent podcast on the Sounds under ‘The Gangster’ strand, latest series focuses on Brinksmat robbery.

Let’s just say Kenneth Noye was a lot nastier than portrayed on the recent TV series.

I just binged the Gangster Podcast on a couple of long car journeys, I really enjoyed it. I thought the Palmer one was the best but all three were good.

Cheers BB

Watched the first episode of series 1 of In My Skin last night, and thought it was stunningly good.

Troubled teen, coming of age story, set in Wales, with a brilliant young cast.

The last scene of the first episode is just mesmerising. I've rarely seen so many emotions conveyed with such nuance in such a brief interval.

Highly recommended (while hoping things don't get too bleak for the plucky heroine)!

Having read the Dark Materials books of Philip Pullman and seen The Golden Compass, I started to watch the BBC series on iPlayer, and have found it rather good.

I did wonder why they never made more films to follow Compass, but found that the project was scrapped because of religious opposition (The Vatican was unhappy with the Magisterium, and the US right-wing loonies were unhappy with Pullman's anti-religious bent (even thought this is considerably toned down in the film). Some people can't leave well enough alone.

advertisement

Back