advertisement

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Terror: Infamy ( series2 basically). AMC

After the first series based around the finding of the North West Passage that stood up well ( probably have been better without the mythical beastie injection), here is series 2 based around the USA Japanese community post Pearl Harbor.
Heavy reliant on Japanese spookies and a load of horse-and-trap for the first 2 episodes.

Anyone else watching Euphoria (Sky Atlantic/NowTV) ?

3 episodes in and i'm not quite sure what to make of it. is the "evil quarterback/jock" cliche worthy of HBO? why don't they explore why america seems to be the only place in the world where this is a "thing". nonetheless, it was clever/ironic/naughty of them to hire star college quarterback trevor lawrence to play the trans character (jules), who i imagine will bring everything crashing down as part of the ersatz moralism.

interesting that it's all escaped the fox news hollywood outrage radar.

The American Factory was really good; a documentary about the set up of a Chinese glass company on the former GM Motors site in Dayton, Ohio. The cultural differences were very hard for both Chinese and US employees to navigate, especially the decisions around unionisation. Bringing employment back to the area, with a 500m investment, was a massive commitment but the attitudes of the employees in the US, compared to that in China, were huge obstacles for the leadership team to accept and then manage. Similarly, the footage of conditions in the Chinese factories and the compliance of the employees to accept such working conditions was eye-opening. Well worth a watch if you enjoy a good documentary but beware the threat of automation!

Here's a really honest review.

https://www.ft.com/content/d5fe4b3c-c4cb-11e9-a8e9-296ca66511c9

Last edited:
NowTV is very much the gift that keeps on giving - allowing for the dreadful programme where Brian Johnson of AC/DC meets up with other rocks stars for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Binged out on the whole of the superb, but utterly grim and horrifying, Chernobyl last night. Very, very good. Same goes for Julia Davis's Hunderby, which passed me by first time round.

Now we are transfixed by Succession. Very intriguing that this has found a home on Sky Atlantic given it's obvious subject matter.

The wonderful film THE OLD DARK HOUSE is on Prime, in an absolutely beautiful print - one of the nicest prints of an early ‘thirties film I’ve ever seen.
The cast is good but I loved Ernest Thesiger’s camp performance!

Mick

NowTV is very much the gift that keeps on giving - allowing for the dreadful programme where Brian Johnson of AC/DC meets up with other rocks stars for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Binged out on the whole of the superb, but utterly grim and horrifying, Chernobyl last night. Very, very good. Same goes for Julia Davis's Hunderby, which passed me by first time round.

Now we are transfixed by Succession. Very intriguing that this has found a home on Sky Atlantic given it's obvious subject matter.

Chernobyl was an excellent show, while utterly grim and horrifying .

Watched the film "A Civil Action" on Netflix. An early Travolta film where he plays a brash lawyer who changes his attitudes when faced with a case which he turns down initially. Great film to spot other stars like Robert Duvall and James Gandolfini and oddly one of the Russian Nuclear Apparachnics from Chernobyl appears albeit briefly.

Its become very stylised...but I do like it!

Sadly very much style over content in the last series and what I've seen of the latest one.
There’s only 6 episodes and most of the first two have been full of draw out slow motion shots. Come on get on with it! Grrr. The music by Anna Calvi is great though.

I'm watching Carnival row on Prime. It reminds me a little of China Miéville's Perdido Street Station and Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples’ Saga comic book series.

Not sure after two episodes, but the pedigree is good and it is pretty entertaining despite the characters being a little more than one-dimensional accents at the moment.

Looks great too. A mixture of the Czech Republic and CGI.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back