advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson: IV VONC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The politics sketch
Operation Save Big Dog ramps up the day after the Boris music died
John Crace

From the delusional to purely transactional, MPs queued up with excuses for backing the PM

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...g-ramps-up-the-day-after-the-boris-music-died

Epic Crace, essential reading today...

Excerpt below heheh.

You might have thought that was a relatively uncontroversial proposition, but Michael Ellis begged to differ. Then he always does. That’s the point of him. He’s The Convict’s go-to dogsbody to clean up his shit. Keeper of the King’s Stools.

The politics sketch
Operation Save Big Dog ramps up the day after the Boris music died
John Crace

From the delusional to purely transactional, MPs queued up with excuses for backing the PM

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...g-ramps-up-the-day-after-the-boris-music-died

Epic Crace, essential reading today...

Excerpt below heheh.

You might have thought that was a relatively uncontroversial proposition, but Michael Ellis begged to differ. Then he always does. That’s the point of him. He’s The Convict’s go-to dogsbody to clean up his shit. Keeper of the King’s Stools.
Kwasi Kwarteng Unchained was on C4 News, the interviewer said “welcome back, it’s been a long time”. The Tories have boycotted C4 for years because they don’t get courtiers like Laura Kneusburg pandering to their lies.

Last edited:
He's finished. Still in office but not in power....

Wishful thinking. Chaos agents like Johnson thrive on distraction. Voters have short memories.

I believe that anything short of removing him from office immediately is a defeat for the opposition.

Perhaps Johnson will continue to damage his own reputation as well as the reputation of his party, but I think it more likely that any time given to him is time to distract and divert. In my view the best damage to the Tories would have been to have to remove their own PM.

I hope I'm proven wrong.

Cold War Steve

FUrLR4zWQAAaX6h

:eek: :D

Johnson in PMQ’s claims unemployment lowest since 1974. Does anyone know if this is comparing like with like? The means of calculating in Unemployment has changed many times since 1974. Is unemployment now, if calculated according to 1974 measures, really lower?

Johnson in PMQ’s claims unemployment lowest since 1974. Does anyone know if this is comparing like with like? The means of calculating in Unemployment has changed many times since 1974. Is unemployment now, if calculated according to 1974 measures, really lower?

I don't know the specifics of what he was quoting, but I think the generally quoted unemployment rate is the percentage unemployed of the available workforce, and this has generally been the measure since the early 70's. Unemployment in the 70's and 80's was generally much higher (thanks in part to Bozo's party predecessors) but has been on a downward trend, albeit with blips like the 08/09 crisis.

It is possible that the current 'official' rate is the lowest since '74, but you would also need to take into account other factors that have changed - ZHC masks some real unemployment, and there are now significant numbers who could work but are classed as inactive, and therefore not part of the figures, so it's probably something you could argue about six ways and they'd all be technically correct. The number of available vacancies could also be factored in.

I'm sure that his figures are given an entirely unintentional boost by the jump in vacancies caused by the exit of eu workers. It was reported on the beeb today that the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham are struggling to fill some 5,000 vacancies, for retail, cleaning catering and security staff among others, all exactly the kind of work typically associated with non-domestic or temporary visa workers.

The means of calculating in Unemployment has changed many times since 1974. Is unemployment now, if calculated according to 1974 measures, really lower?

The calculation method changed countless times in the 1980s alone. I can’t remember the exact total, but IIRC Thatcher changed it about 50 times, every time trying to distract from the mass unemployment her ideology was driving.

The calculation method changed countless times in the 1980s alone. I can’t remember the exact total, but IIRC Thatcher changed it about 50 times, every time trying to distract from the mass unemployment her ideology was driving.
Yes, my memory too. It would be instructive to calculate todays unemployment using the same measures as in 1974

Chris Bryant has written a letter formally challenging Johnson’s obvious lying over employment figures (Twitter). As ever if Johnson says anything to anyone about anything at any time it is safe to assume it is a bare-faced lie that serves him alone. A man of absolutely zero integrity or honour. The perfect Tory leader! #BackBoris!

I see that some Bojo zealots are calling for insufficiently loyal ministers to be sacked if they refuse to confirm that they voted for Boris in the Confidence vote. Since it was a secret ballot, surely all anyone needs to do is say they did vote pro/Boris even if they didn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back