advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson: IV VONC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this was a very good article in The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ge-of-the-showman-leader-has-damaged-politics

It applies to Donald Trump as much as it does to Boris Johnson. It goes back to Nero's famous comment that the masses are kept quiet by bread and circuses. In the case of both Trump and Johnson, they not only provide the circus, they are the circus. They are entertaining, and that appears to be the mark of the modern-day political leader - the politician as showman. As Hillary Clinton says, Joe Biden has done many good things, but he is unpopular because he doesn't entertain.

This is particularly true of the US celebrity culture, but Johnson, a man with a vacuum in his head, presumably prevented from imploding by the thickness of the skull, seems to have instinctively cottoned on to this - the privileged public school/Oxbridge nob posing as everyman, and openly laughing at the public that is letting him get away with it. But for how long?

The Times are suggesting 67 letters now in and a VONC likely on Wednesday (Twitter).

PS Nice summary of the by-election situation (Twitter). We are where we are.

A minor glitch, just one more rule change away from Houdini'ing his way out of that one as well. Only way he is leaving No.10 is either in a pine box or being forcibly removed.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ge-of-the-showman-leader-has-damaged-politics

It applies to Donald Trump as much as it does to Boris Johnson. It goes back to Nero's famous comment that the masses are kept quiet by bread and circuses. In the case of both Trump and Johnson, they not only provide the circus, they are the circus. They are entertaining, and that appears to be the mark of the modern-day political leader - the politician as showman. As Hillary Clinton says, Joe Biden has done many good things, but he is unpopular because he doesn't entertain.

This is particularly true of the US celebrity culture, but Johnson, a man with a vacuum in his head, presumably prevented from imploding by the thickness of the skull, seems to have instinctively cottoned on to this - the privileged public school/Oxbridge nob posing as everyman, and openly laughing at the public that is letting him get away with it. But for how long?
But they are not entertaining.

One is a corporate thug with no morals, the other is a rambling buffoon with no moral compass. They were never entertaining. We laughed at them. Frankly horrified that either is near a position of responsibility. Wish I could just sweep these types away. A waste of good air, both.

svasqqxej4j1.png

One is a corporate thug with no morals, the other is a rambling buffoon with no moral compass. They were never entertaining. We laughed at them. Frankly horrified that either is near a position of responsibility. Wish I could just sweep these types away. A waste of good air, both.
1000% agreed, but they clearly have conned a substantial number of people. One can only hope that the old saw that every country gets the government that it deserves isn't really true.

1000% agreed, but they clearly have conned a substantial number of people. One can only hope that the old saw that every country gets the government that it deserves isn't really true.

But it is true. Nothing truer in terms of nation states.

Russia deserves Putin. Britain deserves Johnson ... and so on.

The exception is a nation state with an installed puppet government empowered by an oppressive neighbour.

Britain voted [at least within the flawed system we accept as a nation without grumbling too much] for the Tory government we have under Johnson's premiership. I did not, but then often I am on the losing side. Even so, I think that a nation that voted [in the alternative voting system referendum] for the flawed status quo does deserve Johnson, even if elected by a minority of the voters at the last general election election.

Russia had a chance to choose democracy, but chose instead to elect Putin time after time. Russia deserves Putin.

The USA narrowly managed to avoid a Trump second term, but I will not bet on a second Trump term or something even worse after the next Presidential Election. The USA will deserve what it votes for ...

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
The Met have just murdered another black guy. Repeatedly tasered him until he jumped in the Thames and died. I’ve seen some footage on Twitter. Grim viewing so I won’t link it. He was initially holding a screwdriver, he dropped this and it was kicked away on the first jolt. The police just kept tasering, tasering, tasering. Absolutely disgusting. A rotten force that needs hosing out and rebuilding from scratch.

VONC in Johnson happening today. Just confirmed on BBC/Sky.

Can't help but feel this is tactical, get it done before the by elections after which he is far more likely to be voted out by his own party, of course if he wins today's vote he is protected for 12 months under the stupid Tory party rules!

Polly Toynbee in the Guardian:

Julius Caesar and Macbeth quotes litter the airwaves. I might add A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and Titania awakening to find she’s been sleeping with Bottom.

Can't help but feel this is tactical, get it done before the by elections after which he is far more likely to be voted out by his own party, of course if he wins today's vote he is protected for 12 months under the stupid Tory party rules!
But the rules can be changed apparently- by him presumably, so he’ll probably change it to 24 months!

He's probably also hoping for a post-Jubilee bounce.

Even if Johnson loses, I bet he'll do a Trump and refuse to recognise the result.

He's probably also hoping for a post-Jubilee bounce.

Even if Johnson loses, I bet he'll do a Trump and refuse to recognise the result.
I rather hope that's what happens. The more the party behaves like ferrets in a sack, the more they are exposed to the public as the self-serving charlatans and spivs we know them to be.

The thought of him taking his rightful place behind May as the worst PM ever is just so delicious. The Brexit bots in the newspaper comments sections will go into meltdown. But it's only a small step away from what he inflicted on the country and part of me wants him wounded and limping on to face the music as more of it unravels and our status abroad falls further. His voting public deserve to fully wear the cost of supporting his vain posturing ambition.

As for replacing him, the Tory electorate are still brim full of infiltration from Kippers and other right-wing nuts and wack jobs, so look for the most unsuitable candidate talking rubbish about being 'world leading' - they are bound to appoint them.

My thoughts today are with Mr Johnson at this difficult time and I sincerely hope he passes the VONC with flying colours and is allowed to lead the Conservative Party into the history books.

#BackBoris

The thought of him taking his rightful place behind May as the worst PM ever is just so delicious.
I'd put Thatcher ahead of May in the pantheon of worst PMs ever. I know she gets a lot of credit in some circles for fixing things that had broken by the 1970s, but many would argue that her cure was, certainly in the long term, worse than the disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back