advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruth(the mooth)Davidson is now saying Boris Johnson is unfit for office, to be fair I don't think she's ever been a fan.

The Times is on his case again. They also have a feature on Baroness Davidson saying his position is untenable, but it's beind their paywall.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Ff9ce46a2-7af4-11ec-a9ac-7b4ca33c4cb4.jpg

Thanks for the link.

But gah, the fawning! Parts of it are like reading obsequious syrup.

It's a fawning piece as she joins Times Radio. None of his corruption, incompetence, dishonesty, narcissism and grifting were ever a secret. Too many people preferred not to look.

Ruth(the mooth)Davidson is now saying Boris Johnson is unfit for office, to be fair I don't think she's ever been a fan.
She accepted a peerage from him. Maybe he thought she would be hypocritical enough to accept it and he would buy her off? She’s lionised by a faction of the Tory press in England but their readers wouldn’t have seen her hapless performances against Sturgeon in Parliament - all surface, an ear for a sound bite, she presided over a period in opposition which not only failed to land a glove on the SNP but saw a massive rise in voting for the SNP.

Her two successors in Scotland have been utterly incompetent- the Newton Mearns pantomime dame Jackson Carlaw told to step aside by Johnson and his successor Murray Ross who’s bitten Johnson on the arse. They’re facing annihilation at the next GE.

The Tory MP William Wragg who has made criminal allegations of blackmail to the police has opened a can of worms. I’m assuming the content is something other than withdrawing funding from his constituency and more to do with threatening to make public personal details?

IANAL However I suspect the critical distinction is between:

1) 'Personal threats' like: "If you do this you'll never been offerred a plumb job with the Party or get to be a Minister."

and

2) Other threats like: "If you don't follow our orders the people in your *constituency* will suffer - because we'll block them getting what *Government* would otherwise give them on a rational basis that treats them on the same as all other constiuents elsewhere".

(1) is a matter of the individual MP's standing in the party.

(2) Is more a matter of blackmail on the basis of *Government* actions out of spite used as a threat. And attempts to subvert the conscience and decisions an MP is meant to take for the sake of his constituents.

I'd regard (1) as routine. But (2) may be a criminal threat or blackmail.

That said, yes, I'd expect "Shut up or we'll tell you family some nasty secret you've kept from them" might well be blackmail/intimidation or similar.

Of course, the whips will deny everything. That's what whips do. 8-]

How can anyone who's watched the documentary Yes Prime Minister possibly claim not to know about blackmail and corruption in politics?

Last edited:
IANAL However I suspect the critical distinction is between:

1) 'Personal threats' like: "If you do this you'll never been offerred a plumb job with the Party or get to be a Minister."

and

2) Other threats like: "If you don't follow our orders the people in your *constituency* will suffer - because we'll block them getting what *Government* would otherwise give them on a rational basis that treats them on the same as all other constiuents elsewhere".

(1) is a matter of the individual MP's standing in the party.

(2) Is more a matter of blackmail on the basis of *Government* actions out of spite used as a threat. And attempts to subvert the conscience and decisions an MP is meant to take for the sake of his constituents.

I'd regard (1) as routine. But (2) may be a criminal threat or blackmail.

That said, yes, I'd expect "Shut up or we'll tell you family some nasty secret you've kept from them" might well be blackmail/intimidation or similar.

Of course, the whips will deny everything. That's what whips do. 8-]

It's corruption, or to be specific, 'state capture':

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/op...overnment-blackmail-tory-whips-corruption-mps

Just read this in a Guardian article about Jacinda Ardern having to cancel her wedding:

Asked about her wedding cancellation, Ardern said: “Such is life. I am no different to, dare I say, thousands of other New Zealanders who have had much more devastating impacts felt by the pandemic. The most gutting of which is the inability to be with a loved one sometimes when they’re gravely ill. That will far, far outstrip any sadness I experience.”

Quite a contrast...

51837898939_113edf8122_n.jpg

Not exactly Tory corruption, but the government declaring war on people working from home at a time when government has issued advise that people should work from home where possible is a demonstration of this governments hopeless, clueless, confusion.

But perhaps more important than hopeless confusion over our government reaction to Covid is the utter madness of the longer term implications for the environment of forcing people to travel unnecessarily. If we are serious about tackling climate change, working from home where possible has to be one small positive step forward.

Just read this in a Guardian article about Jacinda Ardern having to cancel her wedding:

Asked about her wedding cancellation, Ardern said: “Such is life. I am no different to, dare I say, thousands of other New Zealanders who have had much more devastating impacts felt by the pandemic. The most gutting of which is the inability to be with a loved one sometimes when they’re gravely ill. That will far, far outstrip any sadness I experience.”

Quite a contrast...

if only we had adult leaders like her in the UK. We can but dream.

Last edited:
51837898939_113edf8122_n.jpg

Not exactly Tory corruption, but the government declaring war on people working from home at a time when government has issued advise that people should work from home where possible is a demonstration of this governments hopeless, clueless, confusion.

But perhaps more important than hopeless confusion over our government reaction to Covid is the utter madness of the longer term implications for the environment of forcing people to travel unnecessarily. If we are serious about tackling climate change, working from home where possible has to be one small positive step forward.

it’s just another facet to the war on woke. So depressing.

Quite a contrast...
Yes well she is a proper leader with integrity not an entitled conman and chancer.
Apologies Neil- crossed in the post.

it’s just another facet to the war on woke. So depressing.

“The Blob” is a term Michael Gove used to declare war on ‘progressive’ forces in teaching.

Gove sees himself as a revolutionary fighting the Blob's "progressive" grip over teacher training, classroom standards and qualifications.

Michael Gove saw Sally Morgan as an ally in this fight - even though she is a Labour peer

He appointed her to chair the schools inspectors organisation Ofsted after admiring her passionate advocacy for the academies created by her old boss Tony Blair.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26008962
Terms such as ‘blob’ show just how regressive the basis of the War on Woke is.

Difficult to understand the growth in popularity of regressive politics.

I guess it has something to do with the conflict between individualism and social goods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back