advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Front page of the Daily Record (Scottish equivalent of the Mirror)

_122924414_record.png

There's a rather good article in the Financial Times from a former Tory government minister, entitled "Britain needs a new era of serious leaders". A sample:

Boris Johnson is a terrible prime minister and a worse human being. But he is not a monster newly sprung from a rent between this world and the next. Twenty years have passed since the Conservative party first selected him as a candidate. Michael Howard and David Cameron made him a shadow minister, and Theresa May gave him the Foreign Office. Thirty years of celebrity made him famous for his mendacity, indifference to detail, poor administration, and inveterate betrayal of every personal commitment. Yet, knowing this, the majority of Conservative MPs, and party members, still voted for him to be prime minister. He is not, therefore, an aberration, but a product of a system that will continue to produce terrible politicians long after he is gone.

The great Proroger...

FJixZaBXwAIqSmj

I was shocked to see this -- the first time since when I was at school. One reason I was shocked is that the same thing could be said now as was said in 1653.

But the most shocking thing comes when we read Cromwell's speech and remember the disappointment and sense of helplessness that so many people here feel about politics today. Because Cromwell's solution was to breech a real 21st century taboo, and to say to Parliament "I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place."

I have a cassette of his speeches a friend gave me when he was a post doc at Milan University 30 years ago. We used to toot and put them on and would end up doing the dead fly on the floor when he introduced the odd English expression- usually ranting about Churchill and the Americans.

The Tory MP William Wragg who has made criminal allegations of blackmail to the police has opened a can of worms. I’m assuming the content is something other than withdrawing funding from his constituency and more to do with threatening to make public personal details?
Johnson is coordinating* the inquisition from Chequers apparently and Graham Greene- Grant Schapps is said to be running a spreadsheet of backsliders and plotters for coercion. All hands on deck to save Big Defaecator.

*taking calls of a Darius Guppy nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back