advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

The new Arve Henriksen and Harmen Fraanje, Touch Of Time got a couple of plays last night.
Very chilled, beautiful, spare playing - really looking forward to seeing them at Kings Place in November.

The new Nubiyan Twist album - Find Your Flame - is out (ish). Lots of white vinyl versions, but Rough Trade have a limited amount in purple:

Hopefully one of those will be landing here today or tomorrow. Ordered ages ago! Hope it is as good, and as good sounding, as the first (double) album. Managed to snag a fully signed green copy of the first one, but there didn’t seem to be any of this one.

I’ve just looked at the playing times from the Nubiyan Twist and I’m not expecting this one to sound good at all. Six four to five minute tracks a side guarantees a low cut level and no dynamic range. Sadly all too often the case these days. Why they didn’t cut it as a double like the first one is beyond me. That plays for 13-15 minutes a side and sounds stunning. Such a great record.

Having ignored this thread for so long, I decided to start at the beginning, and this :

Charles Lloyd: Wild Man Dance - a live show from a few years ago released last year. In a tradition from both John and Alice Coltrane with a jazz quarter playing alongside two Greek instrumentalists - and sounds much better than that promises.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TXW3OKO/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Led to that:

Charles McPherson - Reverence

or here (for amazon.co.uk) link.

Well, it's maybe not "new" jazz, but it is recently recorded live session. Sounds like it was recorded in a small club, where you can see the musicians close up.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back