advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

I went for the RT green signed variant earlier (I’d have been tempted by the signed black at Bleep had I seen it). The track on Bandcamp sounds great.

I went for the white vinyl with signed print but I see there's now also a £150 box set!

Lift off lid box with crushed emerald felt lining, Includes Embossed Gatefold edition Double Tri-Colour Splatter Vinyl.
Includes Signed Insert, Limited edition Black Classical Music branded ProMark Drum Sticks, and branded Afro Comb.

I find Halsall a bit hit and miss, but I’ve taken a punt on the 300 ltd signed clear copy at Rough Trade.

52990895774_01dc974f8a_b.jpg

New Andy Hay, Children Of The Sun, turned up today. Another beautiful hand painted self-produced slab of spiritual jazz, stunningly recorded and mastered too, really sounds great. Available from his Bandcamp.

This is an interesting one although a bit expensive. I am big fan of the early Murray but have not heard anything he has done for at least the last decade. This could be worthwhile....

I am big fan of the early Murray but have not heard anything he has done for at least the last decade.

I saw him play at The Vortex in London a few years back. I have no idea why he was playing a 100 capacity(!) club but I guess that's the way of things - for every booking on a concert stage there are a bunch of club dates.

David Murray is an original and definitely one of the great, more recent jazz musicians. I really can't fathom why he doesn't get more hype and instead young, second rate copycat artists (you know who they are) get all the limelight.

The one and only time I saw him was the Village Vanguard with his classic quartet comprising John Hicks, Ray Drummond and Ed Blackwell (!!). He was so mesmerizing that I stayed for all 3 sets. This was during the time long ago when the Vanguard allowed you to enter the club at anytime and stay for as long as you like on a single entry fee.

advertisement

Back