Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A Thread for New Jazz

Discussion in 'music' started by kjb, Feb 6, 2016.

1. dave charlton

dave charlton Canny member

Jeff Parker record shopping at Amoeba Records :-

mikechadwick likes this.
  2. hockman

hockman pfm Member

Most interesting choices from a most interesting musician. I like Jeff Parker.

What struck me was the number of reissued albums compared to early/original pressings that he picked up. I assume those were what was available even in a large store like Amoeba.

3. kjb

kjb pfm Member

I finally got round to playing this all the way through on Qobuz.

It is quite beautiful with some superb arrangements for both the quintet and the strong quartet.

In a lesson to Blue Note, you can either get this and the companion record Belladonna as two CDs for around £13 each or a double vinyl package for £31. It'll still probably be first press as well.

Amazon.co.uk : mary halvorson amaryllis

poco a poco likes this.
  4. dave charlton

I like Jeff Parker too. Watched this last night, really cool with Makaya et al. Defining the new jazz imo.

kjb likes this.
  5. poco a poco

poco a poco I'm Jim

I have been streaming some of Mathew Shipp’s new trio album World Construct that is on Bandcamp:
    https://matthewshipp.bandcamp.com/ as I bought and enjoyed his last solo album Codebreaker. Can also be preordered as a CD from Amazon due for 26th August release.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09XVLQVDP/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

There is an interesting interview on YouTube with Ken Micallef about composition, improvisation, spiritual jazz, John & Alice Coltrane and ALbert Ayler.

6. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Original pressings of the LPs on Tribe and Strata go for £300+

7. dave charlton

Enjoyed that thanks, although a little deep for me in places. Matthew Shipp and John Butcher featured in concert on a Radio 3 jazz programme a while back. Recorded live at Cafe Oto IIRC, stunning music and recording.

8. hockman

hockman pfm Member

Defining the jazz indeed. Makaya I like too but his recent album Deciphering the Message didn't quite work for me. In the Moment is good and Universal Beings is a monster.

9. kjb

kjb pfm Member

Quoting myself...

A vinyl copy arrived today. It is very good indeed.

I'm not sure where it was pressed - the sleeve says it was made in the Netherlands - but this is one of the flattest, quietest records I've bought for an age. Not a single click and no crackle in the lead in or run off grooves.

Impressive and a big improvement on Cecile McLoran Savant's Ghost Ship on the same label, but made in Germany, which I had to return and then received a just about acceptable but less than glitch free replacement. Some you win ....

10. Engels

Engels pfm Member

very very excited about this too

Previously Unreleased Esbjörn Svensson Solo Piano Album Out Soon:

A never-before-heard Esbjörn Svensson solo album, recorded only a few weeks before his sudden death in 2008, has been rediscovered and will be released worldwide on November 18 via ACT Music. Ahead of its release, the music from HOME.S will be played in its entirety during a series of audio-visual concerts at Sven-Harry’s Art Museum in Stockholm, Sweden, from September 15-18.

HOME.S. - Esbjörn Svensson (esbjornsvensson.se)

ask and kjb like this.
  11. Theo

Theo pfm Member

12. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

My white vinyl version arrived this morning. I don't even remember ordering it!

Theo and kjb like this.
  13. Theo

Theo pfm Member

I'd forgotten too! It was about 6 months ago: I suspect it'll arrive today.

It will go alongside the clear vinyl version from Rough Trade (because I forgot about the first one).

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Got mine too, listening to it now. Really good chilled-out summer Afrobeat grooves. Liking it a lot. White vinyl very nice and quiet too if slightly dished (not enough to bother getting the flattener out).

15. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

Black vinyl here, sounds good. I think what I like most are the sweet harmonies, both vocal and the front line horns. As Tony says, just right for summer.

16. AGUYCALLEDSIMON

AGUYCALLEDSIMON pfm Member

Can't believe i missed this - i loved the first EP and saw them playing in southampton earlier this year and they were great fun - will order now

On a related bandcamp note, the latest Nat Birchall was delivered on Friday and am, only just listening now - very spiritual and Coltane-ish (but...do i mean John or Alice? - have a listen and you tell me :) ), but well worth checking out

vince rocker likes this.