Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A Thread for New Jazz

Discussion in 'music' started by kjb, Feb 6, 2016.

1. kjb

kjb pfm Member

Same here

Hopefully well packed for £6!

Only 24 remaining for those interested as of Friday 4pm UK time

2. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Black vinyl has '£9.60 shipping and tax for United Kingdom' - though I guess at just under £30 in total it's not massively more expensive than normal these days.

I've missed the limited white vinyl so I'm going to hold off and see how much the LP and CD are when they land in the shops.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Looks like you can still get a white one straight from Brownswood.

4. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Cheers Tony - just ordered!

£7.26* for unregistered postage but happy to have bagged one.

*I feel like some old codger moaning that a pint of beer used to be three bob!

5. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

Agreed. It sounds even better at the right speed :rolleyes: Guess who started it at 33?

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I played their whole recent double-LP at 33, all four sides, and thoroughly enjoyed it, before realising it was a 45…

PS One should always be as John Peel as possible in these things.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

For anyone who missed the Bandcamp/Brownswood numbered 500 white Kokoroko there is a Rough Trade 1500 transparent edition with free CD (looks like their previous 12” EP based on the cover art) up for preorder. They are doing an in-store signing there on the 8th April too.

So many issues of stuff today, there’s a blue ‘indies only’ one too! FWIW my approach, where there is choice, tends to be signed > numbered > anything else limited > standard.

8. dave charlton

dave charlton Canny member

Some interesting new stuff (imo) coming out soon from Melissa Aldana, Joel Ross and Mary Halvorson :-

jon l, kjb and Seanm like this.
  9. kjb

kjb pfm Member

I really like that Mary Halverson track - didn't realise she'd signed to a bigger label. It certainly seems to be reflected in the more polished SQ from the sample.

Produced by John Dieterich of Deerhoof!

10. KevinCorr

KevinCorr pfm Member

Subscribers to Jazziz magazine get 8 free cds or digital albums per year. The fun is that the magazine features great photos of the artists and info.

szczemirek likes this.
  11. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

True story: a promo copy of Robert Miles’ Children was received by an A&R at Universal Germany, who liked it so much he immediately licensed it for his territory. Only when the DAT masters arrived did he realise he’d been listening to it at 33 instead of 45. No matter, it was a very big hit anyway.

paulfromcamden and Tony L like this.
  12. Mike & Van

Mike & Van Banned troll

Used to listen to GP's show on Kiss fm in the early 90s. Remember hearing one of my fave jazz standards there for the first time, some fusion version of 'Night in Tunisia', though I like the Dexter Gordon version these days. He ran a club with the founder of Mo Wax about the same time, it was equal parts Hip hop and jazz, and much else in between, with a strong lean towards 70s soundtracks.

13. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

14. kjb

kjb pfm Member

Seanm likes this.
  15. Sonnyboy958

Sonnyboy958 Member

16. hockman

hockman pfm Member

All great stuff. I don't know Aldana and don't have any of the albums but very interesting playing. I've always liked Ross's music whenever I've heard it and Halvorson sounds really different on this track. There's some great jazz coming out from the younger musicians in America.

17. dave charlton

dave charlton Canny member

(Im)Patiently waiting for the vinyl release of 12 Stars. I'm hoping to pair it with the recent Out To Lunch re-issue.

18. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

UK jazz on the telly tonight. Not sure if this is a new doc or a repeat - will tune in either way.

Tina takes us on a musical journey where each city has its own unique sound and vibe, from the spiritual jazz of Matthew Halsall in Manchester to the electronic, emotional collaborations of Bristol’s Ishmael Ensemble, to the raw, impassioned, rave-inducing sounds from London’s Sons of Kemet. The documentary showcases live performances and interviews from some of the scene’s key artistes, including Emma-Jean Thackray, Steam Down, and Alabaster dePlume. It’s a fusion of eclectic influences and cultures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001770s

MUTTY1, darrenyeats and Theo like this.
  19. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Looks interesting - have set the record button :). Thanks for pointing it out Paul

20. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

oldius likes this.