advertisement

A light hearted wondering what is the best job in the world?

naimplayer

Aspiring to be a halfwit.
I have mused for a long time about this very tricky question. Suddenly a couple of weeks ago whilst watching some gardening programme or other on a Sunday morn being spellbound by Monty Don I noticed his two retrievers. Keeping a close eye on said chaps I observed that they walk into shot, lay down and sleep. This is consistent behaviour.

Ergo the best job in the world has to be one of Monty Dons somnambulant retrievers.

Any takers or other ideas?

Cheers ;-))

Ha ha, so your best job in the world is to be someone else's dog? Love it.

I don't really like work as I don't like the whole career game and have basically been uninterested in the actual business of practically every company I've ever worked for. So for me the best job in the world would be to have no job at all, but be 'independently wealthy' :). Then I could stroll around the countryside looking extremely smug and self-satisfied as everyone else scurries around doing all those pointless menial tasks that we like to call 'jobs'.

My brothers and I are all self-employed albeit in very different fields. My brothers develop tourist properties in the west country while I do freelance training and scientific management consultancy. We were saying how we all basically enjoy our work, and that we have many employed friends in 'office jobs' who are very stressed and miserable. I think that one of the keys to enjoying your work is having the degree of autonomy and control over our day to day lives. I have done 'interim management' jobs where I've had to go to an office, use office systems and IT, complete timesheet and expense forms, and I've never been able to put up with it for more than a few months. So are Monty Don's dogs fee to come and go as they please, or are they expected to sleep set hours in the garden...

I did see a joke video on youtube a few years back about some guy massaging tired female supermodels whilst they were on set... I could handle that I reckon... :)

Being self-employed makes a lot of jobs appealing that are unappealing if you are doing it for someone else. I basically work in a warehouse, processing orders; packing boxes and doing courier drops. It's the best job I've ever had because it's my warehouse. I couldn't do it for anyone else.

I have done 'interim management' jobs where I've had to go to an office, use office systems and IT, complete timesheet and expense forms, and I've never been able to put up with it for more than a few months.

For the DTI we had to fill in 3 sheets for expenses (credit card, cash, mileage) and submit these three sheets by excel, PDF and hard copy in the post. So the email had 3 excel files and 3 pdfs and then the 3 sheets as hard copy. We had to photocopy every receipt too. And we were supposed to know what was VAT chargeable and what was not. And not all retailers tell you on the receipt. I stopped buying Jaffa cakes for lunch on the road because I could not remember what to do.

Being self-employed makes a lot of jobs appealing that are unappealing if you are doing it for someone else. I basically work in a warehouse, processing orders; packing boxes and doing courier drops. It's the best job I've ever had because it's my warehouse. I couldn't do it for anyone else.

Great post. Most of my 3 years as a sole trader was performing tasks usually associated with being a labourer, but I loved it. Unfortunately it turned out that I was not a great businessman and made practically no money at all, but it was fun while it lasted.

For the DTI we had to fill in 3 sheets for expenses (credit card, cash, mileage) and submit these three sheets by excel, PDF and hard copy in the post. So the email had 3 excel files and 3 pdfs and then the 3 sheets as hard copy. We had to photocopy every receipt too. And we were supposed to know what was VAT chargeable and what was not. And not all retailers tell you on the receipt. I stopped buying Jaffa cakes for lunch on the road because I could not remember what to do.

I'm on the receiving end of expenses, pay claims etc - approving them or otherwise. Luckily we have a reasonable online system, which allows pdfs of receipts to be scanned into claims. I see no paper, although our finance team does (for audit purposes - we are a public body) keep the hardcopies. I love my job, and I am just about to step up into a head of department role, with overall responsibility for about 100 people and nearly 2000 students. Although sometimes it does have its tedious times.......today for example I am signing degree transcripts and results letters.....this is the first pile (of three similarly sized), and every page needs signing...

2018-07-25_12-09-45 by uh_simon, on Flickr

I'm on the receiving end of expenses, pay claims etc - approving them or otherwise. Luckily we have a reasonable online system, which allows pdfs of receipts to be scanned into claims. I see no paper, although our finance team does (for audit purposes - we are a public body) keep the hardcopies. I love my job, and I am just about to step up into a head of department role, with overall responsibility for about 100 people and nearly 2000 students. Although sometimes it does have its tedious times.......today for example I am signing degree transcripts and results letters.....this is the first pile (of three similarly sized), and every page needs signing...

2018-07-25_12-09-45 by uh_simon, on Flickr

so, what would you rather be doing then?

My best job was probably deck chair attendant or putting green attendant, although it was not very stimulating intellectually and boring in bad weather.

Being a patent attorney is intellectually stimulating, but is a bit sedentary and not out in the open air. But it is creative in a sense.

I can't think of any job without a downside. Maybe being an artist - but there is no guarantee of making any money at it. My ideal job would therefore be being creative in the open air. I dislike gardening, however.

It's clear; the best job in the world is to be President of the USA. It's evidently a job that requires no intelligence, no effort, no need for lots of boring reading and remembering stuff, no need even to try to keep your story straight, just a preparedness to contradict yourself and everyone else and even to deny under oath that you ever said it in the first place. In return, you get to swan around in expensive aeroplanes and play endless rounds of golf and give the occasional nonsensical speech, and your fans love you and your purportedly Congressional allies are too scared to say otherwise. And, in the event that you are not eventually appointed Dictator for Life (or, like Kim Il Sung, Dictator for All Eternity), you can use your position to fit in a few more lucrative business deals to bolster your income and build even more golf courses.

Being a patent attorney is intellectually stimulating, but is a bit sedentary and not out in the open air. But it is creative in a sense.

And quite good fun, I find. Besides, in the current heatwave, the last place I want to be is outside.

I used to live next door to the chief beer planner for Robinson's brewery. He put his heart and soul into that job.

advertisement

Back