advertisement

A&E Dilemma.

Bacteria don’t “gain immunity”. They may become resistant.

[PEDANT] Strictly speaking, the bacteria with minor genetic variations that allow them to better survive the antibiotic survive and replicate for longer and come to outnumber those more genetically susceptible to the antibiotic. You are, in effect, allowing the very nastiest bacteria to survive, and thrive while killing their less dangerous competition.[/PEDANT]

I got a bit of wood wedged in my finger on the knuckle, last year I knew something was in there and it hurt but it was not coming out.

eventually I went to the docs and it must have been just ripe because he pressed either side and a 15mm splinter of wood ejected out, it scared him and he swore lol.

It’s amazing how much pain a sliver of metal can cause.
Absolutely right! I once spent two days with a tiny steel splinter embedded in my eyeball following a bit of an accident with a 30mm Oerlikon. The pain, in both the eyeball and the eyelid, was excruciating until the splinter was removed by an RN doctor. I had a rust streak in the white of my eye for ages afterwards. The only upside was I had to wear a black RN issue Nelson's eye patch for some time afterwards, which I quite enjoyed.

Absolutely right! I once spent two days with a tiny steel splinter embedded in my eyeball following a bit of an accident with a 30mm Oerlikon. The pain, in both the eyeball and the eyelid, was excruciating until the splinter was removed by an RN doctor. I had a rust streak in the white of my eye for ages afterwards. The only upside was I had to wear a black RN issue Nelson's eye patch for some time afterwards, which I quite enjoyed.
Sounds nasty.

A few years ago during a routine opticians appointment, I mentioned I’d become sensitive to light, squinting in bright light when wearing sunglasses. Turned out I had a metal splitter embedded in my eyeball, it had grown over and an infection has set in. Straight to hospital to have it removed and following a local anaesthetic, the consultant carefully made an incision and succeeded in removing the foreign body. I thanked him for a pain-free experience. “You wait until the anaesthetic wears off” he said, “you won’t be thanking me then.”

And you know what, I never felt a thing.

There was one question puzzling the consultant, “Why didn’t you realise something was amiss, surely it must have irritated you?”

“I’m a contact lens wearer” I replied, “irritation is the name of the game.”

True story.

Who wants to see a photo of the 3" thorn that fell out a friends arm a few weeks ago after being in her forearm for almost a month? Her GP called her the Aligator lady due to her not getting a blood infection by some miracle.

Christ knows how she swerved that, it was barely visible on her arm a day after it happened. One day it just bled a little then presented itself at half mast, she freaked...
I was out on a MTB in Spain and came off, landed in some sort of cactus. Not hard out there, everything has thorns or spines. It bloody hurt and I spent hours that evening picking them out of my legs. Some remained as black dots under the skin and they took weeks, maybe months, to come out.

Thanks for asking and apologies for delay in replying.

My small leg wound is taking an inordinately long time to properly heal... but seems to be fairly settled now. I think I might be able to linger for months yet...

“I’m a contact lens wearer” I replied, “irritation is the name of the game.”

I wore hard contacts for a few years from the late 60s. Whilst working in a foundry, as a 'grinder/fettler', I got something in my eye. It must have got round my goggles. I didn't wear my contacts while in work due to the levels of crap and dust about. But when I got home one evening, my left eye wouldn't tolerate my contact. A visit to the Liverpool Eye Hospital next day revealed I had a 'spark' fused to the front of my cornea. They numbed my eye then 'scraped' it off. Result.. a small scar on my eye and I've never worn contacts since.

Some years later when working on the pointless task of trying to stop rot on the body of a 70s car.. I wiped some grinding 'dust' from a panel and winced slightlly as something seemed to prick my hand. I thought no more about it until months later when my hand started to become itchy.. between the 'heel', and my right pinky. After a bit of prodding, I removed a 6-7 mm long bit of black, uneven looking steel from my hand.

Rock 'ard me...

advertisement

Back