advertisement

A&E Dilemma.

When was your last tetanus jab?

Can't honestly recall, but I've had a few over the years. Many.. many years ago, I stood on a nail. The Tennis shoes I was wearing offered little protection and said rusty nail sank a good 1/2 inch or more into the ball of my foot. I took myself off to A&E where they obliged with a Tetanus jab. I asked them to look closely at the wound and they declared it 'clean'. A week or so later it 'flared up' and I started investigating. A bit of a squeeze forced out what I first thought was thick white pus. It turned out to be a 1/2 inch long sliver of white rubber from the sole of my tennis shoe....

Fortunately, I didn't die.

Update. Half way through an 8 day course of Doxycycline and it seems to be settling down. Still a bit red but less swelling, no pus etc. Only thing to do is finish the course and see if it flares up again.. in which case I suspect it might need 'opening up' to look for contaminants.

So far the only downside is that I will have to avoid the much heralded 2 day 'heat wave' mid-week...if it ever arrives here in the grim North West.. due to warnings about possible photosensitivity with Doxy. I tan easily, am already tanned and have never been sunburned in my life, but still not a risk I'm prepared to take.

Update. Half way through an 8 day course of Doxycycline and it seems to be settling down. Still a bit red but less swelling, no pus etc. Only thing to do is finish the course and see if it flares up again.. in which case I suspect it might need 'opening up' to look for contaminants.

So far the only downside is that I will have to avoid the much heralded 2 day 'heat wave' mid-week...if it ever arrives here in the grim North West.. due to warnings about possible photosensitivity with Doxy. I tan easily, am already tanned and have never been sunburned in my life, but still not a risk I'm prepared to take.
Do you feel there’s still a foreign body in there Mull? Also you just reminded me, doxycycline is first line treatment for syphilis and the lotharios apparently were upset to learn they couldn’t work on their tan while treatment was ongoing. Possibly explains Trump’s fondness for spray on.

PUT THE OLD ANTIBIOTICS IN THE BIN. NOW.

Never take less than the full course of antibiotics, that's how bacteria gain immunity :eek:

I think you misunderstand.. or I didn't explain properly. I was given stacks of ABs last year for a recurring dental abscess. I completed all courses. (Mostly Metronidazole) , but due to having to see two regular dentists AND attend A&E, AND being given supplies for a trip abroad 'in case'.. I ended up with more ABs than I needed., which is why I have some unused and 'in date' surplus.

Try not to worry.. :)

I think you misunderstand.. or I didn't explain properly. I was given stacks of ABs last year for a recurring dental abscess. I completed all courses. (Mostly Metronidazole) , but due to having to see two regular dentists AND attend A&E, AND being given supplies for a trip abroad 'in case'.. I ended up with more ABs than I needed., which is why I have some unused and 'in date' surplus.

Try not to worry.. :)

Fair dos

quite a few folks have `rescue` antibiotics in case they have a flare up of infection, its quite common for folks with chest problems to have these . then if they get poorly at w/e when everyone shut they can take if the nurse or gp tells them to

Who wants to see a photo of the 3" thorn that fell out a friends arm a few weeks ago after being in her forearm for almost a month? Her GP called her the Aligator lady due to her not getting a blood infection by some miracle.

Christ knows how she swerved that, it was barely visible on her arm a day after it happened. One day it just bled a little then presented itself at half mast, she freaked...

Years ago I was snorkelling, trying (unsuccessfully) to shoot edible fish among the rocks of the island of Giglio and bumped my knee against a sea urchin. Dug a few spikes out right away, but several months later two or three more appeared in a little light yellow liquid. There was no swelling or pain or pus. I had no idea they were there. They just emerged.

I, on the other hand, Just achieved blessed relief by finding (with glasses and the largest magnifying glass in the house) and removing from my thumb a metal splinter that must have been a massive 0.5mm long.

Funny things, people....

advertisement

Back