advertisement

84 Linn LP12 Suspension

rstloup

pfm Member
Hi everyone,

I recently added an LP12 to my system. I drove it home about six hours since I picked it up when visiting my brother. It got a full overhaul (Valhalla recap, new tonearm wire, ittok installed, new springs, etc) like four years ago from Shelley’s Stereo in LA, but I’m a bit on the fence about the suspension and the travel/transport it’s had (even though I took the precautions I found through various threads.) From some of the videos I’ve watched, of later models albeit, it should be bouncing for longer? See the video below.

https://streamable.com/xz0rvc

There’s a Linn dealer not too far from me in Saratoga, but they’re usually pretty swamped and hard to get a hold of for these tasks since it seems like it’s one electrical engineer running most of the repair work. Do you have any thoughts? How does it compare to yours? This is my first time handling an LP12 in person.

First off
Don't check for bounce with a record playing!

You need to tap or in the right area as well...or the suspension will not go up and down evenly

As an rule...I would ALWAYS reset the suspension after any movement of any significant distance...it's easy to do yourself and makes such a difference to the sound of the deck

So many people are afraid to touch their LP 12 ..for NO reason....there's nothing really inside! It's just a wooden frame with a metal lid and a crude bouncing subframe.... nothing to be scared of at all

Also...if the deck was new to me...I would take it apart and check that the spring posts were not bent.and hang down exactly square....as you will never get a decent bounce with bent bolts ( and so many are ) that Linn even make a special tool to check and straighten them

One last thing
Remember that the arm cable becomes part of the suspension on the LP 12 ...and it's important to get it's route and fixing length right for the deck to work correctly

First off
Don't check for bounce with a record playing!

Really, don't! Hard to tell from the little bounce it got but it certainly doesn't look too terrible.

Try to find the spot between the center spindle and arm mount where it causes the suspension to bounce straight up and down, no twisting or rocking sideways. Like a piston, straight up and down, and bouncing like a rubber band. It should be what the deck wants to do so if you can't get it to do this the suspension is not quite right.

Despite what Mynamemynaim says, don't try doing it yourself unless you are very capable and confident. You can do more harm than good. If you read back through the LP12 threads you'll find any number of posts complaining about how even Linn-trained professionals have messed up. Find someone well-recommended to do it, even if it means travelling.

Despite what Mynamemynaim says, don't try doing it yourself unless you are very capable and confident. You can do more harm than good.

Very unlikely if you're just adjusting the springs. Assuming the deck has been built properly in the first place it's an easy task.

Very unlikely if you're just adjusting the springs. Assuming the deck has been built properly in the first place it's an easy task.
I love the way that people who are "handy" always tell us how easy it is to do what comes to them naturally. It's exactly the same on beekeeping forums. Those who enjoy woodwork and find it easy keep telling us that we should build our own hives. And on motorbike forums, the talented mechanics assure us that we can rebuild our bikes with no problems. They don't recognise that theirs is a special skill, no different to being able to play the guitar, speak a foreign language fluently or bend it like Beckham.

I love the way that people who are "handy" always tell us how easy it is to do what comes to them naturally. It's exactly the same on beekeeping forums. Those who enjoy woodwork and find it easy keep telling us that we should build our own hives. And on motorbike forums, the talented mechanics assure us that we can rebuild our bikes with no problems. They don't recognise that theirs is a special skill, no different to being able to play the guitar, speak a foreign language fluently or bend it like Beckham.

Learning to play the Guitar or speak a foreign language is far harder than adjusting a couple of springs on a turntable suspension. If you can rewire a plug or do a bike puncture repair, you can adjust a Linn Lp12..no special Jig required either. There are countless guides out there on how to do this. You don't need to be a Magic Druid sprinkled with fairy dust before you can even go near an LP12. There's no degree in the art of LP12 Servicing.

The fact that it played the record while bouncing the suspension the way you did is a good sign. Make sure you have it on a level surface and if it bounces the way Mr. Pig describes you should be fine. The LP12 should travel well as long as you remove the counterweight, outer platter and have protected the inner platter from resting on the bearing. A well setup LP12 suspension should be fine for many years.

Enjoy, knowing you have a turntable that all other turntables are judged against!

The fact that it played the record while bouncing the suspension the way you did is a good sign. Make sure you have it on a level surface and if it bounces the way Mr. Pig describes you should be fine. The LP12 should travel well as long as you remove the counterweight, outer platter and have protected the inner platter from resting on the bearing. A well setup LP12 suspension should be fine for many years.
Can I come round and practise on your LP12? Obviously it will be at your own risk, and I'll be happy to have you watch me.

Can I come round and practise on your LP12? Obviously it will be at your own risk, and I'll be happy to have you watch me.

I don’t advocate working on your own LP12. It’s far smarter to have a factory trained representative work on the deck which shouldn’t be hard to find in the UK.

I also take my cars to the dealer when they need service.

I don’t advocate working on your own LP12. It’s far smarter to have a factory trained representative work on the deck which shouldn’t be hard to find in the UK.

I also take my cars to the dealer when they need service.
Sorry, l meant to reply to Tricky. It's his LP12 I want to get my hands on.
I'm with you on working on the LP12.

Funny this comes up now...

I spent some time today swapping springs and grommets on an 84 lp12, and then swapped an Akito for Ittok on another later 80s.

I do have the proper jig, which makes access very easy - couldn't imagine doing it without.. but this could easily be made.

The old original springs were about 3mm shorter than the replacements, presumably through tiredness, and the grommets were really soft by comparison.

getting that nice bounce takes some patience but if you know what you're working towards it's a straightforward diy job. If not successful at first you can just do it again and practice - there's not much inside on really, as was said...

I love the way that people who are "handy" always tell us how easy it is to do what comes to them naturally.

I understand what you're saying but it's not building the thing, just turning a few springs. Tools required: One screwdriver to get the feet off.

A quick Google search will reveal at least two set up manuals and a few videos as well on how to do this simple job....DIY god is NOT a necessity

Tools needed ..a decent spirit level
A screwdriver to take the base off
A socket or box spanner to fit the nuts on the spring posts
Two stacks of books / tins / whatever to get the deck in the air and allow access to the bottom

People will tell you it's a big no no ...and I know I'll get some stick for this....but if you lubricant the rubber bushes with silicon grease so the springs turn easily...it's a simple job to get both the armboard level and the bounce perfect
I would ONLY recommend the silicon grease if you are doing the job in your own home..and don't need to travel anywhere with the deck ...then it works wonders
Ok
Let the abuse begin!

It really isn't a difficult task to change out springs and bushes etc. It takes some time to get them singing in unison but it gets easier with practise.
I've cut a hole in a cheap IKEA table and rest the LP12 on that.
Now, changing a cartridge is another story - I had to resolder two tags last night!

advertisement

Back