advertisement

80s lp12/Ittok vs new rega rp6

The regas are definitely worth looking at, as long as you've got either solid floors or a wall shelf (or both). RP8 package value for ££ is excellent.
A Michell, either Gyro or Orbe might be an easier transition coming from a Linn, sonically speaking.

If you just want to listen to music and don't want to be bothered by countless 'issues', 'upgrades' and 'what have you's', get the Rega.

Regards,

Klyde

What issues?

Personally I think there is much myth surrounding the lp12. All it needs is setting up initially by a competent dealer, then to be left alone. An oil and belt change every 3-5 years depending on usage. Get springs changed if they start to fail... They last a long time though.

Wrt upgrades, they are totally optional and if you do want to upgrade, you have plenty of options.

I think that if you're struggling to get an LP12 sounding right and are constantly seeking upgrades, it's not the deck for you... I personally have only ever upgraded mine when presented with a bargain that's to good to miss.

They were all like that up to the LVIII, when bonding replaced screws. (It happened with some other brands of arm too) The LVIII Mk 2 took it further by integrating the arm rest to do away with the flappy stalk and having longer armtube/shorter headshell. I just sold my Ittok LVIIIMK2 for a couple of quid short of £800, which is more than new retail and almost three times what I paid for it. But it was immaculate, and boxed. I have no use for it now but I'll admit I was a bit wistful seeing it go.

$_57.JPG

That said, the LP 12, though it can sound very nice, is effectively a well engineered production of a design with many flaws. It can be transformed, (for lots of cash) after which it is essentially no longer an LP12. There are many out there which resemble 'Trigger's Broom'. I know of one where only the lid (and I'm not sure about that) is original. Everything, and I mean everything, including the plinth, has been progressively changed for new 'better' bits.

So on to Rega. I had a Planar 2 before my LP12. It was a decent enough deck but easily blown away by many others. I've not really heard any of the current crop of Rega decks but my question would be: Why not look further? You may come back to Rega and be happy. They're a good company. But surely you'd want to also check out offerings from Pro-ject, Mitchell, Funk Firm etc?

FWIW, I replaced my LP12 with a s/h Mitchell Gyro with Orbe kit and Audiomods arm. It has a number of issues, which I'm slowly sorting out over time, but it still blows my LP12/Lingo/Cirkus/IttokLVIIIMk2 into the weeds.

Don't rush it. :)

Mull
lovely arm,must have hurt to sell

What issues?

Personally I think there is much myth surrounding the lp12. All it needs is setting up initially by a competent dealer, then to be left alone. An oil and belt change every 3-5 years depending on usage. Get springs changed if they start to fail... They last a long time though.

Wrt upgrades, they are totally optional and if you do want to upgrade, you have plenty of options.

I think that if you're struggling to get an LP12 sounding right and are constantly seeking upgrades, it's not the deck for you... I personally have only ever upgraded mine when presented with a bargain that's to good to miss.

Ah, the voice of reason.

The dear old LP12 is nothing for anyone to be scarred of. :)

No need to think that one is 'better' than the other, that's meaningless - they both do things well; my first TT was an LP12, Ittock and Karma, I loved it and it really got me into vinyl. Now I use a Rega RP8 with Apheta, which to my much older ears, sounds great, not boring, and it does keep me up for hrs playing LP after LP. And when I turn 50 in 2 years, it'll be the RP10 that I buy to treat myself!

+ paranoia :D

Sorry linnfo, I know you bang the drum for Rega ;)

I have both in different systems. Nothing at all wrong with either.

Rega are a great company though, nobody comes close for customer care. The only other one as good as Rega in that respect is John Westlake, and he supports products that he designed but doesn't make. He goes above and beyond sorting issues that audiolab should but don't.

My LP12 is now over thirty years old on original Valhalla, the turntable has been serviced twice in that time.
Once set up properly with new springs and grommets the LP12 should not need any adjustment for many years in my experience. I am not hearing any drift in its performance at all.

+1 also for the Sole Subchassis, it proved to me that worthwhile upgrades can be had for the LP12 at sensible prices.

What issues?

Competent dealers outside the UK are as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth. I had an LP12 for more than 10 years, but I never got it to sound 'right'. My dealer tuned it in such a way that the sound had 'space'. He was one of those Hi End-ers and prefered his VPI Aries to LP12. Wrong choice of dealer you'd say, but he was the only serious hi-fi dealer in my home town (120K inhabitants). My Rega P9/Apheta makes me happy: it does music and it is fussfree.

Regards,

Klyde

P9 for me also , spent more time fiddling with my old LP12 than listening to music on it.
regards
David

I can see myself selling my mine from new LP12 as I have the 401 which is actually always fun compared to the linn

But reading Mulls post I agree I don't want to say bye to the ittok which is a lovely design visually due to its bulk and simplicity I think

If it was a good fit on the Garrard I'd have fitted it but I need to redrill the arm hole to fit it over the Rega and Sony PUA arms already in use for 33 and 78 use

I only know the early Rega range, plug play has its virtues and Rega seem to be tweakers heaven... Which is good

No brainer, LP12 when set up correctly is super, even a 1980's valhallah, if you get the itch to upgrade, which I have had from time to time, it just gets better and better. If you are happy with the Rega, no problem just buy one, but what you get is what is what you will have. It's your ears afterall.

P9 for me also , spent more time fiddling with my old LP12 than listening to music on it.
regards
David
What did you find to do? There's nothing to them. 3 point suspension, motor, PSU. I got mine in a bit of a state but with a really nice arm, sorted it out, one afternoon's fiddling and restoration, level platter, decent bounce, played records. No further drama. I suppose the benefit of Rega type designs is that even if you TRY to find stuff to do, there isn't anything to play with.

Competent dealers outside the UK are as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth. I had an LP12 for more than 10 years, but I never got it to sound 'right'. My dealer tuned it in such a way that the sound had 'space'. He was one of those Hi End-ers and prefered his VPI Aries to LP12. Wrong choice of dealer you'd say, but he was the only serious hi-fi dealer in my home town (120K inhabitants). My Rega P9/Apheta makes me happy: it does music and it is fussfree.

Regards,

Klyde

P9/Apheta is a great combo and will give an 80s lp12/ittok more than a run for its money.

P9/Apheta is a great combo and will give an 80s lp12/ittok more than a run for its money.

P9 was in my mind also.
I always liked that, an exceptional Rega.. :)

I think the LP12 is satisfying up to a certain extend, can be pushed far,
but at a certain point the suspension does not let you progress.

Thus my guess is, that you could push a P75 or Garrard past this point, and past an LP12.
To continue with the LP12, you'd have to touch it's holy grail, the suspension.
Possible, but my...

Maybe it's possible with Regas too, in fact I think so.
The motors are good.

A constructor who created some high friction bearings in combination with 3-phase 24V motors and a very sophisticated powersupply,

told me lately on the phone he has a new better version & dropped it into a Rega P6, just for fun. (Regularily he uses P8 & P10)

He invited me and promissed that thing would eat my DPS3 for breakfast.

The thought amuses me...and then certainly rather not.. :)

Realistically I expect there must be at least something behind it, otherwise he would not be that confident about it.

We'll see, goes to show, there are many ways possible.

This new drive/bearing combination in a Rega P9 would be an innocent and great looking giant killer then.

I think the Rega is satisfying up to a certain extend, can be pushed,
but at a certain point the lack of suspension does not let you progress.

I'm not sure if it's as simple as a lack of suspension. Plenty of decks with outstanding performance have none after all.

advertisement

Back