advertisement

80s lp12/Ittok vs new rega rp6

Hylobates

I started a thread about a new cartridge for my late 80s lp12/Ittok. However a friend of mine sowed a seed of doubt. Why not sell the old girl and buy something fresh and up to date such as a Rega RP6. I wondered how they compare.

Very different presentation indeed, much easier getting a Rega to perform, LP12 can be a pain to setup

There,s more upgrade potentials for your LP12 but I,d ditch it if you don,t have a qualified dealer nearby to make it sing
the upgrade options are many many depending on thickness of your wallet

RP 6 with Exact is allmost plug and play but that RP8 becomes tempting

Some time ago I had a home demo of a Rega P7 and was able to compare it with my LP12 which was at the time fitted with Linn Basic Plus tonearm.

My conclusions were that the P7 was a very nice turntable, we'll built with an excellent tonearm and indeed it was easy to set up. The sound was just different to the LP12 and to my ears I still preferred the LP12, maybe I had grown used to its tone.

I am not sure how the RP6 compares to the P7, I have heard an RP6 but not in my system.

Best thing is to try and find a hifi dealer who has an RP6 and arrange a demo, or even better a home demo if that is possible.

I started a thread about a new cartridge for my late 80s lp12/Ittok. However a friend of mine sowed a seed of doubt. Why not sell the old girl and buy something fresh and up to date such as a Rega RP6. I wondered how they compare.
No comparison if your LP12 and Arm are in good condition and the deck has been serviced and setup by someone that knows what he is doing.

I can see the engineering superiority of the lp12 but the Ittok looks very crude compared to the latest Rega arms. The arm tube is screwed on with self tappers for goodness sake.

Having had both and back to back the Sondek is a no brainer.

The RP6 is a great plug and play TT but in no way in the same league.

Try it and see. The Rega will be more neutral, no more mid-bass hump. Which one's going to have you surrounded by records, both in and out of their sleeves, at 1am on a school night, saying "this album's SOOOOO good, I'll just have one more..."? The Linn, every time. I've never heard a Rega deck that did that. Garrards and Linns, sure.

I can see the engineering superiority of the lp12 but the Ittok looks very crude compared to the latest Rega arms. The arm tube is screwed on with self tappers for goodness sake.

They were all like that up to the LVIII, when bonding replaced screws. (It happened with some other brands of arm too) The LVIII Mk 2 took it further by integrating the arm rest to do away with the flappy stalk and having longer armtube/shorter headshell. I just sold my Ittok LVIIIMK2 for a couple of quid short of £800, which is more than new retail and almost three times what I paid for it. But it was immaculate, and boxed. I have no use for it now but I'll admit I was a bit wistful seeing it go.

$_57.JPG

That said, the LP 12, though it can sound very nice, is effectively a well engineered production of a design with many flaws. It can be transformed, (for lots of cash) after which it is essentially no longer an LP12. There are many out there which resemble 'Trigger's Broom'. I know of one where only the lid (and I'm not sure about that) is original. Everything, and I mean everything, including the plinth, has been progressively changed for new 'better' bits.

So on to Rega. I had a Planar 2 before my LP12. It was a decent enough deck but easily blown away by many others. I've not really heard any of the current crop of Rega decks but my question would be: Why not look further? You may come back to Rega and be happy. They're a good company. But surely you'd want to also check out offerings from Pro-ject, Mitchell, Funk Firm etc?

FWIW, I replaced my LP12 with a s/h Mitchell Gyro with Orbe kit and Audiomods arm. It has a number of issues, which I'm slowly sorting out over time, but it still blows my LP12/Lingo/Cirkus/IttokLVIIIMk2 into the weeds.

Don't rush it. :)

Mull

They are different beasts, the rega is leaner, very clean sounding. The LP12 is warmer, more engaging, more detailed. I run both a P5/TT PSU and a keeled LP12, I enjoy both immensely.... The LP12 is definitely the better deck but the rega is still highly enjoyable.

I have a classic LP12 & I don't think the Ittok is a weak link compared to a RP6 as you seem to sense it.

So, like others have indicated I don't think an RP6 can be a step ahead.

With the classic LP12, there's 3 things that absolutely make sense in my opinion:
1) Have the arm bearings checked and fine adjusted, the armwire changed by Audio Origami.
The original armwire (incl.the external) is an absolute no-go in my opinion.
Then you hear your arm first time what it really is capable of, the difference is not subtle.

2) Get a Sole subchassis by Analogue Innovation, or any other aftermarket solution for sensible money you like.
I only have and know the Sole, so can confirm this is great and transforms the performance.
The original steel subchassis is seriously holding back what a classic LP12 can do, a circus kit however, in my opinion is not necessary, contrary to common wisdom ,
if your original bearing is ok, means, has no pitting.
Don't get persuaded into a circus kit if your's are ok, the difference is not really breathtaking in my opinion if you recognise it at all.
The subchassis makes a huge difference, though..

3) possibly build or buy s/h an external power supply, not a Lingo
I think this is worthwile, still have a Lingo myself but I heard and preferred others, i.e. Norton among others.

That's the imo sensible things you can do with a classic LP12, won't cost a fortune & is in my opinion good fun doing and enjoying the results.

Maybe you are satisfied and fine with that, depends on the music you hear, what you expect from your deck..

If you want more than this, the LP12 won't get you any further at this point.
Not for reasonable cost in my opinion.

If you want better than this, you'd likely spend ~3K upwards, perhaps with a few exceptions below that at good s/h opportunitys.

Personally, I would look onto the Well Tempered Amadeus the moment,
maybe listen to a Funk Vector and a Rega P10 among others

and compare to a simple, but keeled LP12 , preferably with an affordable system on.

If you like what the LP12 does, start doing your's as above.
If you prefer one of the others clearly, leave the LP12 at this point & get another deck.
Sell the LP12, or..just keep it as it is. :)

..and Mull is right...take your time, don't rush it. :)

The deck you get should be more satisfying overall, in every aspect,
otherwise you'd risk turnring in circles & you prefer some music on deck A and some other music on deck B..

The linn is the better turntable by a country mile. Not too sure about the Ittok, though - it's the classic combination, but I'd go with a Dynavector or an SME.

The RP6 turntable would be a sideways move at best. The arm is nice, but I'd be looking for better.

In any case, a Clearaudio would be a better choice that the Rega. Way better build quality, and the arms are excellent, too.

I had a LP12, Ittok 111, Circus, Lingo with full Inspire mods together with a Lyra. I acquired a modified GL75 which sounded so much better I sold the Linn.

If you just want to listen to music and don't want to be bothered by countless 'issues', 'upgrades' and 'what have you's', get the Rega.

Regards,

Klyde

I have always liked my LP12, even with the Rega RB300 and Elys. I started to love it when I got rid of my Lingo 1 and bought a Norton. I now have an Ittok LV111 and Esco Troika with Inspire sub chassis. I doubt I´ll spend any more on it ´cos the piano sounds just right for me.....

I preferred a Nottingham Analogue to both an LP12 and a Rega, so much so that having just got my hands on a WT Amadeus I realise just how good the humble Spacedeck is. Like other posters have suggested don't just look at one manufacturer.

advertisement

Back