advertisement

2012-2013 Scottish Football Thread.

Beg to disagree, Gassor. I think Celtic AND Rangers would be very welcome in the Premiership. Both massive clubs, with massive gates, and would offer serious competition.

Would be a disaster for Scottish football, but it'll never happen.
Massive baggage too, Nick. Still a lot of sorting out to do with both sets of fans before any other Association would have them IMO.

Massive baggage too, Nick. Still a lot of sorting out to do with both sets of fans before any other Association would have them IMO.

Yeah. Remember that time when all those Scots clubs were banned from playing in Europe and the players had to go darn sarf to play for English teams? :rolleyes:

Tickets are now going for £1500 (Radio Clyde) for the Juve game next month. For Celtic to be quoted as having a chance is remarkable given Juve can spend 10-20 as much on players as we can. Celtic seldom disappoint in European games, so here's hoping.

Gary Hooper and Victor Wynama continue to interest clubs down south, but hopefully we can hang on till after the Juve game. There are lots of things which go together to make a really good player - ability, strength, mental attitude, but confidence has to be up near the top of the list.

Hooper is full of confidence just now and knocking in goals for fun (as they say). 9 months ago I thought he was just alright with some weakness in his game, but now he is the most improved player I have seen for a while and a very complete player indeed.

Rangers continue to provide amusement and show their good natured approach to Scottish football
RANGERS fans have accused Dundee United supporters of trying to spark trouble by wearing Craig Whyte masks during their Scottish Cup clash next month. An Arabs fan group have created replica faces of the shamed former Ibrox owner in a bid to poke fun at the Division Three club a week on Saturday.

But John McMillan, Rangers Supporters Association general secretary, slammed the stunt as provocative and liable to lead to violence. The Ibrox club are boycotting the fixture but around 200 Gers fans are expected to defy the ban and attend the clash.

However, McMillan insists the masks are not funny and urged the Tayside club to ensure their is no goading of any Rangers fans who travel.

He said: “I was anticipating the United supporters doing something but I didn’t think they would stoop to this.

“It’s inflammatory to wear these masks and it’s disgraceful to even be thinking about it.

Yes the famous Ranger's sense of humour still prevails.

Tickets are now going for £1500 (Radio Clyde) for the Juve game next month. For Celtic to be quoted as having a chance is remarkable given Juve can spend 10-20 as much on players as we can. Celtic seldom disappoint in European games, so here's hoping.

Gary Hooper and Victor Wynama continue to interest clubs down south, but hopefully we can hang on till after the Juve game. There are lots of things which go together to make a really good player - ability, strength, mental attitude, but confidence has to be up near the top of the list.

Hooper is full of confidence just now and knocking in goals for fun (as they say). 9 months ago I thought he was just alright with some weakness in his game, but now he is the most improved player I have seen for a while and a very complete player indeed.

Rangers continue to provide amusement and show their good natured approach to Scottish football

Yes the famous Ranger's sense of humour still prevails.
Rangers fans wearing Dutch tops was just a bit of innocent fun too. B*stard, paranoid hypocrites.

The Ibrox soap opera continues to entertain.

George Galloway has called on Parliament to force Rangers chiefs to pay the tax debt of the fallen footie giant.

He wants fellow MPs to debate a motion on the seizure of £22million raised by the club's share issue.

Galloway argues the Ibrox regime must pick up the debts of their liquidated forerunner — because they claim they are the same club.

And his Early Day Motion sparked a counter attack from Ulster Democratic Unionist MPs who urged the Commons to SALUTE Rangers chief executive Charles Green.

They claimed Green and Ibrox fans deserved praise for coping with the club’s collapse.
Sun.

Celtic play Raith tomorrow so all the attention is on Rangers and Dundee Utd. Bit of a crunch game for the Gers.

They have tried to boycott the fixture for some reason which they are not sure of and have threatened Utd fans that wearing Craig Whyte masks is provocative behaviour which could lead to violence! Same old, same old bitterness.

They really don't see how the rest of the world regards their attitude and behaviour. Some fans are even calling for repraisals against any Rangers supporters attending. Bitterness flowing out in all directions.

It will be a nervous 90 minutes tonight against Juve. Well nervous for the fans watching. One guy on a phone-in said he hadn't slept since Saturday, I know how he feels.

The bookies only give us 4-1, but that's better than Barca, so we'll see. The Italian TV companies were asking fans when will they sing You'll Never Walk Alone. At the start of the 2 halves and anyone watching will be sure to feel the goosebumps on the back of their necks.

The atmosphere will be glorious, so lets see what happens. Mon the Hoops.

A couple of my colleagues were going to the game - told them I hoped their team'd get humped... Still, it'll be nice for them to get more than a half-full stadium for a change... ;)

A good effort by Celtic for an hour or so but they lacked any quality up front. Until they get one or two better strikers, this is probably as far as they can realistically expect to progress. I wasn't that impressed by Juve's general play but they took their chances well.

They are a poor Celtic team in a poor Scottish league. They have been beaten many times this year and are still tops .......no competition, simples.

There are no poor teams in the latter stages of the CL. Celtic played well for most of the game, but lack the quality finishing (as Murray says) of the best Euro teams. Ambrose was at fault for 2 of the goals and maybe it was a mistake to play him so soon after his exertions for Nigeria at the weekend. Juve will be a hard team for anyone to beat in the way they soak up pressure and then have lightening fast forwards who can play a bit.

The ref was poor though especially with the nonsense in the goalmouth which he allowed to the Italians to continually get away with. There was some magic from Pirlo all the same.

"The ref was poor though especially with the nonsense in the goalmouth which he allowed to the Italians to continually get away with. There was some magic from Pirlo all the same"
I liked the way he ignored fouls on the Celtic playersjust after booking both players. And what are the goaline officials there for?
I thought I was watching Stoke city tonight For Lichtensteiner read Shawcross!

I liked the way he ignored fouls on the Celtic players just after booking both players. And what are the goal line officials there for?

Exactly, I'm not one for moaning about whistlers (refs that is), but some of Lichtensteinwer's fouls were so f***ing blatant and the ref standing not far away does nowt Having just been fiinally issued a yellow card Lichtensteinwer does the same thing again and nothing is done.

At one stage Hooper was thrown into the corner of the netting ffs! Sending off was the only possible outcome, but no. What a clown, worst refereeing I have seen in some time.

The commission appointed by the Scottish Premier League to investigate alleged undisclosed payments by Rangers will not strip the club of any titles.

The company that formerly ran the club have been fined £250,000 by the Lord Nimmo Smith-chaired commision.

It was appointed to decide if the 'oldco' company broke league rules. BBC

So let's move on and forget the silly talk of the SPL having a vendetta against Rangers. And no more silly talk about Rangers playing in England because of the bias everywhere up here against them. Belonging to a country is like belonging to a family, you don't always get on, but but when the chips are down everyone has to rally together.

Scottish football is entering it's worse ever phase and we all need to see the bigger picture or there will not be much left to see in 20 year's time.

In the meantime
Hearts manager John McGlynn has left the club by mutual consent.

The former Raith manager took over in June 2012, but leaves with the financially-troubled club second-bottom of the league. BBC

In the mean time it's looking as though the Welsh 'Old Firm' will be plying their trade in the EPL next season & raking it in. Celtic & Rangers must look on in wonder.

Celtic & Rangers must look on in wonder.

There are so many reasons why it will not happen and just one reason why it should - money. But how long would it take either team to get into Europe? For the forseeable future Celtic should manage to win the SPL and venture into playing with the big boys in Europe. In England, who knows, and Celtic to my mind have got fantastic potential, but they would struggle for some time.

So let's move on and forget the silly talk of the SPL having a vendetta against Rangers.

No vendetta against Rangers? The same SPL that tried to strip Rangers of titles before it would be allowed to play football again?

The only reason no-one is appealing the £250,000 fine is because no-one will be paying it. The tribunals decision ran against HRMC's own findings and Rangers were in effect fined for doing nothing wrong. Celtic used EBT's in exactly the same way however the SPL's lawyer (who also happens to be Celtic's lawyer) decided they'd no case to answer.

The SPL tribunal was like being charged with murder but being found guilty of littering (just so Rangers could be said to be guilty of something).

For the forseeable future Celtic should manage to win the SPL and venture into playing with the big boys in Europe.

Do you think so? Not with 3 qualifying rounds next season and little chance of being able to sign (or even keep) decent players due to the lack of domestic competition for a few more seasons.

No vendetta against Rangers? The same SPL that tried to strip Rangers of titles before it would be allowed to play football again?

The only reason no-one is appealing the £250,000 fine is because no-one will be paying it. The tribunals decision ran against HRMC's own findings and Rangers were in effect fined for doing nothing wrong. Celtic used EBT's in exactly the same way however the SPL's lawyer (who also happens to be Celtic's lawyer) decided they'd no case to answer.

There is no vendetta against Rangers by the SPL, the SFA, the newspaper industry, the TV industry, the CIA or the SNP. Rangers were found guilty of using side letters continually over a 7 year span and undoubtably gained an unfair advantage by signing players they could not otherwise afford.

Lord Nimmo Smith in his judgment. "There is no evidence that the board of directors of oldco took any steps to obtain proper external legal or accountancy advice as to the risks inherent in agreeing to pay players through the EBT arrangements without disclosure to the football authorities. While there is no question of dishonesty, individual or corporate, we nevertheless take the view that the non-disclosure must be regarded as deliberate."

Celtic had one EBT and they paid the tax on it.

Anyway you have more pressing matters to consider. Charlie Green called it right when he said Rangers have the worse team in their history at present and the defeat by Elgin today has put McCoist again in the firing line. The team are embarrassing by the standards of the history you seem so anxious to cherish. And given the financial state of Rangers they are bound to remain that way for a long time.

advertisement

Back