advertisement

2012-2013 Scottish Football Thread.

Celtic will win. Ermmmmm...........that's it...........

It will be the football equivalent of watching the Monaco GP week in week out. My Celtic mates are relishing watching Rangers' agony but not the football that will likely be on offer.

The situation with Rangers might help Celtic in Europe, on the other hand it might not help them if there is not a lot of competition at home. The big issue really is what kind of shape Rangers will be in?

I think they will become a Newco and placed in the 3rd Division. Decisions should be made on the evidence of wrong doing and not the likely impact on every club in Scotland. But it could be the straw that breaks the camel's back for some in the sense of lost revenue.

The whole saga could become a new type of blockbuster movie - one without a single hero.

Rangers transfer ban ruled unlawful.

They are still guilty of bringing game into disrepute, but the sentence was found to be outside the SFA's jurisdiction. Problem is that the SFA could go for harsher penalty as they don't have a lot of options eg withdrawing them from the Scottish Cup. Also UEFA don't like teams going outside the football domain and involving the courts so they might take a dim view of Rangers behaviour.

It has been quite a soap opera up here with twists and turns every day since February and looks like it will continue for a few months yet.

Am I right in thinking that Gil Scott Heron's father (Gil Heron), who played for Celtic in 1951, was the first black football player in Britain to play for a professional team?

They are still guilty of bringing game into disrepute, but the sentence was found to be outside the SFA's jurisdiction. Problem is that the SFA could go for harsher penalty as they don't have a lot of options eg withdrawing them from the Scottish Cup. Also UEFA don't like teams going outside the football domain and involving the courts so they might take a dim view of Rangers behaviour.

It has been quite a soap opera up here with twists and turns every day since February and looks like it will continue for a few months yet.
The "Sion" episode last year might show how EUFA could deal with Rangers transgressions.

Voluntary arrangement rejected.
Rangers to be liquidated.
Does this mean they will cease to exist?

Voluntary arrangement rejected.
Rangers to be liquidated.
Does this mean they will cease to exist?

Yes Rangers FC will cease to exist.

A newco (new company) will be formed carrying their name, but it will have to apply to play in the Scottish 3rd Division just like any other new club. There are many twists and turns to come from this yet, such as some sort deal with the SPL to play in the Scottish Prem, but not keeping all their home receipts.

Rangers were also in deep shit over EBT's, and its huge tax bill (£70M?), but I guess this will not be an issue in itself if the present company cease to exist.

Who now owns Ibrox Park and other assets of the club will be an interesting debate with pending Court cases and alleged deals. I think Charlie Green will be seen a complete bullshiter (promising Gers would have £30m by the end of July) and Craig Whyte will come back into the picture big time.

There may also be legal reprecussions for Whyte and Sir David Murray over their stewardship of the company. HMRC will require a throrough investigation of how the finances of Rangers has been conducted and some people should be getting good lawyers. This will run and run.

Once the voting formalities are over, the tax authority will appoint joint liquidators from BDO to wind up the 140-year-old football club.

The liquidator has powers to examine the governance and administration of the club before its insolvency and report on any issues he feels should be raised with creditors.

Among these powers, include the right to apply for a court order to examine, under oath, people involved with the company.

The liquidator can also sell the assets and the business to pay off the debts and undo any dealings or trading which he deems to be void.

The months ahead are likely to bring more scrutiny on the roles of current Rangers owner, Craig Whyte, and the man he bought the club from, Sir David Murray.

It was during Sir David's 23-year reign that Rangers began using the controversial EBT scheme.
[/I] BBC website

So the wailing and gnashing of teeth is not over, there is more pain to come. You reap just what you sow.

Anyone worth buying in the pending fire sale then?

Steven Davis, Steven Naismith and Shagger McGregor. Valued around £3m each, with Shagger coming in at £2m. They should go for about 1/3 of valuation. I do like Naismith though, but he knows what would happen if he moved across to the other side of the city..

Rangers will not be able to pay 1/4 of their agreed wages, so expect a mad rush out the door when the window opens. See what I done.

I still can't quite get my head round this. How can Rangers still play at Ibrox, surely that is one of the assets that needs to be sold to recover funds to pay the creditors? It should be sold at auction to a consortium of all 11 remaining Premier League clubs, bulldozed and then sold to Lidl.

What about the gullible bears that have already parted with cash for next years season tickets? I guess their ticket is worthless unless Green (don't you think there is something ironic the last 2 owners of Rangers being called 'Green' and 'Whyte'?) is going to come good on them but paying £500 to watch Rangers playing East Stirlingshire et al week in week out isn't going to get 50,000 marching through the doors of Ibrox (or wherever they are playing).

It's all 1 huge sorry mess that was allowed to carry on for years with little or no interest from HMRC or the SFA/SPL until it was too late.

It seems C Green has an agreement with Duff & Co to buy the assets, if the CVA fails, for £5m. That might have been his plan all along as these assets are worth over £100m. Don't think many bought season tickets as there were concerns about what would be done with the money.

The blame for the mess lies at the hands of Murray and Whyte, not HMRC or the SFA. Afterall "who knows what goes on behing closed doors."

It seems C Green has an agreement with Duff & Co to buy the assets, if the CVA fails, for £5m. That might have been his plan all along as these assets are worth over £100m.

By forcing liquidation does HMRC hope that other bidders will come in for the assets and so realise more than the £5.5 million?

advertisement

Back