advertisement

£350 auto ultrasonic record cleaner?

I had ordered one during the Kickstarter campaign as the price, idea and company seemed OK to me.
I have wanted to try ultra sonic cleaners but was not willing to pay 4 figures for one or create a home brew version.

The company has so far been very good in taking backer's ideas on board. They recommend only using distilled water - no cleaning solutions.
So re-using the water would make sense, and based on feedback they have incorporated a filtering system using a washable/replaceable water filter.

Similarly, they have incorporated an air filter for the fans.

An economical accessory pack has been made available with 5 additional air and water filters and 2 pairs of replacement rotation wheels.

They met the stretch goals - so both 7" and 10" adaptors are now included with the original pledge.

So far so good.

The only real drawback I see (assuming the units are actually delivered) is that if something breaks beyond home repair, you have to send it back to Hong Kong.

I may well support this. Been looking for a VFM ultrasonic cleaner for a while. Good on these guys.

Moulds are completed and latest Instagram pictures show final packaging. First units are due to be shipped next month.

Hand on my heart, I hope it works but my gut feel based on using a number of ultrasonic machines is it probably will help but not get close to where you would want it to be.
The machines I used were not specifically designed for record cleaning but adapted in such a way as to do the job. Once you have selected the right capacity unit, you need to check its got 3 other important features, a drain, a heater and most importantly a multi frequency output. The new Chinese units available from ebay etc are in my opinion useless for record cleaning, they are noisy and the ultrasonic performance at 40khz was in my experience very poor. There are a number of comments on this thread which clearly demonstrate the posters have little or more likely no experience of using ultrasonic cleaning machines but life's far too short for me to waste time rebuffing them.
Using ultrasonic units I have cleaned hundreds of records, tried 4 different machines, lots of solutions and countless different procedures, non of this makes me an expert, far from it but it has provided me with me a basic understanding of what can be achieved and just as important what can't.

I must admit that my only experience of ultrasonic cleaning of records is with the audiodesk systeme.

This is a 40khz machine and has no heater, I’ve been delighted with the results, certainly much better than the Keith monks I’m more used to using.

If the humminguru comes close to those results I’ll be very happy.

I must admit that my only experience of ultrasonic cleaning of records is with the audiodesk systeme.

This is a 40khz machine and has no heater, I’ve been delighted with the results, certainly much better than the Keith monks I’m more used to using.

If the humminguru comes close to those results I’ll be very happy.

Me too David , fingers crossed for you and the others who have taken the plunge

advertisement

Back