advertisement

£350 auto ultrasonic record cleaner?

In the new year I intend building an ultrasonic record cleaner with fan drying and filtered/pumped reservoir.

The transducers arent expensive and id doubt if the cost of construction would exceed £200.

The Audio Systeme is the machine id attempt to improve on and there are lots of design decisions I need to refine.

Id like it to be easily servicable and not too knocked together looking hence happy to take my time.

I wouldn't spin dry my LPs either.

I would, if they were firmly attached to a spindle when spun fast enough to remove the cleaning solution due to centrifugal force. FAR better than air drying and redepositing whatever is in the cleaning solution, back on to the record.

With this vertical design, won't there be a risk of liquid running down over the label when the record rotates?

I can only speak for using the Velvet Vortex I mentioned upthread, but because there’s a surfactant (Ilfotol in my case) added to the cleaning mixture and the rotation is so slow, the fluid flows off the record well before it has been carried up to the level that it could run over the label.

I would, if they were firmly attached to a spindle when spun fast enough to remove the cleaning solution due to centrifugal force. FAR better than air drying and redepositing whatever is in the cleaning solution, back on to the record.

You could use a angle grinder with a adapter on the thread , I think that should give you 2000rpm for the water spin off

Hi guys, received my new degritter RCM a few days ago, wonderful machine with pretty look, well built and with perfect cleaning results.
Maybe the 120 kHz do the job, there is no need to vac the vinyl and not any trouble with liquid over the label.
Strong recommendation!

Hi guys, received my new degritter RCM a few days ago, wonderful machine with pretty look, well built and with perfect cleaning results.
Maybe the 120 kHz do the job, there is no need to vac the vinyl and not any trouble with liquid over the label.
Strong recommendation!

If I had a spare £2.3k, the Degritter is one that I'd likely get. They made a good job of how it looks (and performs) by all accounts.

Any method that leaves cleaning solution of the record to dry is a worse than useless design. Clean the record and then leave dirty water on it to dry and leave behind anything washed off the record.
Mad idea.

Agree with you 100% Vinny. To wet-clean a record, suction needs to be employed, i.m.o.

Was just about to say that any creator using the irrelevant term 'vinyls' holds no water in my belief. Unless, of course, one can successfully build an efficient motor car without an inkling of how one works. (Yeah, okay, a far-fetched analogy :().

Oh dear! Another rehashed thread!!!! Catches me every (waste of) time!

I've only had a quick look on line and spotted a price of £260 for the Humminguru. If it works (as in easy to use, efficient and quiet) , it looks like a potential bargain. Will be interested in views on here - even better a comparison against a modest priced wet cleaner (like my Moth) and one of the high end models that others on here use...

@david ellwood - cheaper and easier than making your own I guess!

advertisement

Back