advertisement

£1200 system - what to go for?

Definitely Epos, do also consider the less sought after M Series, M12,M15 are dirt cheap and very good, M16 not bad either.
Pair with anything you like, I'de prefer Exposure,Creek or Onyx, but you'de be surprised what a s/h old mid-to-upper-market Sony/Kenwood/Marantz/Technics can do with these speakers. Same goes for the CDP/Dac.

PS:
Sony ES range with rosewood side panels and matching veneer speakers?
http://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/vintage-sony-es-gear.114829/

Thanks again for the replies.

Space is 7m x 5m with speakers to fire across the 5m.

Streaming is not an option as in streaming from the net. Could stream from iTunes I guess into some sort of wireless device if that works better than a mini jack (never had good results from a mini jack to a hi-fi).

Would really like option of iTunes and CDs in reasonable quality.

A note about Naim.... I like Naim classic CB and Olive stuff. I also like their speakers ... e.g. Allaes, SL2s, Credos. I know a lot don't and that is fine, but I do hence why I was considering a Nait and IBLs or the likes. What I don't want is another thread to sink into any form of Naim bashing please. I totally get some hate their products and I actually get why, but we can't all like the same thing thankfully. Hope that is received in the constructive manner it is meant and I;'m not saying any bashing has happened, but just in case it heads that way.. thanks!

Speakers - are the Epos's floorstanders?

Thanks again for the replies.

Space is 7m x 5m with speakers to fire across the 5m.

Streaming is not an option as in streaming from the net. Could stream from iTunes I guess into some sort of wireless device if that works better than a mini jack (never had good results from a mini jack to a hi-fi).

Would really like option of iTunes and CDs in reasonable quality.

A note about Naim.... I like Naim classic CB and Olive stuff. I also like their speakers ... e.g. Allaes, SL2s, Credos. I know a lot don't and that is fine, but I do hence why I was considering a Nait and IBLs or the likes. What I don't want is another thread to sink into any form of Naim bashing please. I totally get some hate their products and I actually get why, but we can't all like the same thing thankfully. Hope that is received in the constructive manner it is meant and I;'m not saying any bashing has happened, but just in case it heads that way.. thanks!

Speakers - are the Epos's floorstanders?

I was about to second a Brio/Ela or Nait/SBL but afraid room is just too large

Perhaps Allae's will fill out better if you fancy these, perhaps a Uniti will be enough to run them ?
Uniti is 5i series amp/cd with 50 or 60 watt
As new Nova/Star/Atom range is out, market should flow with UQ/SU and original Uniti's

If you like Naim, get Rega You could do far worse sound wise.
Speakers should be Q acoustics 3050's. whatever you run into those will sound great.

Somebody was selling a Naim Unit in the classifieds for £800. Then add the Rega RS3s for £350. Job done?

There's a system on eBay at the mo of Rega Planet, Nait 3 and Rega Elas well under budget... That would tick all the boxes. Elas go very well next to a wall to so can generally be placed out of the way.
I've seen that and I think the speakers are EL8s, not sure how they compare to the original ELAs (and as usual the tweeter domes have been pushed in). Having said that I use a similar Rega Planet cd player and find it excellent (leave it switched on permanently or you'll never know how good it is) and have a pair of ELAs (mark 2 I think) in a second system.
I recently acquired an upgraded NAP180 (Avondale upgrades including latest NCC220 modules) to drive my Shahinian Obelisks and out of interest hooked up the ELAs to it and they sounded fantastic, in a room similar in size to yours and with a vaulted ceiling going up to 4 metres.
I paid £50 for the ELAs and although I got lucky you can find a decent pair for less than double that.
Contrary to some views expressed above I would say get the best amplifier you can, and that will make modest speakers behave themselves!
About 25 years ago I auditioned a variety of amplifiers and speakers including SBLs and ELAs and when I switched from the SBLs to ELAs I thought to myself "that's what I was expecting the SBLs to sound like", if you like Naim speakers you'll like ELAs and at the current price you can't lose much money on them.

I've almost dismantled my second system .
Nac 92/90-3/ Rega RS3 naim cd5 (2001 model much better than the integrated) naca5
I wish I had never done that, owing a much more valuable system, I've never done better with that budget.

What about a Naim UnitiQute 1 or 2 with matching speakers? I've used one with Naim n-sats and Royd Sapphire II's to good effect as a second system. I would take a look at some of the floor standing Rega speakers as alternatives, sorry, I can't remember what they are called. If you could get a nice pair of Minstrels they're highly recommended.

I've seen that and I think the speakers are EL8s, not sure how they compare to the original ELAs (and as usual the tweeter domes have been pushed in). Having said that I use a similar Rega Planet cd player and find it excellent (leave it switched on permanently or you'll never know how good it is) and have a pair of ELAs (mark 2 I think) in a second system.
I recently acquired an upgraded NAP180 (Avondale upgrades including latest NCC220 modules) to drive my Shahinian Obelisks and out of interest hooked up the ELAs to it and they sounded fantastic, in a room similar in size to yours and with a vaulted ceiling going up to 4 metres.
I paid £50 for the ELAs and although I got lucky you can find a decent pair for less than double that.
Contrary to some views expressed above I would say get the best amplifier you can, and that will make modest speakers behave themselves!
About 25 years ago I auditioned a variety of amplifiers and speakers including SBLs and ELAs and when I switched from the SBLs to ELAs I thought to myself "that's what I was expecting the SBLs to sound like", if you like Naim speakers you'll like ELAs and at the current price you can't lose much money on them.
You're dead right, they are EL8. No good in a 7x5m room! Vacuum cleaner sorts the tweeters out though...

The great thing about Minstrels is you can move them around when doing the vacuuming....if you vacuum that is....

Buy the Linn Classik in the classifieds, add a pair of Keilidhs or Ninkas, or a set of RS3s or RS5s, job done. The Classik is a cracker, especially for £300 notes. A friend has one with the earlier R3s and it never fails to impress, even though it’s not optimally set up.

advertisement

Back