advertisement

£1200 system - what to go for?

There are other reputable repair shacks that would cost less.....

Anyway I am not aware that this box has a history of unreliability. Friend of mine (sample of 1) has never had a blip in many years of ownership.
Given the OP is looking for a S/H system, I assume he is prepared for any risks associated.

Probably just me as I bought a Classik that went wrong a week after buying it and was horrified at the cost from Linn. Would never buy a Linn product again, which is daft as I'm sure they're decent.

If going down the Nait route I'd avoid the Nait5 - it shares the pre-amp section with the NAC112 which wasn't Naim's high point, and very likely to have volume control issues that can't be repaired. If you don't mind wide flat boxes a CD3 and Nait3 would work great and are both still serviceable. A pre-power like a 62/140 would be better, I prefer the shoeboxes anyway.

You do see a few Classiks pop up on eBay needing repair... but it’s a small number compared to how many they sold, it was a massively successful product, so you will se a few faulty ones. They fetch good money on eBay even when not working because they’re usually easy to fix (there are some surface mount electrolytics which can fail). Parts cost would be less than £10 to revive one. Linn’s repair cost is high became they change the entire main PCB.

If going down the Nait route I'd avoid the Nait5 - it shares the pre-amp section with the NAC112 which wasn't Naim's high point, and very likely to have volume control issues that can't be repaired. If you don't mind wide flat boxes a CD3 and Nait3 would work great and are both still serviceable. A pre-power like a 62/140 would be better, I prefer the shoeboxes anyway.
I didn’t know that, how about the Nait 5i

Probably just me as I bought a Classik that went wrong a week after buying it and was horrified at the cost from Linn. Would never buy a Linn product again, which is daft as I'm sure they're decent.

I think they are unsupported by Linn now. I bought one of the later ones brand new which had to go back to Linn for a new power supply (under warranty, thankfully). Sold it a couple of years ago for £200 and it was perfect but lost confidence in the product. It will probably be fine for years (I hope it is) but I would avoid.

You do see a few Classiks pop up on eBay needing repair... but it’s a small number compared to how many they sold, it was a massively successful product, so you will se a few faulty ones. They fetch good money on eBay even when not working because they’re usually easy to fix (there are some surface mount electrolytics which can fail). Parts cost would be less than £10 to revive one. Linn’s repair cost is high became they change the entire main PCB.
Linn's repair costs are a disgusting rip off. They want hundreds just to open something up. That's why I love companies like Sugden who charge you for what they do and that is never a lot.

Linn's repair costs are a disgusting rip off. They want hundreds just to open something up. That's why I love companies like Sugden who charge you for what they do and that is never a lot.

Agree with this. I think my Linn Classik repair was about £700. I wouldn’t touch Linn electronics any more.

Yes, the Linn Classik is a great little box of tricks. Whenever I plug mine in I find myself listening to a lot of radio simply because it's just a single push of a button away, and the quality of FM reception is extremely good. Mine is in virtually mint condition in its original box with all the accessories (also in great condition). I have an all-Quad system now but I can't bring myself to sell the little Linn.

Regarding Linn Classik repairs - as has been pointed out, there are plenty of places that will do them at reasonable cost, so you don't have to pay Linn's prices. By way of balance I once bought a secondhand Linn Classik that was missing one of its rubber feet. I contacted Linn and they sent me one free of charge.

Agree with this. I think my Linn Classik repair was about £700. I wouldn’t touch Linn electronics any more.
Ouch, that really is ridiculous! They used to be quite reasonable, I paid £150 to have a new main board fitted in a Majik I that I'd shorted out. Sadly it's not like that anymore. Plenty of good third party repairers out there though. They're not alone though, Naim and Cyrus are rather pricey too. They ought to example from companies like Rega or Densen.

So did we establish; Compact 7 plus cheap Kenwood integrated from the 90s? Plus half decent budget cd player? (Or you could get an old Naim one, just to keep with your roots, and still be in budget)

Ouch, that really is ridiculous! They used to be quite reasonable, I paid £150 to have a new main board fitted in a Majik I that I'd shorted out. Sadly it's not like that anymore. Plenty of good third party repairers out there though.

I know, just daft. Fortunately it was warranty, but even then I remember it being difficult. The date was on the cusp of warranty and IIRC (it was some time ago) Linn argued the warranty started when the distributor shipped it and not when I paid for it. After a couple of stern conversations they agreed with me. Salisbury only for me now (apart from LP12’s...).

Back on topic, Naim amp and CD player (models that can be worked on easily by MJS etc) with some ProAc’s.

I think they are unsupported by Linn now. I bought one of the later ones brand new which had to go back to Linn for a new power supply (under warranty, thankfully). Sold it a couple of years ago for £200 and it was perfect but lost confidence in the product. It will probably be fine for years (I hope it is) but I would avoid.

If looking at the LK range I'd much rather choose a Majik-i and a seperate cd player

LK Majik is near bomb proof and nice friendly sound, albeit a bit old by now.

If looking at the LK range I'd much rather choose a Majik-i and a seperate cd player

LK Majik is near bomb proof and nice friendly sound, albeit a bit old by now.
They’re very underrated, excellent little amp... just don’t short the outputs, they don’t like it. That aside, they are very reliable, if you don’t neglect them, they will last forever.

If you’re buying a Majik, a Genki is the ideal matching CD player, they’re also very reliable and sound great. Possibly a shade behind a Karik 3 in terms of sound but less likely to fail and you can still buy the laser.

advertisement

Back