advertisement

£1200 system - what to go for?

If I remember correctly, the 5i has a passive preamp design. So it's basically just a pot and input selector in front of a power amp. Certainly easier to replace those parts!
If it works then it's all good. ISTR that the problem with the Nait 5 was with the control logic, not the pot itself, I've seen them stuck in mute with the front panel buttons flashing. I wasn't aware that they couldn't be fixed though.

I do have a soft spot for the Nait 3/3R, basically a Nac92/Nap90 in a single chassis, great little amp.

Haven't read whole thread so may be repeating a previous post. The high-end Cambridge Azur range is absurdly good, and wonderful value second hand. This would leave plenty of budget for decent speakers, even a slightly tatty pair of Yamaha NS1000Ms.

Nic P

Just found a Marantz CD52 SE in the loft, forgot I had that. If it works will it still stack up as a reasonable CD player or has CD technology just moved too far on. Menas budget for rest of system has just effectively increased on a component basis if it's usable.

+1 with "... The high-end Cambridge Azur range is absurdly good, and wonderful value second hand. This would leave plenty of budget for decent speakers, even a slightly tatty pair of Yamaha NS1000Ms."

My first 'modern' system' comprised a Cambridge Audio 640v2, the 640 cd player and Epos M5 'speakers. Pleased me for a while. When I got back into vinyl, I added their 640P. All was well and most enjoyable for many trouble-free years.

The 640v2 has remained in my system, I upgraded(?) to Usher 604 floor standers, and I bought another CA640v2, so I could have each 'speaker fed from one CA640, thus having full control of mute, volume and balance, remotely. A neat trick of these amplifiers is that if they don't like the 'speaker load at the set volume, they will turn themselves down! 10+ years, and still trouble-free.

Haven't read whole thread so may be repeating a previous post. The high-end Cambridge Azur range is absurdly good, and wonderful value second hand. This would leave plenty of budget for decent speakers, even a slightly tatty pair of Yamaha NS1000Ms.

Yeah, the CA Azur stuff is really good. Punches well above it's weight, my ex FIL has a setup that's quite amazing - 640, CD player, DAB tuner and a pair of Dali Lektors. Sounds bloody brill.

You can get a cracking system for that money and the thing is buying second hand if you don't like something or it doesn't work in the room/system you can sell it on at no loss or very little.

I have no knowledge or experience of Cambridge Audio gear although it does get some good press.

Royd Edens work very well in small room if a bit bigger Epos ES11 are cracking too but may be a bit bass heavy depending on room acoustics and kit.
I'd say even an old Creek 4040 will work very well still great and a bargain although as people have said some new kit could be better but they're so cheap you must try and find out for yourself you may get a shock just how enjoyable music can sound and with the cost being so small who's gonna start picking it to bits?

Rega Planet CD player cracking but old, my dad has an Arcam CD192 and it's cracking and serviceable still, I had a CD36 and it was amazing I've had it 10 years and only just bought a new (to me) player recently.

Good luck and enjoy the journey

PS nothing wrong with being happy with one brand if you like it and trust it as I do it's bombproof and resellable I've been listening to Naim stuff since about 1982 and my own since 1990, Creek 4040 then Nait 1 the 42, hi cap, 250! then.......... lol

haven´t read all posts, but most of them I think I hope

In my basement (20 m2) I have an Exposure X with Epos es 11, upstairs I run a pair of Harbeth M30 with an valve amp and an Auralic Mini. I also have a Creek 4040 as spares in the basement.
The Exposure is an good advice and in my ears significantly better than the Creek. The Exposure is also good to pair with most BBC type speakers. Some older Spendors could be a good (and cheaper) advice. I am not sure that my Epos ES 11 would be good in such a big room and honestly I like the sound of my Harbeth much much more than of the Epos. But these are also good, no doubt and some Epos of the M series could be good, or some Neat as well. The Exposure X was also significantly better than my Majik Pre/power combination, and of course much better than my Majik I, I had before. This was tested at my Linn Ninka speakers (which I liked only on active listening at a friends man´s cave, mine are sold may moons ago). Here I would go Majik I/LK 100/ with active Ninka, if you prefer this flavor. The Linn Classik is a high risk as many are not reliable anymore.
As a source I would recommend an s/h Auralic Mini. You can use ist as a streamer (Tidal or Spotify) with a NAS with all your CDs on the hard drive.

N.

OK, I have made some progress.

Took the CD52 SE that I already have for now and plugged it in to my Naim system at home to get a reference against my Naim CD2. It's not bad actually so decided to use it for now in the budgte system. Bought a Rega Brio amp and tried it with the CD52 and the Allaes, but sounded a bit gutless. Appreciate the Allaes are not the right speakers for it so tried a friend's Keilidhs... no better really. So have since bought a Nait 5i-2 and this sounds pretty damn good with the Keilidhs and the Allaes so sold the Brio on. I guess I'm a proper Naimee.

Now I need are some speakers and a good way of feeding the Nait with iTunes or Roon preferably via the USB from the Mac into some sort of DAC. Budget is £800 for both speakers and DAC... any recommendations? Do I need to increase the budget?

Still need simple floorstanders for speakers ... by that I mean one box, no gaskets or pips as they may need to be moved easily.

What do you lot reckon?

Seen a nice pair of Ninkas on eBay, but never heard them so flying a bit blind there.

advertisement

Back