advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

I wish the Grand Piano was affordable enough to buy two, so I can build one and put one away for prosperity.

I had tonnes of points and some vouchers due to expire so did a little time-travel back to my first truly memorable Lego set and bought the Lion Knights Castle.

I paid about £170 less than the RRP with the points and vouchers, plus got several freebies which look to be worth around £60! Not a bad haul all things considered.

Item:40605 - Lunar New Year VIP Add-On Pack
Item:40575 - Year of the Rabbit
Item:40583 - Houses of the World 1

lego_new_castle_2022_3_2_aspect.jpg

That castle looks good and ties up very well with a video that the YouTube algorithm randomly burped-up for me yesterday:

It looks at Lego more from a child’s play perspective and makes some excellent points about how the modern corporate tie-ins have likely slammed the door on a lot of imaginative building.

I’m even older as I don’t remember Lego ‘sets’ at all. I just had a big pile of bricks including the blue motor and red, yellow and blue coloured gears (which included a few pre-Technic parts, e.g. rods) and just built in a totally free way. I always went for form over colour, so very random coloured things that just worked in a child’s imagination. I’m now obviously looking at Lego from a investment perspective, so that is entirely different, but the change in company trajectory is obvious.

PS I really want the Galaxy Explorer tribute! I’ll look round for a good price on that. That’s a look back at a prime Lego era, even if it is after I’d grown up. I can imagine that would be way more fun to play with and rebuild in different ways than most modern sets which are really just assembly kits made from Lego.

I’ve not invested in any of the really expensive sets yet, I think £200 or thereabouts is my limit. I just like the idea of spreading the risk a little more. Some do seem to do well though. I’d love to see Lego’s sales figures to see where the curve starts to really drop with increasing price. The huge expensive sets will obviously be much rarer in the same way there will be far more Planar 3s than P10s, but the future market will be smaller too, especially if nostalgia-based. The architecture stuff does tend to do pretty well though. That said I think there is a very strong argument for buying what you really like. It is certainly a huge part in my buying strategy; I just don’t buy sets unless I feel they look right.

It's the same for me; I don't buy it unless I really, really like it! The next set that I am going to struggle to resist is the Motorised Lighthouse.

It's been a while since I built a remote-controlled Technic set. The last one was the 42030 Volvo L350F Wheel Loader in 2016. I have the 42114 6x6 Volvo Articulated Hauler in my collection of investment sets, and just ordered the last available 42129 4x4 Mercedes-Benz Zetros Trial Truck from a local retailer with a 30% discount.

42129-1.jpg

I'll decide to build or keep depending on the condition of the box.

Last edited:
For those who both build and think of investment potential: do you apply the stickers to stuff you think you’ll be selling on?

The only one I’ve built that had stickers was the Technic Volvo Loader, and I did use them. The Yellow Sub and Saturn V are all prints. I don’t view any of these as part of the ‘investment portfolio’ though (I’ve got another sealed Yellow Sub and Saturn V). I would actually sell the Volvo if anyone wanted it, though the other two are definitely staying.

I’ve just “un-built” the Technics Mercedes Arocs truck and the stickers are in a terrible state - dried, brittle and flaking off. So, I’ve decided to not apply stickers to future builds, including the Technic Land Rover that I am building right now.

For those who both build and think of investment potential: do you apply the stickers to stuff you think you’ll be selling on?

The only one I’ve built that had stickers was the Technic Volvo Loader, and I did use them. The Yellow Sub and Saturn V are all prints. I don’t view any of these as part of the ‘investment portfolio’ though (I’ve got another sealed Yellow Sub and Saturn V). I would actually sell the Volvo if anyone wanted it, though the other two are definitely staying.
I apply all stickers; mainly because I don't think I'd ever move them on. In any case, I haven't had too many problems with applied stickers deteriorating. Certainly on sets less than 10 years old. I keep my built sets in the dark.

Apparently, this Mercedes F1 W12/ AMG Project One set has been out since last year but that's me just finding out about it. I'll be getting one for sure next time it's on offer.

81F-37N0DHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ve not invested in any of the really expensive sets yet, I think £200 or thereabouts is my limit. I just like the idea of spreading the risk a little more. Some do seem to do well though. I’d love to see Lego’s sales figures to see where the curve starts to really drop with increasing price. The huge expensive sets will obviously be much rarer in the same way there will be far more Planar 3s than P10s, but the future market will be smaller too, especially if nostalgia-based. The architecture stuff does tend to do pretty well though. That said I think there is a very strong argument for buying what you really like. It is certainly a huge part in my buying strategy; I just don’t buy sets unless I feel they look right.
My upper limit for investment sets is around NZD500 or close to £250, which generally accommodates my favourite themes in Modular Buildings, discounted 1/8th scale Technic cars and some of the larger Ideas / Icons sets. I made an exception for the Titanic as I think it's a stunning replica and worth the full asking price.

advertisement

Back