advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

Looking at my collection on Brick Economy and my most expensive two are the computer geek ones, the Atari 2600 and Nintendo. I paid Lego.com retail for them too, but would have got some freebie or other with each (I always carefully time my buying for this) plus VIP points.

PS Just bought a Galaxy Explorer, I had a tenner of points, plus there’s a Year Of The Rabbit freebie, so £79 all-in. There’s also a free Bionical offer on at present if you spend over £95, but it seems really restrictive in that it only applies to certain sets. I’ve not seen them do that before, e.g. the Galaxy Explorer wasn’t eligible.

Looking at my collection on Brick Economy and my most expensive two are the computer geek ones, the Atari 2600 and Nintendo. I paid Lego.com retail for them too, but would have got some freebie or other with each (I always carefully time my buying for this) plus VIP points.

PS Just bought a Galaxy Explorer, I had a tenner of points, plus there’s a Year Of The Rabbit freebie, so £79 all-in. There’s also a free Bionical offer on at present if you spend over £95, but it seems really restrictive in that it only applies to certain sets. I’ve not seen them do that before, e.g. the Galaxy Explorer wasn’t eligible.

Are you going to build the Explorer?

Are you going to build the Explorer?

I’ve no intention too, I just really like it. It harks back to a less corporate tie-in and very cool era of Lego, plus it seems remarkably good value for what it is (especially with the tenner off and freebie), and even has alternative builds. As such I suspect it will be a pretty good speculative punt long-term, though not for a while as it was only released late last year. I knew I wanted it so makes sense to buy early given inflation rates in the UK at present. I predict price rises!

Here are the official alternative builds, which are really cool.

PS My nostalgia for Lego is free-building. The sets just weren’t a thing for me at all as a kid. I don’t remember ever having any at all, I just remember bricks. I don’t think mini-figs existed back then either (if they did I never had any). As such I find it fairly easy to leave them alone. The ones I built (Yellow Sub, Saturn V) I wanted as ornaments/display pieces, the Volvo loader was intended as a remote control cat toy, but the cat could not be less interested.

I'm just a few years younger I think, so minifigures weren't there at the start but within a few years. The original space/Castle sets map directly to my childhood pocket money memories so there is more temptation to build. I have the explorer (and Blacktron now), wish I had two to allow one to be built.

I'm just a few years younger I think, so minifigures weren't there at the start but within a few years. The original space/Castle sets map directly to my childhood pocket money memories so there is more temptation to build. I have the explorer (and Blacktron now), wish I had two to allow one to be built.

I did a little research and the first mini figures arrived in 1978, so well after I’d moved on from childhood Lego. The blue/grey Classic Space stuff started to arrive around that point too. Shame it wasn’t 5 years earlier as I’d have absolutely loved that stuff. I often built spaceships etc. I really like the minimal blue/grey colour palette too.

PS As a childhood ‘free builder’ I never had the right quantity of the right colours to match on both sides of whatever I was trying to build so always ended up as a Pollock/Mondrian abstraction to the point I ignored colour entirely and just thought in stud numbers etc. If I ever wanted to play with Lego again I’d be tempted to buy a load of Architecture sets and just build in white, though the blue/grey of classic space is maybe even better if you just view it as a base/accent colour. I could work well with that, plus I have strong nostalgia for both those Lego colours.

Quite enjoying Googling to see the custom kaido racers people have built : )

RxgRElZ.png

I did a little research and the first mini figures arrived in 1978, so well after I’d moved on from childhood Lego. The blue/grey Classic Space stuff started to arrive around that point too. Shame it wasn’t 5 years earlier as I’d have absolutely loved that stuff. I often built spaceships etc. I really like the minimal blue/grey colour palette too.

PS As a childhood ‘free builder’ I never had the right quantity of the right colours to match on both sides of whatever I was trying to build so always ended up as a Pollock/Mondrian abstraction to the point I ignored colour entirely and just thought in stud numbers etc. If I ever wanted to play with Lego again I’d be tempted to buy a load of Architecture sets and just build in white, though the blue/grey of classic space is maybe even better if you just view it as a base/accent colour. I could work well with that, plus I have strong nostalgia for both those Lego colours.
My fondest memory of early Lego was the train sets, replete with blue rails and white sleepers. I recall getting quite excited when they introduced magnetic couplings and spoked wheels. I hankered for a set of switching points to no avail, but I never got tired of building different wagons and watching them go round and round.

There were no minifigs then either.

I remember the train stuff, but I don’t think I ever had a full set. I certainly had the 800 motor and gears set. I used that a lot, though often had to go beg for batteries. I had some appropriate wheels with rubber tyres too. I do remember using a couple of straight blue rails for building other things so I must have had a couple of bits floating about.

My fondest memory of early Lego was the train sets, replete with blue rails and white sleepers. I recall getting quite excited when they introduced magnetic couplings and spoked wheels. I hankered for a set of switching points to no avail, but I never got tired of building different wagons and watching them go round and round.

There were no minifigs then either.

I still have quite a lot of the blue rails (done snapped) and the white sleepers (mostly yellowed) and I believe they were some of my first pieces as a child

I'm halfway through the build of the Technic 4 x 4 Mercedes Zetros Truck (set 42129) and found some bits of the assembly requiring quite a bit of digital dexterity. I wonder when Lego might introduce Duplo sets to appeal to Geriatric Fans of Lego. Now, there's a new future market, and you heard about it here first! :D

Cool Jazz Club-related Lego.com promo on the way late Feb. Annoying as I’d have held off a while on the Galaxy Explorer and maybe bought two to get that. I’m actually trying to hold off buying more Lego at present, the box mountain in my bedroom is just ridiculous, but I’d rather like that one! May even go to the scalpers for it, I’d pay £20-30 for it as I suspect it will better that in time.

I use to have almost all of the original Blacktron and Mtron space sets, as well as the entire Pirate collection back in the day. They were fun to build. I missed out on some of the real early, original space stuff, but remember it well. It is cool to see some of it coming back around.

advertisement

Back