advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

Others have beaten me to it about Accuphase being bright and brittle, did you try adjusting the tone controls to see if any better for you?
Between Luxman and Naim amps, I'd always expect the former to be more what you're looking for.
In my experience, I've always found Naim sources to be forward.
Good luck with your search.

I went from a Townshend Allegri+ with a Parasound A21, which was very clean and precise in my set up, to the E-480. Just as clear, but somehow more inviting. Before the Allegri+ I used a Type 26 DHT pre which was even more inviting. The E-480 is not too far behind, IMO. I only changed to make it easier for my wife to use, and I don't feel the sound has suffered too much. But I do have an awful hankering to try an E-800!

Hi, I have the Luxman L-590AXII, not the L-509X. And yes, I have the Naim 282/250DR.

Hello @ryder Thanks, have always appreciated your pertinent comments. For the L590 compared with the 282+250, did you find that the Luxman being less dynamic than the Naim was a disappointment or is the difference rather subtle? Would you consider the L590 to be suitable for multi-genre music styles or is it really lacking, for example, in electronic music playback?

As you can tell, I haven't arranged a home demo yet as I'm trying to establish a shortlist of potential amplifiers.
Thanks for your comments. Brgds.

FWIW, I went from L-590AXII to L-509X and I found it just as smooth but with more headroom and therefore better dynamics. It's certainly one to try. It's also much sexier.

Worth noting that Luxman are launching the L-509Z next year, so there could be some deals to be had if you're not in a rush.

I've only owned the Luxman 505 ux ii of the manufacturers you mention. The Luxman is built like a tank and weighs a freakin ton! Sounds good too. The 509 is the top of their tree for class AB. I've heard the 590 class A and it blew my socks off. If I'd had the cash at the time, I'd have bought it.

FWIW, I went from L-590AXII to L-509X and I found it just as smooth but with more headroom and therefore better dynamics. It's certainly one to try. It's also much sexier.

Worth noting that Luxman are launching the L-509Z next year, so there could be some deals to be had if you're not in a rush.

Yes, the importer here also mentioned the forthcoming 509z but not sure when it would be available in 2023.

FWIW, I went from L-590AXII to L-509X and I found it just as smooth but with more headroom and therefore better dynamics. It's certainly one to try. It's also much sexier
In what way is it 'much sexier'? Looks pretty similar to me, other than the top vent arrangement and different coloured meters....

For the L590 compared with the 282+250, did you find that the Luxman being less dynamic than the Naim was a disappointment or is the difference rather subtle? Would you consider the L590 to be suitable for multi-genre music styles or is it really lacking, for example, in electronic music playback?

It all depends on the speakers. With Harbeth SHL5+ the Luxman did sound less dynamic than the Naim. Music sounded warmer and less exciting to me. Perhaps the Harbeth is too demanding for the Luxman.

With Marten Duke 2, the tables are turned. All the speed, slam and dynamics are reproduced with aplomb by the Luxman. In comparison, music sounded smeared with loss of fine detail with the Naim. I suspect high sensitivity speakers will sound even better driven by the Luxman.

The L-590AXII isn't lacking with rock music as the speed and slam in the bass are all there. However, the bass of the Luxman may sound a little lean in comparison to other amps where the bass may sound fuller with more presence and impact. The bass quality of the L-590AXII is more towards lean, defined and detailed.

It all depends on the speakers. With Harbeth SHL5+ the Luxman did sound less dynamic than the Naim. Music sounded warmer and less exciting to me. Perhaps the Harbeth is too demanding for the Luxman.

With Marten Duke 2, the tables are turned. All the speed, slam and dynamics are reproduced with aplomb by the Luxman. In comparison, music sounded smeared with loss of fine detail with the Naim. I suspect high sensitivity speakers will sound even better driven by the Luxman.

The L-590AXII isn't lacking with rock music as the speed and slam in the bass are all there. However, the bass of the Luxman may sound a little lean in comparison to other amps where the bass may sound fuller with more presence and impact. The bass quality of the L-590AXII is more towards lean, defined and detailed.
Oddly enough I disagree. I always thought there was oodles of bass - almost too much of a good thing occasionally....

Either way, amp/speaker matching is pretty vital to get the best out of each. Active speakers have a handy advantage there.

True indeed, although active speaker manufacturers seem to get it right more often than audiophiles.

I wouldn't agree. I have never heard an active speaker that I like to keep for a longer time. To me most solid state amps sound shitty and also most popular hifi brand speakers I have listen to.

I'd be curious to see the effort which was put into my 42kg! Pass Int-60 into an active speaker, especially if it is like my tiny Graham Chartwell LS3/5A.

I used to think the same but my active monitors were a bit of a revelation. My other amp is valves so I'm permanently happy. Anyway, perhaps a different thread.

Reactions: JTC
As someone who had Luxman/Harbeth, though it almost embarrasses me to admit this, the (significantly cheaper) Genelec active speakers basically outperform that system across the board. If that means my PFM badge and gun must be surrendered, mote it be.

Oddly enough I disagree. I always thought there was oodles of bass - almost too much of a good thing occasionally....

That's useful. If your experience with the L-590AXII is based on the Tannoy Arden, that shows the Luxman works better with higher sensitivity speakers. The Ardens are 93dB so that might have worked in favour of the Luxman apart from the character of the speaker or the room/speaker interface since the Ardens are fairly large and heavy floorstanders.

advertisement

Back