advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

Hi Tom,
What are your speakers, please ?
I have the Triangle Magellan Quatuor at home, and they match fine with the little 30w of class A …
As Alfy says, less boxes but more music.

Focal Sopra 1 standmounts. Incredibly difficult speaker to setup, optimize and power but when it's right it is indeed quite good. You see many of these for sale and it's due to one reason: improper amplification. I have found that the Class A amplification is extremely well adapted to the beryllium tweeters. Zero listening fatigue with the Luxman. What a relief!

Focal Sopra 1 standmounts. Incredibly difficult speaker to setup, optimize and power but when it's right it is indeed quite good. You see many of these for sale and it's due to one reason: improper amplification. I have found that the Class A amplification is extremely well adapted to the beryllium tweeters. Zero listening fatigue with the Luxman. What a relief!
A few years ago, my Naim system has run a pair of Focal 1028 be with the beryllium tweeter. They sounded very nice together. So if you say the Luxman matches very well with the Sopra 1, I can imagine the same with the 1028 be.

Good. A reason I bought my recent Denon is it says “Made in Japan” on the back. I’m not even a Deep Purple fan.

Haha. It was a pathetic joke. I like a lot of Deep Purple but only in small doses. Lazy might even get into my top 20.

A few years ago, my Naim system has run a pair of Focal 1028 be with the beryllium tweeter. They sounded very nice together. So if you say the Luxman matches very well with the Sopra 1, I can imagine the same with the 1028 be.

Hi Eustache53,
Just FYI, I added the Luxman RCA interconnect JPR-10000 to my system and it's really very good with excellent smooth synergy with the 590AXII. It retails for the silly price of 580€ in Europe and can commonly be found for 490€. HOWEVER, I went to the effort of looking for one in Japan (by internet) and found a slightly used one at HiFiDo for 128€...Excellent experience buying from them and very quick EMS shipping. The cable is beautifully made, very robust and confidence-inspiring. More importantly, after a week of settle-in and throwing a million test tracks at it, I feel Luxman hit a home run with this cable. Anyway, just FYI!

I could be tempted to use Luxman cables with my Luxman stack if not for the blue colour. Speaker cables very visible here so that's a no-no.

id love to try a 505 and very nearly swapped my supernait 3 for on on here.. until i got my tape measure out a realised the size of it, it woudl over hang my isoblue rack and id have to ditch my rega for it to sit on top...

id love to try a 505 and very nearly swapped my supernait 3 for on on here.. until i got my tape measure out a realised the size of it, it woudl over hang my isoblue rack and id have to ditch my rega for it to sit on top...

Well, I can tell you that the change from Naim to Luxman has been more than satisfactory and I cannot identify one thing I miss from the Naim sound signature, not one...

I'm not sure about the Supernait 3 but I own both 282/250DR/HCDR and Luxman L-590AXII. Since the Luxman came into the picture about 2 years ago, the Naim amps have not seen much use for the past 1 year. I plan to swap the amps sometime in March when I have the time to see if the Naim will match well with my newly acquired Graham LS5/9. The Luxman sounds better than the Naim on Marten Duke 2 after several extended comparisons.

In brief summary, the Naim at 282/250DR level sounds bold and dynamic but lacks the subtlety, nuance and fine detail. Perhaps the 252 and 552 won't show this.
On the other hand, the Luxman. I can't really find any fault with the amp. It just seems to have everything - refined, delicate, nuanced, sophisticated and dynamic. I just listen to the music and most importantly enjoy and don't analyse or find fault with any aspect of the sound reproduction.

It may depend on the speakers too as the Luxman Class A integrateds although very capable may not be able to drive low efficiency speakers. Perhaps the Class AB equivalent 505 or 509 will do better but may lack a bit of the Class A touch. When there is a high current or power requirement to drive difficult speakers, separates will hold the advantage. With Naim the NAP 300DR or 500 DR etc.

Just FYI, I added the Luxman RCA interconnect JPR-10000 to my system and it's really very good with excellent smooth synergy with the 590AXII.

Does anyone have experience with Luxman JPS-15000 speaker cables especially with 590AXII? I have Chord Signature XL but was told that Luxman's own speaker cable will match very well with Luxman amps and likely produce a stellar result. It is a lot of money though. I plan to keep the Chord and don't wish to trade it in for the Luxman cable.

I already have a rather costly (and good) Acrolink interconnect and don't wish to switch it to something else although the Luxman JPS-10000 may be excellent.

Hi Eustache53,
Just FYI, I added the Luxman RCA interconnect JPR-10000 to my system and it's really very good with excellent smooth synergy with the 590AXII. It retails for the silly price of 580€ in Europe and can commonly be found for 490€. HOWEVER, I went to the effort of looking for one in Japan (by internet) and found a slightly used one at HiFiDo for 128€...Excellent experience buying from them and very quick EMS shipping. The cable is beautifully made, very robust and confidence-inspiring. More importantly, after a week of settle-in and throwing a million test tracks at it, I feel Luxman hit a home run with this cable. Anyway, just FYI!
Hi Tom,
Have you compared rca connections versus xlr connections ? At home, I prefer the xlr one.

Hi Tom,
Have you compared rca connections versus xlr connections ? At home, I prefer the xlr one.

No I cannot for the moment since my source is Naim (believe it or not...) so output is either DIN or straight RCA. There is a possibility to buy an RCA to XLR cable but I think that kind of defeats the purpose of balanced connections and the cable would be something of a FrankenCable anyway. So for the time being, I'm enjoying what I have. It's my New Year's resolution for 2023.

Does anyone have experience with Luxman JPS-15000 speaker cables especially with 590AXII? I have Chord Signature XL but was told that Luxman's own speaker cable will match very well with Luxman amps and likely produce a stellar result. It is a lot of money though. I plan to keep the Chord and don't wish to trade it in for the Luxman cable.

I already have a rather costly (and good) Acrolink interconnect and don't wish to switch it to something else although the Luxman JPS-10000 may be excellent.
Hi ryder,
Sorry, I have no experience with Luxman high end cables. Something I was wondering about the difference bitween the 590 II and the 595 se. The 595 is delivered with a 15000 wire as standart which can improves the sound compared to the 590. So to compare those two it is necessary to use the same cable.
I am using Qued Supremus as speaker cables.
As you, my Naim amplifier is not working so often. I have sold the nac 282, and I have a 32.5 now as preamplifier (with an hicap 2 and a nap 250.2).

No I cannot for the moment since my source is Naim (believe it or not...) so output is either DIN or straight RCA. There is a possibility to buy an RCA to XLR cable but I think that kind of defeats the purpose of balanced connections and the cable would be something of a FrankenCable anyway. So for the time being, I'm enjoying what I have. It's my New Year's resolution for 2023.
It is a pity that Naim does not have xlr outputs. That’s why I prefer the Roksan caspian 2 compared to the Naim cd5xs (I have both at home). And I have good rca cables (Furutech Evolution). The Luxman xlr imputs are very good.

advertisement

Back