advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

I'm in the enviable position of currently running a Classe Model 30 / Luxman M-383 pre power combo AND having inherited my late father's Accuphase E-450 Integrated. Currently the Accuphase is living in it's box because it's physically too big for my current rack, but I will be making changes next year to accomodate it. Then I'm gonna have me my own little test :)

Hello all,
Was wondering if anyone knows or could suggest which would be the "brighter" of the two as a basic tenent:

1. Naim 282+250 or
2. Luxman 509x

I have tried the Accuphase E-480 and it was ungodly bright and brittle.
Thanks for comments/feedback.
Brgds.

Somethings up if you find the E-480 bright and brittle.

Try Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista.

Yes, what's up is Focal Sopra. That explains everything. I have already MF on other systems and these days I don't really have confidence in their products. Looking rather for that 20 year minimum amplifier...Thanks.

Hello all,
Was wondering if anyone knows or could suggest which would be the "brighter" of the two as a basic tenent:

1. Naim 282+250 or
2. Luxman 509x

Brgds.
Accuphase is not bright and brittle, so something is wrong elsewhere that the amp is telling you about. Find that and sort it before you try to find an amp whose failings mask the problem.

Edit, could be the Sopras, as you say. I can’t get as enthusiastic about current Focal as I used to about the last generation. There are still things it gets very right, but others it has moved in the wrong direction, IMO. If you like the good things, I’d maybe look at Fyne Audio, or the Egglestonworks stuff in budget.

Accuphase is not bright and brittle, so something is wrong elsewhere that the amp is telling you about. Find that and sort it before you try to find an amp whose failings mask the problem.

Maybe. But it lasted just a few days in my system before my ears began hemorrhaging massive mounts of hemoglobin. The real problem may be the Sopras but I have heard them sound good before...

Maybe. But it lasted just a few days in my system before my ears began hemorrhaging massive mounts of hemoglobin. The real problem may be the Sopras but I have heard them sound good before...
Then I’d look upstream, to your source. If both amp and speakers are sounding brittle, they’re probably just reproducing the brittle they’re being fed. Beware of shooting the messenger.

What did the Sopras sound good with?

Surprisingly and against all odds and logic, they sounded good with Naim. The problem is that Naim is incapable of correctly conceiving and assembling a high-fidelity amplifier and I wanted to upgrade to something better than a toy. Still searching.

Then I’d look upstream, to your source. If both amp and speakers are sounding brittle, they’re probably just reproducing the brittle they’re being fed. Beware of shooting the messenger.

Source was, and still is Naim ND5XS2 acting as a streamer into Naim nDAC (PCM1704K) powered by XPS. Frankly, that's atleast as good as a bare NDX2 if not better. Can't imagine the source is the culprit, but hey, you never know...

Source was, and still is Naim ND5XS2 acting as a streamer into Naim nDAC (PCM1704K) powered by XPS. Frankly, that's atleast as good as a bare NDX2 if not better. Can't imagine the source is the culprit, but hey, you never know...
Not a fan of Naim (and, judging by your other thread, neither are you). I’d look there if it were me. The one place I would NOT look for the source of a hard and brittle sound would be the Accuphase component.

Assuming it was brand new, did you give the Accuphase adequate burn-in time or did you form your impression of it straight out of the box? My Yamaha took a couple of hundred hours to smooth out.

1. Naim 282+250 or
2. Luxman 509x

Hi, I have the Luxman L-590AXII, not the L-509X. And yes, I have the Naim 282/250DR.

Between the two, I would say the Naim sounds a little brighter. It exposes a glare in the treble with revealing speakers. Apart from sounding slightly bright, the Naim also sounds more forward. The flow in music and refinement with the Luxman are better as it sounds more detailed and is capable of reproducing the nuance and fine detail in the music a bit better than the Naim.

I'm surprised the Accuphase E-480 sounds bright as it was described as warm on every forum and Youtube videos I've watched.

advertisement

Back