advertisement

Cyclists to be awarded equality with motorists.

I would go further, all bikes must have third party insurance and parents have to cover children. Bikes should have a number plate so that thus can be checked. All bikes must have an equivalent to a MOT. Adult Cyclists should have a licence and pass the equivalent to the highway code. It costs a lot if money to provide cycle lanes but after consideration a road tax is perhaps unfair as we don’t charge electric cars.

I would go further, all bikes must have third party insurance and parents have to cover children. Bikes should have a number plate so that thus can be checked. All bikes must have an equivalent to a MOT. Adult Cyclists should have a licence and pass the equivalent to the highway code. It costs a lot if money to provide cycle lanes but after consideration a road tax is perhaps unfair as we don’t charge electric cars.
That is the single most Ill informed & idiotic statement thus far, well done I now have the bonus ball.

All cars don’t even need an MOT! Cycle lanes are cost effective as they encourage active travel & are good for the environment. Number plates don’t even work for cars! Approximately 1.5 million uninsured drivers on the road, they generally have number plates.

On reflection you are probably just trolling as surely no one can be that dense?

Far better that we all get a forehead tattoo so we can all be identified. Maybe a bar code?

Just keep the bell on your bike that the law requires them to be sold with when new from the shop, then of course once back home everyone just removes them, I know I did :D

I'm always cautious going past a pedestrian, be it adult or child, or even dogs and cats as you never know what they will do. Unless you get eye contact ( same with cyclists and motorbike riders) you can never know that they know you're there.

Expect the unexpected and trust no one

This goes for no matter what I'm driving or riding ;)

The last death caused by a cyclist was in 2016, not 20:16 last night.

A bike lane is only expensive when it is an after thought, look up the cost per mile of motorway of example.

A fairer way to tax cars would be by weight per wheel as this is cause of most wear and tear on the road. As a cyclist I'm around 40Kg per wheel, my car is more like 375Kg per wheel...

‘Relatively’? Are you for real? As upthread have a look at some of the things drivers get away with for taking a life.

Motorists spent several pages crying over some Highway Code ‘changes’ that weren’t really changes. It’s just a classic case of Tories appealing to their pathetic base of morons.
Apparently you don't understand "relatively". And your post is simply deflection from the point that death by dangerous behaviour should be treated equally, no matter by whom or by how many. And as for highway code whingeing, how many cyclists even know what it is?

Have you rode a bike on the public roads recently?,
Not very recently, as I live at the top of a steep hill on the outskirts of Plymouth. But I have driven in London recently and I was shocked at the suicidal behaviour of many cyclists. Traffic lights?? Pedestrian crossings? Traffic islands? Other road users? Pavements? Nah, nothing to do with me mate.

Apparently you don't understand "relatively". And your post is simply deflection from the point that death by dangerous behaviour should be treated equally, no matter by whom or by how many. And as for highway code whingeing, how many cyclists even know what it is?

When was the last death caused by poor/dangerous driving? The last bicycle caused one was 2016... in That London you complained about..

For clarity I have bicycles, car and Campervan in my life and see the value/use in all of them. I have been knocked off my bike, not much fun, but never had or caused a motor vehicle injury. The standards we hold drivers too MUST be higher as the opportunity to cause death or serious injury is much higher.

Interestingly the maximum speed limit in urban areas across Wales has just been dropped to 20mph for environmental grounds, but I suspect it will also lower the number of deaths and serious accidents as well. It appears to be being followed and enforced for any PFMers who live, work or visit there.

Interestingly the maximum speed limit in urban areas across Wales has just been dropped to 20mph for environmental grounds, but I suspect it will also lower the number of deaths and serious accidents as well. It appears to be being followed and enforced for any PFMers who live, work or visit there.
And how many cyclists will stick to that? Or even be able to measure it? I have been overtaken by a very angry cyclist in a 30 where he was doing about 40! On a driving lesson as well!
Are you saying cyclists should not be held responsible for dangerous behaviour? That's what all these complaints sound like; why should we be punished for our dangerous or illegal actions? Don't do it and you have no problem.

Two or three times a week when cycling in town someone will step on to the road in front of me without looking. They don't all have phones in their hands (many do however).

I think that they assume that they will always hear a motorised vehicle, if they hear nothing they assume it is safe to cross the road usually with their back to the traffic taking a diagonal line (the shortest route in their heads).
Yes, this is true. And car drivers don't see motorcycles and pull out of junctions in their face too. That's why it's not about training, or regulation. It's about personal responsibility, awareness of potential hazard and being considerate.
As someone said upthread, assholes drive vehicles of all types...be aware.

Clearly woodface your opinion is the only valid one. I assume you are one of the aggressive lycra wearing cyclists from your response? We get a lot around here. I do ride a bike from time and I would be happy to have some form of regulation where there is currently very little.

That is the single most Ill informed & idiotic statement thus far, well done I now have the bonus ball.

All cars don’t even need an MOT! Cycle lanes are cost effective as they encourage active travel & are good for the environment. Number plates don’t even work for cars! Approximately 1.5 million uninsured drivers on the road, they generally have number plates.

On reflection you are probably just trolling as surely no one can be that dense?

I'm not sure? Did you think your post through. Society contains law breakers! wow, who knew. So? Throw all laws in the bin then?

And how many cyclists will stick to that? Or even be able to measure it? I have been overtaken by a very angry cyclist in a 30 where he was doing about 40! On a driving lesson as well!
Are you saying cyclists should not be held responsible for dangerous behaviour? That's what all these complaints sound like; why should we be punished for our dangerous or illegal actions? Don't do it and you have no problem.

Ask the how many cyclists can sustain or exceed 20mph average on a level road for a mile? Not many I would suspect. I probably can, but I ride regularly and wear appropriate kit..

Why was he angry? I would not be surprised to find a badly or dangerously driven car in the mix somewhere.

What is the problem with sharing?

Would anyone condone racing closely past a horse rider? So what is the difference between someone in jodhpurs and someone in cycling kit?

As to being held responsible, of course everyone should be held responsible for their actions.

PS I'm sat here in my kit about to go out for a ride

There should be mandatory licences to ride a bike on a public road and it should also have a points system in place. Ok so it may be hard pushed to ‘ban’ offenders from cycling after hitting a high level of points but you can sure as hell fine them and put them on cycling proficiency courses.

Yes. License plates should be mandatory.
Yesterday I was walking on pavement and waving white cloth as a safety precaution.

A young man with backwards facing baseball cap rode his bike furiously at me before swerving to avoid a hit.

This kind of moron will not be likely to toe the line whatever the law requires.

Clearly woodface your opinion is the only valid one. I assume you are one of the aggressive lycra wearing cyclists from your response? We get a lot around here. I do ride a bike from time and I would be happy to have some form of regulation where there is currently very little.
HOUSE !

A shit government delivering shit policies to pander to the shit prejudices belonging to the shits of society in a desperate bid to distract from the fact they have no idea how to solve any actual ****ing problems facing us.

Think that sums it up, my rant could apply to every single political thread on this forum

Well "zBully for you".

advertisement

Back