advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My youngest has a streaming nose and almost constant sneezing but the LFTs are showing negative - I'm pretty sure she has it too. About to order some PCRs

Take care. The experience of my vaccinated friends has been much better than those who didn’t have a vaccine. Look after yourself.

Hope the vaccine means you're both ok and in the clear soon. My next door neighbour one side (late 60s) has just recovered and the other neighbours daughter (15) is isolating. My god-daughter (without the faith bit) is recovering. As a pensioner this is the highest number of people that I know that have had it at the same time.

Perhaps I should update on the in-laws who tested positive a couple of weeks ago while Mrs hc25036 was acting as carer. Both over Covid, mum-in-law very mild, but f-in-law quite unwell and developed generalised weakness that left him overwhelmed by his other issues and ended up with sepsis and a very bad night with family called to his bedside.

Superb care and some last-ditch antibiotics saved him, but it’ll be a long road back from his pre-existing problems that are now worsened.

Despite living with and caring for both, Mrs hc25036 didn’t catch Covid! Score one for the AZ vaccine.**

** edit - plus being a retired research microbiologist who uses aseptic techniques without thinking and who hand washes meticulously

Perhaps I should update on the in-laws who tested positive a couple of weeks ago while Mrs hc25036 was acting as carer. Both over Covid, mum-in-law very mild, but f-in-law quite unwell and developed generalised weakness that left him overwhelmed by his other issues and ended up with sepsis and a very night with family called to his bedside.

Superb care and some last-ditch antibiotics saved him, but it’ll be a long road back from his pre-existing problems that are now worsened.

Despite living with and caring for both, Mrs hc25036 didn’t catch Covid! Score one for the AZ vaccine.

It seems to be co-morbidities in the elderly that are the serious issue now. That's very good news abour Mrs hc though :)

The trouble is finding antibiotics that work. The care must've been very good, sepsis is horrible.

Spot on - the critical part of the care was that a chronic, silent uti was diagnosed very early on and a sample sent for antibiotic susceptibility testing. When sepsis set in, that result was available and the correct (and only one was available) antibiotic was given immediately.

It was still touch and go, but essentially a junior doctor in a community hospital did his job perfectly, the system worked and the result was available in the acute hospital.

Success can be dependent on lag times for samples too. If the hospital doesn't have an on-site lab, samples have to be sent elsewhere for testing which bug has caused the infection and which antibiotics work against that strain. Delays can be a day or two and during that time I understand that "broad spectrum" antibiotics are given which may or may not work and successive different antibiotics can end up being used, some of which (eg gentamicin?) should only be used for the shortest time possible as they can have unpleasant side effects.

Luck's finally run out my wife's tested positive this morning

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully a mild case if the vaccine does it’s job.

I’m just about to leave to get my booster dose at work. They are initially just doing those who had their second dose in January.

My elderly parents showing all signs of COVID, but tests not back yet after 10 days. Wales NHS is overwhelmed. One way to keep numbers down, don't test.

My elderly parents showing all signs of COVID, but tests not back yet after 10 days. Wales NHS is overwhelmed. One way to keep numbers down, don't test.
The test centre in Swansea was fabulous.
Both me and 14 year old daughter all displayed signs of COVID.
Phoned for a test for both of us yesterday around 9:30am, they booked us in for 11:30am same day.
Results back at 10am this morning, both negative thankfully - Very impressive indeed, bless em:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back