advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weekly surveillance report here.

Surveillance indicators suggest that at a national level COVID-19 activity remained stable or decreased in most indicators in week 37 of 2021.

Case rates decreased in all regions and in most ethnic groups and age groups, except those aged 5 to 19. Overall Pillar 1 and Pillar 2 positivity remained stable compared to the previous week.

The overall number of reported acute respiratory incidents in the past week decreased compared to the previous week, however there were increases in the number in educational settings. SARS-CoV-2 was identified in the majority of these.

COVID-19 hospitalisations decreased slightly in week 37. Deaths with COVID-19 remained stable in the most recent week.

Excellent news.

Excellent news.

old data unfortunately. Cases in 5-16s are growing rapidly but falling in older teens and over 20s

36 710 cases today, 182 deaths and ... (admissions are not being updated - "because of a major incident with the data collection system used by NHS England to collect daily data, there is no update to hospital data in England. Data will be updated in the next release.")

Why are the uk case and death figures so high in uk versus France and Germany, please?

I think the truth is no one knows. Different measures seem to have different effects in different countries, it is a complicated pandemic.

Let's get clear on some of the facts. What's happening in France as far as restrictions are concerned? I think you can't go to a bar or to a football match or catch a long distance train without being fully vaccinated. I expect that will account for some of the difference, but not all given that so many people here are vaccinated. Are people still encouraged to work from home? Are any schools working remotely?

The % positive test results in the UK is more than twice what it is in France, as far as I can see -- 3.5% v 1.4%.

I think the truth is no one knows. Different measures seem to have different effects in different countries, it is a complicated pandemic.

Let's get clear on some of the facts. What's happening in France as far as restrictions are concerned? I think you can't go to a bar or to a restaurant or catch a long distance train without being fully vaccinated. I expect that will account for some of the difference, but not all given that so many people here are vaccinated. Are people still encouraged to work from home? Are any schools working remotely?

The % positive test results in the UK is more than twice what it is in France, as far as I can see -- 3.5% v 1.4%.)
I'm in a bar in Strasbourg now. Not even had my anticovid app scanned to verify my quarantine status. You can go in with pcr but to be honest most people have been faking pcr certificates that I know.

I'm in a bar in Strasbourg now. Not even had my anticovid app scanned to verify my quarantine status. You can go in with pcr but to be honest most people have been faking pcr certificates that I know.

This post of mine from a week ago is also relevant to this interesting question. It suggests to me that the French are doing something to stop the unvaccinated catching it (hence less hospitalisations, but when they go in it's more serious.)

Just to look at France in a bit more detail

In France the deaths are at 92 a day, and the new hospitalisations are at 455 a day - both figures the latest 7 day averages. That means 20% of the people going into hospital die.

In the Uk deaths are at 141 a day, and new hospitalisations are at 1004 a day - again weekly average. That means 14% of the people going into hospital die.

The French have vaccinated about 70% of the whole population. I can’t remember how many we have vaccinated but it’s about the same I think. Of course we have vaccinated more over 16s and that’s presumably part of the reason why we have a better recovery rate.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/m...et-dans-le-monde-en-cartes-et-graphiques.html

The interesting question for me is how they’re keeping down the number of people going into hospital, and I haven’t got a clear answer. The movement of people who aren’t vaccinated is seriously limited. I don’t know what’s happening vis-à-vis home working compared with the UK. Schools have only been open a couple of weeks. I think we have similar rules regarding self isolation. England at least seems more densely populated than France. It could be that French people are more healthy to start with.

This post of mine from a week ago is also relevant to this interesting question. It suggests to me that the French are doing something to stop the unvaccinated catching it (hence less hospitalisations, but when they go in it's more serious.)
When in doubt blame data collection differences I suppose.

We have been participating in the ONS survey where you give some blood to be analysed along with the usual swabs for Covid.

We have been doing the swabs for well over a year now and thankfully none have ever come back to say we have the virus. I think we started with the bloods in April and after each occasion we received letters from ONS saying we had antibodies which we took as being from our vaccinations as we are quite sure we haven’t had Covid.

Yesterday, ONS have told me that there were no antibodies in my last blood sample - yikes - I presume the immunity from my vaccinations has waned.

12th April but I was on chemo at the time which I presume meant my immune system was under too much stress to respond to the vaccine.

We have been participating in the ONS survey where you give some blood to be analysed along with the usual swabs for Covid.

We have been doing the swabs for well over a year now and thankfully none have ever come back to say we have the virus. I think we started with the bloods in April and after each occasion we received letters from ONS saying we had antibodies which we took as being from our vaccinations as we are quite sure we haven’t had Covid.

Yesterday, ONS have told me that there were no antibodies in my last blood sample - yikes - I presume the immunity from my vaccinations has waned.

Don't forget that you should (hopefully) have B memory cells that can produce antibodies faster than you would produce them on the first infection so you will still have some protection. Could have been affected by your chemo though, so might be worth asking the question if you have a follow up consultation.

Don't forget that you should (hopefully) have B memory cells that can produce antibodies faster than you would produce them on the first infection so you will still have some protection. Could have been affected by your chemo though, so might be worth asking the question if you have a follow up consultation.
Thank you for the advice. I intend to contact my Doctors Surgery today about the booster.

Shapps has claimed this morning that covid is the main reason for the lorry driver shortage. I think Brexit is lifting the lid on the low-wage economy and that many more problems are waiting, healthcare, childcare, social care etc etc...

ac66eb6d-4416-47aa-b604-c733c71b428b.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58674934?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=614d8256455e0f06d48a1473&Coronavirus low on the list of hauliers' reasons for driver shortage&2021-09-24T07:56:41.258Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:6b0fc6d1-b36c-42c2-aa50-48f6956f4392&pinned_post_asset_id=614d8256455e0f06d48a1473&pinned_post_type=share

Shapps is a lying prick and always has been. I just can't see how anyone with half a brain believes anything he or any of them come out with. Brexit is a nailed on disaster and we are only just seeing the start of the impact. Throw woeful handling of the pandemic into the mix and it's going to be a massively rocky road ahead.

Thank you for the advice. I intend to contact my Doctors Surgery today about the booster.

You may well qualify for the 3rd vaccine and not the booster. The difference being that you can have a 3rd vaccine just 8 weeks after your 2nd with a follow-up booster 6 months later. Whereas there is a 6 month time gap between the 2nd vaccine and the booster...around mid-october in your case.

I'm currently waiting for my health board to let me know which one I'll be getting. If I don't qualify for the 3rd vaccine with my health conditions then I'll want to know exactly why, which will probably mean contacting my consultant who looks at my medical records and makes the decision, apparently.

You may well qualify for the 3rd vaccine and not the booster. The difference being that you can have a 3rd vaccine just 8 weeks after your 2nd with a follow-up booster 6 months later. Whereas there is a 6 month time gap between the 2nd vaccine and the booster...around mid-october in your case.

I'm currently waiting for my health board to let me know which one I'll be getting. If I don't qualify for the 3rd vaccine with my health conditions then I'll want to know exactly why, which will probably mean contacting my consultant who looks at my medical records and makes the decision, apparently.

Thanks for the heads up on this - you are right in that it seems I should qualify for a third dose and have the booster sometime in the future. Apparently there are 500k people in this category and we shall be contacted soonish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back