advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents depend on Withybush, Swansea is urban.
Yes, understood.
Basically a thumbs up for some smashing people doing a superb job as we experienced ourselves.
My wife works in health care at Morriston Hosp and knows only too well about being close to being overwhelmed sadly:(

Amnesty International has accused six pharmaceutical companies that have developed Covid vaccines of fuelling a global human rights crisis, citing their refusal to sufficiently waive intellectual property rights, share vaccine technology and boost global vaccine supply.

After assessing the performance of six Covid vaccine developers – Pfizer and BioNTech, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, AstraZeneca and Novavax – Amnesty International claims that all are failing to uphold their own human rights commitments and warns they should not be putting profit before the lives of people in the world’s poorest countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...ts-crisis-over-covid-vaccine-inequity-amnesty

Whitty expects 'almost all' children to become infected

"England’s Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty has told MPs this afternoon that the Covid transmission rate is currently highest among children compared to all age groups.

He also said almost all 12- to 15-year-olds would get infected at some point. He said:

There is definitely substantial transmission happening in this age group.

In fact, the age group we’re talking about is the one in which the highest rate of transmission is currently occurring, as far as we can tell."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...084a3056b45455#block-614b3f7d8f084a3056b45455

Just travelled to Dudley from Durham where I was working today…. Went for drink with a colleague in the city last night and all pubs were rammed with thresher week students - no social distancing nor a mask in sight… I asked a handful if anyone had come to Uni post ‘one vaccination’ and the general consensus was nope…. Soon got out of there but naturally concerned

Whitty expects 'almost all' children to become infected

"England’s Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty has told MPs this afternoon that the Covid transmission rate is currently highest among children compared to all age groups.

He also said almost all 12- to 15-year-olds would get infected at some point. He said:

There is definitely substantial transmission happening in this age group.

In fact, the age group we’re talking about is the one in which the highest rate of transmission is currently occurring, as far as we can tell."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...084a3056b45455#block-614b3f7d8f084a3056b45455

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...weigh-up-the-evidence-for-themselves-12414596

We've not even had a permission form yet. The School reintroduced mask wearing after 40 odd cases since Monday - should have been done over the summer if vaccine stocks were available...
It’s yet another government mess that will go unaccounted for as usual. My partner has had consent forms from the school but the school have no idea when vaccinations will start and are talking about it being November at the earliest. Then she reads a statement from the local vaccination drop in centre that they are operating way below capacity so calls them to be told that as far as they know the vaccine can’t be given to anyone under 16. She asks if these people follow the news but is met with a polite stonewalling. So she rings other centres and even her doctor who all say the same thing or state that they don’t vaccinate children as they have don’t have ‘permission’. Her father, the kids’ grandfather is severely immuno-suppressed so the kids want to get vaccinated so they feel safer seeing him. So here we have a situation where there are people wanting a vaccine and the centres have capacity to vaccinate but government red tape is in the way! It’s pathetic!!

It’s no real surprise that this racist government should enact a racist border policy. I’d like to know how demands for tough borders could have resulted in anything else.

terrible news Wav, I really hope it all works out OK for yourself and family.
Thats' going to be a tough few weeks - wish you all the best.

Thanks! Luck's still in so far. I'm hoping that it's a false positive but they're supposed to be quite rare. Otoh kids have learned how to get around them to induce a positive and it's all over tic toc - acid from orange juice.

Weekly surveillance report here.

Surveillance indicators suggest that at a national level COVID-19 activity remained stable or decreased in most indicators in week 37 of 2021.

Case rates decreased in all regions and in most ethnic groups and age groups, except those aged 5 to 19. Overall Pillar 1 and Pillar 2 positivity remained stable compared to the previous week.

The overall number of reported acute respiratory incidents in the past week decreased compared to the previous week, however there were increases in the number in educational settings. SARS-CoV-2 was identified in the majority of these.

COVID-19 hospitalisations decreased slightly in week 37. Deaths with COVID-19 remained stable in the most recent week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back