advertisement

Hms vigil

Utterly preposterous, as are nearly all such dramas. It's just a question of whether the entertainment can keep your disbelief suspended. All I ask for is a decent plot, a minimum of ham acting and as little delivering lines in a ludicrous hoarse whisper as possible.

Enjoying HMS Vigil but cannot help thinking there is a lot of 'artistic licence' .

A police officer finds a hidden USB drive on a military base and puts it in her laptop whilst still on the base! Personally I would have posted it into the cars air vent (for later retrieval) and made haste for the gate. Then there was the scene where the detective’s partner is allowed on base and to park up near a helicopter. Maybe security at the nuclear sub base is a lot less than the RAF sites I’ve visited.

That was the fish they were after? I don't think the sub showed on the sonar.
Good point, but I thought right at the start their nets would get snagged in something. I’ll have to go back and have a look, but maybe there’s something to be made of the fact there are two blobs on the screen. But then Vigil would have seen what was tracking them?

A British submarine damaged a fishing trawler it dragged through the Irish Sea, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.

The Karen was pulled at 10 knots after the sub snagged in its fishing nets 18 miles from Ardglass on the south-east shore of Northern Ireland in April. The trawler was badly damaged but the crew escaped unharmed.

Trawler skipper tells of 'submarine dragging incident' in Irish Sea
Read more

MoD minister Penny Mordaunt said: “The Royal Navy has now confirmed that a UK submarine was, in fact, responsible for snagging the Karen’s nets. The incident, the delay in identifying and addressing the events on that day, and their consequences are deeply regretted.

“It is standing Ministry of Defence policy not to comment in detail on submarine operations but, exceptionally, I can say that this incident occurred because the submarine did not correctly identify the Karen as a fishing vessel with nets in the water, and thus did not give her the berth she would otherwise have had.

, had the submarine been aware of the incident at the time, which it was not, then the protocols in place under the code of practice for submarine operations in the vicinity of fishing vessels would have required the submarine to surface and remain on scene while the matter was investigated.”

The four-member fishing crew scrambled to release wires connecting the net to the out of-control trawler, which had been moving forward slowly but was suddenly sent careering backwards through the water.

The vessel made its way back to Ardglass, one of Northern Ireland’s main fishing ports. Part of the deck had to be lifted because it was so badly damaged, and another section was ripped off. Shortly afterwards Mordaunt said she was confident no British submarine had been involved.

Margaret Ritchie, MP for South Down, said: “Fishermen must be confident that their vessels will not be damaged by submarine activity and where incidents do take place, the government will own up to it immediately. It’s important now that the owner and crew of the Karen are compensated for the damage done to their vessel and the time they have lost at sea as a result. I will continue to pursue this matter until we have reached a satisfactory resolution.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ine-dragged-fishing-trawler-through-irish-sea

There's been a few fishing boats downed by subs in that area, think there was a famous downing about ten years ago.

Over 30 years ago to be precise, HMS trenchant was the sub.

https://britishseafishing.co.uk/the-sinking-of-fv-antares/

Similar Incidents
There have been a number of incidents when submarines have collided with the submerged nets of trawlers in recent years. The French trawler Bugaled Breizh sunk off the coast of Cornwall in 2004 with all five crew members losing their lives. While the loss of the vessel is currently classed as unexplained there was a NATO exercise happening in the area at the time and collision with a submarine is seen as a highly likely cause of the sinking of the vessel. In 2016 it was announced that a new inquest would be opening into what happened to the Bugaled Breizh.

In 2015 the Scottish trawler Aquarius and the Northern Irish trawler Karen were involved in separate incidents when they had their nets caught by submerged submarines, while a French trawler was involved in an incident with a Portuguese submarine off the coast of Cornwall. There is a full article on all of these incidents which can be viewed by clicking here.

Following Events
After the recovery of the wreck of the Antares the vessel was restored and was displayed at the Scottish Maritime Museum in Irvine, North Ayrshire. However, the vessel was removed and scrapped in Troon in 2008 as the cost of maintaining the vessel had become prohibitive. HMS Trenchant remained in active service with the Royal Navy until it was decommissioned in 2021.

It is believed that since 1970 there have been at least twenty cases of submarines snagging the nets of trawlers with as many as 150 fishermen losing their lives in these incidents.

And I’m pretty sure the Vigil version of the sub shouldn’t be as spacious as that, but I’m not allowed to say.

They interviewed the set designer on R4 "Today" this morning. He said that although it was a pretty good approximation of a real sub, some artistic licence had to be exercised so there was more room to allow for face to face dialogue in scenes.

Just watched episode 1 and much enjoyed it. Realism... no, but it's gripping for sure.

Well that was good. Some good twists, but the predictability of some events actually adds to the tension. We all knew the activist would be a goner. Didn’t we?

Just watched episode two. I thought it was dire and won't be bothering with the rest of it. Is it really that difficult to write a script with a credible plot line?

But.... its fiction and am enjoying it,

Indeed; it's fiction, so inaccuracy of detail and artistic licence are par for the course. I think the tension was kept in the second episode, and whether far-fetched or not, this is good drama which holds water (!) , despite its limited geography or location.

One gripe, however; despite listening on good cans through a decent can amp, I'm having trouble with some of the Glaswegian accent (mainly the assistant detective and M.C.'s previous girlfriend. Maybe it's just a lack of articulation, but it is annoying none-the-less.

I do like these Sunday/Monday episodes; whets the appetite for the following Sunday.

In the 1980s, I used to work with someone from Helensborough, near Faslane.

He told me that the submariners had to stay on base for their first night ashore after a voyage. They were placed in a room which had all of the fixtures and fittings made of rubber and given free booze until they had beaten the hell out of each other before they were allowed to return to their families.

I don't know if the practice continues today.

I think the tension was kept in the second episode, and whether far-fetched or not, this is good drama which holds water (!).

You've gone a bit overboard there...

One gripe, however; despite listening on good cans through a decent can amp, I'm having trouble with some of the Glaswegian accent (mainly the assistant detective and M.C.'s previous girlfriend. Maybe it's just a lack of articulation, but it is annoying none-the-less.

Try two glasses of Bucky before each screening. ...also works with Matthew McConaughey films.

Did anyone notice a fish tank in the Captains office?, don’t think that would last very long unless it was half full, which it wasn’t.

advertisement

Back