advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t particularly like the way City & Chelsea use their wealth to buy up seemingly any & all promising players only to farm them out.

I don’t really buy the net spend argument either; the players that City talk about have taken up investment, been paid lavishly etc.

In this case, we are talking about academy players who have been on loan and then sold.

Not sure why it's bizarre, City have been the biggest net spenders over the last five years in the PL. Since 2009/10, they have to been the biggest net spenders across Europe (ahead of Barca in second). And City have a bottomless pit of wealth at their disposal as they are essentially backed by a country. Still no CL Cup though; maybe this is the year.

It's the hypocrisy that's bizarre. Of course, I will defend City, it's natural, but breaking into what was essentially a closed shop takes substantial investment. Backed by a country isn't true but nearly the whole Premier League is billionaire backed and registered offshore. It doesn't make it right but a fair lens is always clearest.

Don’t rise Oldius.
Just enjoy their piss boiling rage and uniformed, hypocritical bleating.

Worth posting again to cut through the froth and self-justification of our City brethren. This is to 2019. Doubtless the spending prowess of City will be even more impressive by the end of this transfer window. Note: the year on year gap continues to widen.

twitter-D-1-RRr-PXYAY2-HCI.jpg

Last edited:
Worth posting again to cut through the froth and self-justification of our City brethren. This is to 2019 doubtless the spending prowess of City will be even more impressive by the end of this transfer window. Note: the year on year gap continues to widen.

twitter-D-1-RRr-PXYAY2-HCI.jpg

We all know that City has spent money. Nobody is denying that. We also know that for decades, United, Liverpool, and others repeatedly broke transfer records. They then tried to close the door on anyone being able to compete with them again by having David Gill and Rick Parry on panels that should have had no connection with clubs. I saw something recently that said that Gary Pallister would be the most expensive player in history if the inflation of club income was applied to his transfer fee. Rio at £41.4m 20 years ago is another; Stan Collymore.....

Of course, academy players cost something but selling £60m of academy players is not the same as selling £60m of stars in terms of the initial investment. Without success, no one here would give a toss about City. The issue is that they have broken up the cartel of clubs who tried to stop anyone entering. In that sense, long may it continue and I would welcome others too.

Its an interesting one, for me, City have just supplanted one of the established 'big 4', probably Arsenal. They certainly haven't made the league more equal. No room for morals in football.

Oh dear, as ever we do have a few fishies who go around and around about how much City have spent to enable us to win lots of trophies.

As it has been pointed out a few times, this isn't unusual as Liverpool, Man utd, Chelsea have all outspent the rest of the league through the ages to make sure they got the best players and now City are the ones doing it, I think I read somewhere that City's was 57% of turnover which gives us some room for manoeuvre, plus we have sales from this and last season which might put us over £100m mark, so making a big deal of buying a £100m player isn't a big a deal as people are making out and I doubt that they paid it all up front either.

For lots of city fans, it's not about self entitlement or self justification, it's about the pleasure that the magical and wonderful way we play gives everyone. It will end at some point and go tits up, because that's what happens with us, until then I'm along for the ride and long may it continue.

So all the usual suspects can say what they want, we can have the most expensive squad and get beaten as we saw yesterday and I'm comfortable with that. My brother whose a big Chelsea fan, thinks that they are going to win the league and I think he may be right, as they have best balanced team, if that's the case I'll be happy with watching City play whatever happens.

Booing the taking of the knee is becoming popular again. Couldn't TV cameras pick on a few Booers and then invite them to explain their protest after the match?

Very sad news about Denis Law being diagnosed with vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
A great servant to both City and United and responsible for the second greatest moment of my football life on 27/04/1974.

Very sad news, He had incredible talent yet when he was at Huddersfield he did not even look the part. My memory was not about him playing in a game but a pre match kick about at Highbury when he returned a ball to a united player so accurately by using the heel of his boot on a half volley, you could only gasp in disbelief!

He was rather young when at Huddersfield to be fair, fans at the time knew how good he was that’s for sure.

Very sad for him, a great player.

2nd!

Ok, it's only Burnley and Watford but last season we failed to beat any of the teams that finished below us. It's looking good.

Glad to see that you are ok, usually you are busier on here!

We've been busy moving house and I've not had a lot to say...

I've had to give up my season ticket as we now live too far away from the Amex.

Next game on Sky is against Palace!

We've been busy moving house and I've not had a lot to say...

I've had to give up my season ticket as we now live too far away from the Amex.

Next game on Sky is against Palace!
I’ll be at your next home game, hopefully travelling home with at least a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back