advertisement

Best sounding computer playback program

^ absolutely. Why is it that people think software should be free? You wouldn’t put up with a Mickey Mouse rats nest of cobbled together amateur crap for your hifi*, so why won’t people spend a relatively tiny amount of money on good software that can transform the experience of listening to music? Roon is about 23p a day.

* or maybe you would!

Can't understand why so many folk are knocking the sound quality of Roon, compared to the dCS Mosaic app, we couldn't hear any difference. Luckily the lifetime sub was purchased before the price rise for $500, works out at $2 a week over 5 yrs for all the convenience, and it's so bloody fast compared to the dCS app

^ absolutely. Why is it that people think software should be free? You wouldn’t put up with a Mickey Mouse rats nest of cobbled together amateur crap for your hifi*, so why won’t people spend a relatively tiny amount of money on good software that can transform the experience of listening to music? Roon is about 23p a day.

By all means enjoy Roon but oddly enough some of the best software out there is free eg. Linux, Apache, PostgreSQL, MySQL, FreeBSD, and I am sure people can think of a zillion other examples, if you think free software in general is "a Mickey Mouse rats nest of cobbled together amateur crap" I suggest you steer clear of the internet which largely runs on free software :)

Tim

By all means enjoy Roon but oddly enough some of the best software out there is free eg. Linux, Apache, PostgreSQL, MySQL, FreeBSD, and I am sure people can think of a zillion other examples, if you think free software in general is "a Mickey Mouse rats nest of cobbled together amateur crap" I suggest you steer clear of the internet which largely runs on free software :)

Tim
My whole life I spent making software. I thought I was worth being paid. I think people who make software are worth being paid. I think software should be valued. Like music, or art, or imagining, or thinking. Too many people be getting ripped off.

My whole life I spent making software. I thought I was worth being paid. I think people who make software are worth being paid. I think software should be valued. Like music, or art, or imagining, or thinking. Too many people be getting ripped off.

I am not quibbling with that but then again free software is often coded by people who are paid. Eg Google pays people to work on Linux because it makes a ton of money from stuff that runs on it.

Tim

I am not quibbling with that but then again free software is often coded by people who are paid. Eg Google pays people to work on Linux because it makes a ton of money from stuff that runs on it.

Tim
If you aren’t prepared to consider paying a few quid for the likes of JRiver, or Roon, then you are a cheapskate. By all means constrain yourself to flakey freeware lashed up by an attention seeking incel in a bedroom. Good software is worth paying for.

If you aren’t prepared to consider paying a few quid for the likes of JRiver, or Roon, then you are a cheapskate. By all means constrain yourself to flakey freeware lashed up by an attention seeking incel in a bedroom. Good software is worth paying for.

Puzzled. Why I am I a cheapskate for not buying software that I have no use for?

Tim

Puzzled. Why I am I a cheapskate for not buying software that I have no use for?

Tim
I said “consider paying for” not “buying”. In general i object to cheapskates thinking software, whether it is an operating system, a music player, a music file, or the copywright of a composition, or a book, should be free just because it isn’t tangible.

I said “consider paying for” not “buying”. In general i object to cheapskates thinking software, whether it is an operating system, a music player, a music file, or the copywright of a composition, or a book, should be free just because it isn’t tangible.

Is anybody disagreeing with that?

Tim

Remember roon doesn’t have or offer advertising space or try to gain revenue from a third party, licensed software doesn’t come free.

Last edited:
Had enough of windows 10 , you cant stop it downloading updates , its always doing something in the back ground , purchased a 10th gen nuc , put roonrock onto it , streaming qubuz , using a phone as remote , sounds great and hassle free , best thing i ever done . phil

Had enough of windows 10 , you cant stop it downloading updates , its always doing something in the back ground , purchased a 10th gen nuc , put roonrock onto it , streaming qubuz , using a phone as remote , sounds great and hassle free , best thing i ever done . phil

Snap!! Exactly the same NUC with 256GB SSD and 16GB of RAM - roon ROCK is super light and very quick, boots-up In 20 seconds. And it’s free ;)

Just saying that Roon users deserve better than Micky Mouse free software running their servers, and they would be happy to pay for an undoubtedly better experience of a fully custom written OS compared to the garbage it runs on now.

Just kidding around, I couldn't care less about Roon as it doesn't do anything I need. I'm just standing up against juvenile accusations for anyone who has ever contributed to FOSS.

You can. I have some Windows installations that after installing all security updates and what not will not upgrade to the next version. You are therefore stuck on that version forever..........

However its one of the reasons that I have moved away from both Windows and macOS as my working OS to Linux some 3 years ago. I still play with them and have Windows 11 and Monterey (macOS12) running. Sad no?

Cheers,

DV

* or maybe you would!

Some of the most rock stable operating systems in the world are free, like FreeBSD and Debian.

A lot of people believe in Open Source software, and contribute to such projects freely.

Roon is a convenience, and a nice UI, but you can get equal performance for £0.

advertisement

Back