advertisement

Turntable blind testing on the gadget show…

I thought the test was fine, it questioned whether someone could tell the difference in musical quality over a sizeable financial range. A £17k deck is going to be better equipped than a £159 deck, it would seem counterproductive to put the same cartridge on all 3. You wouldn't insist on putting a 1.3L Ford engine in a Ferrari when testing it against a Fiesta.
All it shows, really, is that blind tests are sensitive enough to show up the pretty gross differences between these extremes.

Seems a perfectly reasonable test and conclusion from my point of view.

Which makes a change, as some of the previous audio-related twaddle that Jon Bentley has come out with on that show had had me close to throwing stuff at the TV…

Nice comparison, not a strict blind test or anything but going in the right direction. It would be nice if the self proclaimed golden eared reviewers could condescend themselves to this as well, but they are probably too busy hoisting their 5k power cords on cable lifters.

I agree that the differences between a 17k TT and one costing 150UKP is probably more pronounced than the differences between similarly priced DACs.

I wonder if they level-matched them, since the output voltage of the three cartridges involved will hardly be the same?

Not a hugely convincing test.
All we now know is that the lady in the video preferred the Linn in this particular setup, with this particular recording and particular pair of loudspeakers. As to which one of the turntables was most faithful to the original recording, we do not know.

All it shows, really, is that blind tests are sensitive enough to show up the pretty gross differences between these extremes.
Does it actually? I wonder if there was a statistical analysis suggesting that the outcome was not a result of random chance?

Not a hugely convincing test.
All we now know is that the lady in the video preferred the Linn in this particular setup, with this particular recording and particular pair of loudspeakers. As to which one of the turntables was most faithful to the original recording, we do not know.

We don't even know that; everything on telly is fake, you know ;-)

I thought the most interesting comment was that she thought she could hear the autotune.
I more interesting comparison would of been three analogue front ends using different engineering in the same price range, say the LP12, a big Clearaudio with a linear tracking tonearm and perhaps a high mass TT equipped with a quality unipivot tonearm.
Or perhaps belt drive vs direct drive vs idler drive.
Sometimes you gotta take people through the basics first because their palate is not ready for other things, coffee is like this where people will talk up the coffee I’m about to make for one of their friends and I talk it down. I tell them I don’t expect them to be blown away but if they drink it a few times they will become less and less satisfied with what they liked before and be careful as ignorance is bliss. Once you start…

So I can imagine them acclimatising then doing the sort of blind test you mention thinking back to how new it all was when I first heard decent systems back in the 80s, my ears were not ready for some of it.

Sometimes you gotta take people through the basics first because their palate is not ready for other things, coffee is like this where people will talk up the coffee I’m about to make for one of their friends and I talk it down. I tell them I don’t expect them to be blown away but if they drink it a few times they will become less and less satisfied with what they liked before and be careful as ignorance is bliss. Once you start…

So I can imagine them acclimatising then doing the sort of blind test you mention thinking back to how new it all was when I first heard decent systems back in the 80s, my ears were not ready for some of it.

I would have thought a DJ that has had 'decks' and 'vinyls' everywhere (her words) would have a good enough ear to pick up on the differences in high end analogue front ends, but maybe not, maybe she wouldn't be discerning enough. Even doing a budget vs Midrange vs high end I still think they could have used a Planar 3 or even Planar 6, a Michell Orbe and the TOTR LP12, three complete front ends from three UK manufacturers at varying price points, and definitely a LP that was recorded on analogue equipment.

Don't you think you might be over analyzing this? It was just a short segment on a TV show to intrastate that spending more on a turntable can get you a better sounding one. That's it. It wasn't a three-day long triple-blind test of sixteen turntable combinations because that would be boring shite that no one other than anorak audiophile beard-scratchers would want to watch.

Get a grip people.

For the two people who seemed to get the wrong idea about this test, it was for turntable systems costing different amounts, not for an individual tt, or arm or cartridge, and I have no doubt the Clearaudio would be the vfm option.

I must be going deaf. I’ve listened carefully three times now and only ever heard her say ‘vinyl’.

I can't quite make out on my phone whether she says 'I've got thousands of vinyls ' or 'I've got thousands of vinyl' ,
But your point is?

advertisement

Back