advertisement

Turntable blind testing on the gadget show…

The average non HiFi interested punters reaction would probably be a complete outrage that there exists turntable at a price range above £100, let alone £17k.
The type of people that watch the Gadget Show wouldn't even batter an eyelid at spending £1000 on a mobile phone or £2000 on a gaming PC - I don't think the prices would be too shocking.

For the two people who seemed to get the wrong idea about this test, it was for turntable systems costing different amounts, not for an individual tt, or arm or cartridge, and I have no doubt the Clearaudio would be the vfm option.
Was just an advert really.

The type of people that watch the Gadget Show wouldn't even batter an eyelid at spending £1000 on a mobile phone or £2000 on a gaming PC - I don't think the prices would be too shocking.

That would be shocking me (with £20 Nokia 2g)!

I can't quite make out on my phone whether she says 'I've got thousands of vinyls ' or 'I've got thousands of vinyl' ,

Either way it's incorrect, unless she stocks a warehouse full of kitchen flooring for the first. The second is simply grammatically impossible and therefore complete bollards. What's wrong with good old 'LPs' or 'records'. By referring to them as vinyl(s), it's akin to saying that you have a lot of metal on your drive. :D

Don't you think you might be over analyzing this? It was just a short segment on a TV show to intrastate that spending more on a turntable can get you a better sounding one. That's it. It wasn't a three-day long triple-blind test of sixteen turntable combinations because that would be boring shite that no one other than anorak audiophile beard-scratchers would want to watch.

Get a grip people.
I agree Mr Pig. I thought it was a very well-presented piece, which only hi-fi nerds could find fault with. It achieved its aim rather well and very concisely.

Either way it's incorrect, unless she stocks a warehouse full of kitchen flooring for the first. The second is simply grammatically impossible and therefore complete bollards. What's wrong with good old 'LPs' or 'records'. By referring to them as vinyl(s), it's akin to saying that you have a lot of metal on your drive. :D

That's pretty much what I thought Mike and why I passed comment in my original post.
I'd call them records, sold in record shops and played on record players.
Though good to see record players getting some exposure on mainstream TV.

Don't you think you might be over analyzing this? It was just a short segment on a TV show to intrastate that spending more on a turntable can get you a better sounding one. That's it. It wasn't a three-day long triple-blind test of sixteen turntable combinations because that would be boring shite that no one other than anorak audiophile beard-scratchers would want to watch.

Get a grip people.
Indeed… and the reason they all used different cartridges is because they’re all complete packages… well almost anyway, the LP12 is the only one which comes with a phono stage so it’s actually the best VFM.:D

The amplifier already had a phono stage fitted, making the built in one on the Linn redundant ;)
Might’ve sounded even better if they used the Urika then!

Actually, I’m betting they probably did. The other two decks had MM cartridges, the LP12 is the only one with an MC. Also, they’d have needed to have a tonearm cable fitted to bypass the Urika.

An interesting comparison for me.

Back in the early 1970s a magazine did a subjective test of various direct drive and belt drive tables The LP12 won and no-one knew why!

Up to then turntables were judged by their speed correctness, wow, flutter and rumble. Little else mattered and arms were lightweight with an awful Shure V15 highest trackability cartridge, all conceits at the time.

Things moved on fortunately for lovers of music:)

Only a couple of years ago the Swedish equivalent of Consumer Reports 'Råd och Rön' did a big test of turntables. As usual with TT's the measurements done was hard to interpret so they settled it on SQ. Rega P1 won. All decks where in that same price range.

I enjoyed it and took it for what (I thought) it was i.e proof that expensive TT's sound noticeably better

I agree @fegs . Even listening to the video through a laptop it was pretty obvious which was which.

Might have been slightly more convincing if the guy hadn't said which was which at the beginning. It's not difficult to tell which direction he's walking in even when blindfolded - and the DJ knew the expensive one was on the right

advertisement

Back