advertisement

Turntable blind testing on the gadget show…

Apparently the speakers have “diamond tweeters”. Wow. They listen to Daft Punk and she keeps talking about Pharrel….. interesting viewing, though

A bit of a blatant plug for a certain speaker brand. But, any way, I gather this was actually made by non HiFi nerds for non HiFi nerds? Are there any vid's out there when a 'golden ear' (like us) actually dare to participate in a blind test?

I found it interesting in the sense that it kind of supported a view that I’ve held for a while now…..

Top notch vinyl reproduction needs significantly more investment than good digital replay. I would wager a similar test with DAC’s would be much closer.

Seems a reasonable test to me and a step up from the usual nonsense in the audiophile press. A criticism might be linking perceived performance to price rather than the features responsible for the performance. In normal circumstances one would expect the difference between budget and midrange to be larger than midrange and premium. In a more thoughtful test rather than one intended as light entertainment it might lead to an examiniation of how representative the performance of the midrange hardware might have been.

I've seen a longer version of this and they both agreed that the Linn was the best but the clearaudio deck was the best value and the one they'd probably buy if it came down to it.

I found it interesting in the sense that it kind of supported a view that I’ve held for a while now…..

Top notch vinyl reproduction needs significantly more investment than good digital replay. I would wager a similar test with DAC’s would be much closer.

Spot-on!

Interesting that Adele was able to clearly identify these differences in a blind test without turning into a quivering wreck and needing therapy after the session to cope with the stress and anxiety.

That is why the critics of blind testing slam them, isn't it?

Just saying..... ;)

I can name quite a few people who insists that vinyl records and it's playback is only a kind of distorsion generator and we easily manipulated audiophiles only imaging that the dearer ones sound better because we want to. I'm quite sure they could explain away this result as irrelevant to...

I thought the most interesting comment was that she thought she could hear the autotune.
I more interesting comparison would of been three analogue front ends using different engineering in the same price range, say the LP12, a big Clearaudio with a linear tracking tonearm and perhaps a high mass TT equipped with a quality unipivot tonearm.
Or perhaps belt drive vs direct drive vs idler drive.

Spot-on!

Interesting that Adele was able to clearly identify these differences in a blind test without turning into a quivering wreck and needing therapy after the session to cope with the stress and anxiety.

That is why the critics of blind testing slam them, isn't it?

Just saying..... ;)
No. Misrepresenting the argument doesn’t mean you win, you know ;)

The test was fine given the remit, but I'd have liked to have seen that cheap Ortofon cart on all three decks.
But then the test wasn't designed to satisfy audiophiles arguing over turntable and system hierarchy theory.

I thought the test was fine, it questioned whether someone could tell the difference in musical quality over a sizeable financial range. A £17k deck is going to be better equipped than a £159 deck, it would seem counterproductive to put the same cartridge on all 3. You wouldn't insist on putting a 1.3L Ford engine in a Ferrari when testing it against a Fiesta.

advertisement

Back