advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Are the Ferraris hard on tires, or do they get decent tire life?

Hard to say on current form but Monaco is notoriously light on tyre wear. I think their pace is genuine so assuming no pitlane or mechanical cockups they should covert to a win with VER in second especially with SAI holding a solid 4th place keeping BOT and VER honest. It will be interesting to see if HAM can make any progress. Assuming no failures ahead, I struggle to see more than a place or two but even those will be unlikely, remember Mansell had 5 sec a lap pace over Senna and couldn't get it done and there is less than a second covering the top 7.

Could be a long day for a few of the cars, I suspect a first corner tangle between VER and LEC is highly likely, we will see how circumspect VER can be, will be a growing up opportunity for him. BOT and SAI I suspect will behave but I fear for NOR with GAS behind on a mission. Will VET behave with HAM ahead, he has not come out better than HAN since forever when they go wheel to wheel.

I am excited, could be a good one but sadly more likely to be a snooze with all drivers driving well within themselves once the first couple of corners are out of the way.

I am excited, could be a good one but sadly more likely to be a snooze with all drivers driving well within themselves once the first couple of corners are out of the way.

I think this is how it'll turn out as well: largely processional with 7 overtakes or less.

Strategy, strategy and strategy.

Barring mistakes and bad luck, strategy will be key, and the team who pit first will be grabbing a very large intake of breath just before they make that call. Love it.

Not universally the case - for many years, the Head of Research of Paints Division in Slough, full of PhDs and D. Phils, was a B.Sc., so clearly not Oxbridge, because then it would have been a B.A. or M.A. But agreed that it is a problem often encountered in English life - some of the big London patent attorney firms won't look at you unless you're an Oxbridge chap/ess.
True in the early days (I worked for ICI In fibres 1961 to 95) but the organisation changed to measure achivement rather than background, even lowly HNC's could make senior roles, a very rare occurence, hard,but not impossible. Back to F1 .....

I think this is how it'll turn out as well: largely processional with 7 overtakes or less.

The safety car has been used at every Monaco race since 2010. 21 times and 86 laps in total. So we will see one today. The question is ... who will it favour? I think that's the only way we'll get any substantial change in the order.

Leclerc and Verstappen have a bit of history, I suspect Verstappen's uncompromising style might come undone if Leclerc chooses to be less accommodating than Hamilton, but it all depends on the start they both get. Fear for Hamilton in the melee, but we will see. If Leclerc can stay ahead I fancy him to take the race as the lots of corners and relatively slow speed of the track is what this year's Ferrari will excel at. It could be interesting... but probably won't be :D

Ferrari’s sporting director said they had an ‘extreme focus’ on qualifying pace (for obvious reasons) right from the start of the race meeting, and indeed they had been quick in every practice session.

What does this focus on qualifying mean they have done differently compared to a regular race weekend?

I wonder if they are re-learning exactly how to compete with MB and RBR, who presumably already focussed harder on the whole weekend.

Were there any passes for position in this race, apart from pit strategy?

Looks like maybe Russell got past Latifi? Was that on track?

No safety car today.

IMHO, I find Monaco a hard watch due to lack of overtaking opportunities.

However, I watched it all.

Only got excited by Bottas's crossed nut :D

IMHO, I find Monaco a hard watch due to lack of overtaking opportunities.

I like the scenery.

Looks like they had to tell Serena Williams to mach schau with the flag, she seems to be about the least skilled and least enthusiastic flag-waver I can recall.

The brass band for the anthems in a nice touch.

advertisement

Back