advertisement

Audible difference by 1 piece.

The last few bits have made big differences.

The cheapest was my attempt to decouple the floorstanding speakers from the wooden floor (with void underneath) a couple of years ago. Works very well I think.

The latest is my new c.d. player, which is still freaking me out.

And when I changed a PDM DAC to a Museatex DAC, that suddenly made a massive difference - texture and image. It was that experience which made me want to invest time and money into improving hifi. So DAC as well.

Fascinating post. First I’ve heard of Museatex. Which DAC do you have?

Cheating with more than one (but related) audible improvement experience. The Lyngdorf TDAi 3400 is a suprisingly good amplifier at its price point, but set up Room Perfect and its a revelation. Who knew that the room could make such a difference and compensating for the room such an improvement (lots of you I guess!). As its easy to switch Room Perfect in and out at the touch of a button there is no room for doubt about the effect. The next audible difference - more subtle and quite unexpected - was the introduction of a Network Acoustics "Eno" ethernet filter. Not really a believer in that kind of thing, but listening to a demo the audible difference for me was undeniable and significant and installing it in my system between router and streamer has brought streaming up to and sometimes beyond CD quality.

The Obelisk 2s made a big difference as well, obviously :)

Speakers AR3a Improved to Quad ESL57 in 1974

Amplifiers MF Preamp with Quad 303 to Exposure VI, VII and VIII in 1989

Record decks Garrard 401 to Linn LP12 in 1980

Another vote here for the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400.

This amplifier has honestly transformed our 802D3's from sounding pretty average in our two channel room to sounding fantastic. RoomPerfect really is that good.

Hearing this transformation for ourselves, in our own system at home, gave us the confidence to then become Lyngdorf dealers. 13 (out of 13) successful home trials later, of both the TDAI-3400 and TDAI-1120, being further evidence of the benefits of Lyngdorf's amplification and, of course, RoomPerfect.

Best, Tom

Last edited:
Shahinian Arcs have been mentioned more than once and I have to add my name to that list. Bought locally without audition because they were cheap. I couldn’t believe my ears or my luck when I plugged them in. A ‘keeper’ as they say.

Speakers: Rega RS3 -> Naim Ovator S400
Followed by MiniDSP DDRC-24 for room correction - made a bigger difference than getting a bigger/better power amp.

I'll go for one that has changed my whole perspective on vinyl replay.

I first started buying records in my teens in the 1970s. As well as the crackles and pops that drove me mad, I always wondered why so many records sounded "harsh" towards side end.

Scroll on many years/decades and joining Forums got me to realise this "harshness" was distortion, inner groove distortion (IGD). Still drove me mad, early Joni Mitchell was unplayable, Tubular Bells, Rumours - all distorted to some degree towards side end.

Then a month or so ago I bought my first micro linear stylus cartridge, an Audio Technica AT-VM95ML, and IGD is no more.

Why has it taken 45 years or so? I have no idea.

So there you have it, my nomination is a micro linear stylus/cartridge.

After that, nominations would be possibly active speakers and a record cleaning machine.

ALLO Digione Signature did it for me.

Allo DigiOne made a surprisingly large difference in my system too, especially as I was using a Halide Bridge / AQVOX combo at the time, which is no slouch. Compared to the Halide Bridge it is more open, more dynamic, better bass, better top end, just an upgrade all round really.

It's worth mentioning that my DAC uses a standard PLL on the digital receiver, which makes it transport-sensitive. However, feed it an ultra-low jitter source, and this is a non-issue.

advertisement

Back