advertisement

Audible difference by 1 piece.

acass

pfm Member
I don't know if this question has been asked before but I'll take a chance.

What single piece of equipment has made the biggest audible difference in your system?

For me it was a Schitt Modi 3 DAC. I don't know why it made such a difference perhaps it was going from analog to digital for the first time and it was not on all CD's.

Probably cartridges or speakers as they tend to vary widely but all components can sound very different to others whether turntables, tonearms & amplification.

SINGLE piece? Are you joking? :)

I have been VERY, very, lucky to pick some changes that would have been obvious "improvements" to a deaf man here - move to screened twin interconnects from unscreened, move to Avondale monos, move from DV to Lyra, move away from SS phono stages, moving away from an ARO. All have produced very significant jumps in my enjoyment of recorded music.

£2k+ of room treatment - very very happy with the outcome and should’ve done it years ago, could have made my own and saved a decent amount but not possible due to spms, I don’t regret spending a single £.

I kind of expect speakers to make a difference, but the one piece of equipment that surprised me in the difference it made was a phono stage. I went from a Schiit Mani to an Avid Pulsus and the difference was far from subtle. I know the price difference is massive too, but even so, I didn't expect to hear such a huge difference. The Mani, in fairness is a very nice phono stage, but switching to the Pulsus... I felt like the performers came over and gave me a hug!

My phono stage. Rebuilt, OTT overtuned, Puresound P10 with ginormous potted tranny and choke into Salas regulation, NOS Tungsram valves, Schinkoh RIAA resistances etc. etc. Absolute madness, but I like it.

I think that everything I have purchased has made an improvement round to my Jadis mono amps but the single item without which every thing else would struggle is my regenerator. My local supply is very poor, even though I have not tested it recently.

advertisement

Back