advertisement

Audible difference by 1 piece.

Speakers (each and every time I've changed them - only 4 times in as many decades)

killing the ceiling echo with stretch micro perforated ceiling over acoustic rock wool round 7k€

QRT quantum QBase8 and QX4

Better equipment of any sort :)

I was waiting for that Steve.

I was hoping someone would have found something cheap.
Oh, "you should have been more explicit"* :)
How about removing unneeded boards from a NAC72 - costs nothing, is totally reversible and provides a very worthwhile upgrade.

Or if you don't have any Naim, leaving the space between the speakers completely free of hifi and furniture. Might cost a bit more in speaker cable.

* quote from an old Max Boyce rugby sketch...

Going Active then DSP but I can't be 100% certain.

Every part of a system and the room makes a difference.

What did make the least bit of difference would have been easier to answer; Cables and different DAC's.

Speakers obviously, they are at the end of the chain, get them right for your room and then you can balance the rest of your system to go with them.

Going omnidirectional, initially with Duevel Planets (now Venus).

And then fitting the sound to the room with a DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0

The modestly priced, easily accommodated, combination of Planets and Anti-mode is a hi-fi giant killer.

Mind you, the biggest positive change to my listening habits came when I acquired my first (and last) streamer, an Auralic Aries Mini. It's a wonderful thing.

Adding a Hicap to my Supernait : a world of difference on dynamic, bass depth and clarity.
Similar results by adding some Neil Jadman’s boards to my NAC 32.5 into my CB Hicap.

Moving to a Rotel RCD-965BX around '92 after a succession of cheap CD players - Couldn't believe how musical CD suddenly sounded. Funnily enough, whenever I plug it in it still sounds superb and beguiling, to the extent where I think I could happily live with it as my main source again if I ever needed to...

I don't know if this question has been asked before but I'll take a chance.

What single piece of equipment has made the biggest audible difference in your system?

For me it was a Schitt Modi 3 DAC. I don't know why it made such a difference perhaps it was going from analog to digital for the first time and it was not on all CD's.

When I first raised my ESLs the difference was very clear and for the better. So speaker stands at the correct height mattered there quite a lot.

I think, when I replaced my Quad 520 with a Krell KSA 50, that also made an enormous difference, so amp too.

And when I changed a PDM DAC to a Museatex DAC, that suddenly made a massive difference - texture and image. It was that experience which made me want to invest time and money into improving hifi. So DAC as well.

Speakers definitely. Dynaudio contour to Shahinian Arcs made a massive leap and on a side path LS3/5A's.

Other than that decent cartridge change on the right TT made a massive improvement. Troika on LP12/Naim Aro
and later the realisation that Audio Technica make astounding MM carts for very little money and they have a perfect synergy with the Technics 1200 series.

advertisement

Back