advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you find the Belles Class A power-amplifier? What's the power output?

Lovely system that...! wOw

Regards;
Peter
Hi Peter, I really like the SA30, I think it has been measured to about 50-60 watts, and it is said to be pure class A, which I tend to believe as it gets quite hot, but as I live in the North Atlantic, I don’t mind that.
The sound is effortless and never hard sounding, it takes about 20 min before it sounds it best, but already from cold the sound is nice. I don’t feel like I need more power, as I very seldom play really loud, also the combination of the Supratek and the Belles gives a good drive to the music without the need to blow the roof off.

Second pair of rebuilt Tannoy HPD 12” in Devon cabs arrived yesterday. :)

50965469396_74a1458fb5_b.jpg

How are you finding the vintage/Class A combo in comparison to the Raidho's and ScanSonics you had a while back?

Both the Scansonics and (especially) the Raidhos are fantastic speakers, with both mid-range and treble clarity being some of the best I’ve ever heard - especially driven by the uber-neutral Bryston.

The Tannoys are something rather different, especially now driven by the Sugden, which is a fantastic match for them. This combo brings something rather more visceral, and certainly a bit more in the lower registers. Does it match the clarity of the Raidhos. No. Do I care? I honestly don’t know, but I’m going to further explore this path, through better class-A (not sure what that’s going to need as the IA-4 seems fairly special), and, I hope, looking at new cabs for one of these sets of HPDs.

Last edited:
Are both the Tannoy's you have of a certain vintage/era?

I understand they’re the same unit, as used from ‘75 to about ‘77. Serial nos are of the form 315/nnn mmm. Mine are nnn of 219 (white) and 507 (wood). Both sets restored by @cooky1257, with the 219... drivers in the white cabs gaining new paper cones, where the 507... set still have the originals.

Both sets sound remarkably similar, and both just wonderful.

Any work on the cross overs? wonder how the old Tannoys compare against the new Heritage variants https://www.tannoy.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DEL

I think crossovers inspected / tested, but nothing major done.

Comparing to the new options - I personally have no experience of the new, but Paul of RFC is a big fan of the 12” HPD and believes he can build a better speaker using refurbished sets than Tannoy’s current offerings. But he would, wouldn’t he!

Is there a method to directly locate the posts that contain pictures within this thread, or can they only be discovered by manually searching through all of the pages?

It is an E-480. Astonishing amp.

Interesting, but not surprising. Where I live there are two competent Accuphase dealers, both with decades of experience with the brand. One sells Dynaudio and mostly Accuphase Class A/B amps, the other sells Bowers & Wilkins and mostly Accuphase Class A amps (both also have very long relationships with their respective speaker brands).

The Tannoys are something rather different, especially now driven by the Sugden, which is a fantastic match for them. This combo brings something rather more visceral, and certainly a bit more in the lower registers. Does it match the clarity of the Raidhos. No. Do I care? I honestly don’t know, but I’m going to further explore this path, through better class-A (not sure what that’s going to need as the IA-4 seems fairly special), and, I hope, looking at new cabs for one of these sets of HPDs.
Let me know if you want to move on an empty pair of Devon cabs at some point, I may be interested :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back