advertisement

Are we getting pissed off with the BBC

I actually do like the BBC & feel it is value for money, what does piss me off though is the constant hoops that you sometimes need to jump through to actually get the content.

Why should I need to create an account to watch I-Player that I gladly pay for with my licence fee. That is my point, don't put the barriers in the way for the sake of calling it progress.

Gate keeping via an account is done for a variety of reasons. It protects your children from accessing content that might harm them.

when ghe licence becomes a subscription, then the infrastructure for gate keeping will be necessary to filter subscribers from non-subscribers

I like the BBC, though in the case of TV I sometimes think they spread the jam a bit too thinly across too many channels. BBC Radio is excellent particularly R3 and R4 and worth the fee alone.

I see a couple of posters have objected having to set up an account to watch iPlayer. I didn't find it difficult and I'm a numpty with that sort of thing, I think it took me about ten minutes and once it's done it's done. Am I missing something?

The BBC is so far down my list of outrage.

When the Tories do away with the license fee & make it a subscription channel I will expect further outrage.

R3+4. The orchestras, BBC4, Newsnight, all worth the entry price. Setting up an account is hardly difficult, and once it’s done it’s done. There’s plenty on that boils my piss, particularly Laura K and Hugh Pym, but plenty of other good stuff to balance it out. We won’t know what we had till it’s gone.

In general, people are getting disenchanted with the BBC. Including their staff - the latest big name to leave them is Graham Norton, their highest paid star. It's mainly because of their bias which goes against their charter. They are constantly pushing a left-wing agenda, including nonsensical climate change alarmism, and their pro-EU bias is staggering - apparently the BBC senior management of the time couldn't believe the majority of the proletariat had the temerity (or good sense) to vote to leave. This is illustrated by the audience of Question Time (which never has equal numbers of panelists with opposing views, always a majority in favour of the BBC agenda) falling from 8.3 million on 22 Oct 2009
to 0.7 million on 19 Nov 2020.

Having said that, the BBC has shown some good stuff recently. 'The Repair Shop' is well worth watching, the comedy series 'Ghosts' is excellent and very clever, and their football and snooker coverage is usually worth watching (despite Gary Lineker). Most of the rest I wouldn't bother with, especially the news.

It’s a sh-t sandwich. If all you got was Nick Robinson asking Rishi Sunak if he was “tough enough” to make necessary cuts no one would be arsed defending it. Throw in a nice costume drama and some cheap jazz programming and here we are talking about things balancing each other out.

Anyway. iPlayer was an absolute triumph of public sector innovation with massive potential to serve the public good in a way that was also fantastically popular, and that’s why it’s been strangled. Anything the BBC does well has to auto-destruct for fear of lobbying about its “anti-competitiveness”. Just one of the ways they’re destroying themselves.

Don't you sometimes think that some people inhabit a slightly different dimension, where most stuff's the same but those purple lobsters have manipulated the space-time continuum so their perception of the World looks like nonsense to the rest of us?

Last edited:
I’m not pissed off with the BBC. It has offered decades of quality programming.
No commercial advertising. Ever. Priceless.

In general, people are getting disenchanted with the BBC. Including their staff - the latest big name to leave them is Graham Norton, their highest paid star. It's mainly because they are constantly pushing a left-wing agenda, including nonsensical climate change alarmism...

iu

id917932200

The question really is about future funding of the BBC. The Charter renewal is not far off now, and the question probably needs to be settled in the process. As a State Broadcaster [like the NRK in Norway] this places certain constraints on it compared to commercial senders.

Given that the License system is regressive and actually is a de facto tax on watching any Television, it seems to me that the obvious method of paying for it should be via the general taxation of the nation. This is much less regressive. I am sure many here would think that the current license fee is good value and fair, but for the poorest in society the amount is truly significant.

The other method would be subscription for actually watching the BBC. This would probably be the sternest test of the BBC as it would have to become truly competitive and no doubt that subscription would be more expensive than the current license fee as many people simply do not tune to the BBC any more. But it would certainly be fairer on the majority of people than the current regressive license.

I am not going to make a list of what I don't care for about the BBC, but a clue may be found in the observation that I gave up on it eighteen years ago.

As for the radio output, these days with the explosion of media audio outlets, I believe that BBC Radio as a traditional and mainstream system has reached its best before date.

Just two pence' worth from George

I'd be happy if the fee came from general taxation, might not sound like a lot for some but it will be a couple of weeks food for some others.

I listen to a lot of radio at work and there isn't much to draw me away from R3 & 4 ion Essex.

Is a subscription model going to work for FM radio?

If the BBC ditch Mrs Brown’s Boys then that would improve my opinion.

Run BBC 3 and BBC 4 (TV) in the day as well.

Stop running vox pops as news. I really don’t care what various (editorial picked) members of the public think about whatever current news item. It turns the news into a roundup of who thinks what, it is cheap filler.

Sack Jeremy Vine, Gary Footballplayer and Zoe Ball.

Move that woman on 6Music, Mary Ann Hobbs to the middle of the night, so I don’t have to hear her.

Stop producing ‘bodice rippers’ and overly sexualised content. It is boring. There are plenty of other channels churning out stuff to amuse 13 year old boys and their idle hands.

Other than that, I have no complaints

o_O

Dera Dweezil,

We probably have to accept [sigh] that VHF radio will sooner or later be history, or at least the broadcast band be allocated to local independent radio, which itself would be a good thing if it happened.

Best wishes from George

Cry from the aged disgruntlement camp. All my later life to achieve fee-free watching only to cherish less than 5 years. Whereas I question why over 75s should be treated differently, the BBC could have handled it differently and probably at less cost (= wastage) of licence money.

Both the BBC and ITV etc. are like curates' eggs; good in parts, ranging from excruciatingly dire to inspired. However, BBC radio soldiers on with much the same quality programming.

I remember when (technically) I needed a licence to listen to BBC radio; never met anyone who had one, though!

Dera Dweezil,

We probably have to accept [sigh] that VHF radio will sooner or later be history, or at least the broadcast band be allocated to local independent radio, which itself would be a good thing if it happened.

Best wishes from George

NOOOOOO!!

In total we must have 20 FM radios in the home and business, local independent radio here is pretty awful.

If that day comes hopefully we'll all have unlimited mobile data.

advertisement

Back