advertisement

Are we getting pissed off with the BBC

You don’t need a VPN to use a Sky box as a Freesat source when in France. At least, I don’t. No computers involved - I haven’t got the hang of watching TV via a computer yet. TBH, I don’t think I want to get the hang of it.
I don't know if the same applies in Spain.
Do you need a dish?

Don't you sometimes think that some people inhabit a slightly different dimension, where most stuff's the same but those purple lobsters have manipulated the space-time continuum so their perception of
the World looks like nonsense to the rest of us?
Yep
I love the British Broadcasting Corporation.
Where else could you find such gems as I'm a Celebrity Get Me out of Here!
A tonic in these dark times.

The government removed their funding of the licence fee for over 75s, so blame them not the BBC.

I am aware of that, but the BBC could have and should have addressed this in a far better and sensitive way; not least as it was in the middle of a pandemic!!!!! I wonder how much actual extra income it generates over, say, a couple of years when Capita's costs and extra surveillance etc. are factored in. I do find that remuneration of certain TV personnel is way out of kilter to their function; worse even that footballers etc.

I cannot understand why entertainment should command greater remuneration than, e.g. governance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55076608

I have been for a while, when I want to watch I-Player, after paying for it, I don't want to create an account & log in :mad:

I don't want BBC department heads stopping me from listening to certain stations because they can't measure the figures, just give me the bloody radio station :mad:

Plenty more like these but then again I am over 55.

iPlayer first ran as an open resource - loads of moaning from the usual internet moaners that people were watching without a license, so they introduced the registration system
- now get loads of moaners who can't be bothered with something simple that they quite willingly do to buy a toaster online. o_O

BBC can't win it seems .....

I am aware of that, but the BBC could have and should have addressed this in a far better and sensitive way; not least as it was in the middle of a pandemic!!!!! I wonder how much actual extra income it generates over, say, a couple of years when Capita's costs and extra surveillance etc. are factored in. I do find that remuneration of certain TV personnel is way out of kilter to their function; worse even that footballers etc.

I cannot understand why entertainment should command greater remuneration than, e.g. governance.

You must be the first person to imply that Boris deserves more than Graham Norton!

BBC could start its "overhaul" with getting rid of 50% of the management layers as well as knocking a zero off the ridiculous payments to their "so-called star" presenters!

Given that the License system is regressive and actually is a de facto tax on watching any Television, it seems to me that the obvious method of paying for it should be via the general taxation of the nation. This is much less regressive.

Just two pence' worth from George

The snags being:

1) General Taxation puts the Government in day-by-day control of how much the BBC gets. Worse than now. The primary point of the fee is to try and get the Goverment away from the path the money takes. Our big problem is that they've been diverting part of it it, etc, anyway, as well as forcing real-terms cuts.

2) The wealthy routinely dodge tax, so the burden gets shoved down the range anyway. "Tax is for the little people".

So your proposal would be even more regressive in reality until such a magic time as we end the ultra-wealthy dodging tax.

I am aware of that, but the BBC could have and should have addressed this in a far better and sensitive way; not least as it was in the middle of a pandemic!!!!! .

Go look at the figures and see why the BBC decided it would be a disaster for their output capability to pick up the tab.

iPlayer first ran as an open resource - loads of moaning from the usual internet moaners that people were watching without a license, so they introduced the registration system
- now get loads of moaners who can't be bothered with something simple that they quite willingly do to buy a toaster online. o_O

BBC can't win it seems .....

Particularly baffling when you can still just use get-iplayer.

FWIW I'm quite happy to pay the fee, and would happily pay a higher one, or indeed 'register'. Worth every penny. Agree that a problem is that for some the fee is costly. But narrowing the base would make that worse unless you really can find a way to make the wealthy cough up to live in the same world as the rest of us.

In general, people are getting disenchanted with the BBC. Including their staff - the latest big name to leave them is Graham Norton, their highest paid star. It's mainly because of their bias which goes against their charter. They are constantly pushing a left-wing agenda, including nonsensical climate change alarmism, and their pro-EU bias is staggering - apparently the BBC senior management of the time couldn't believe the majority of the proletariat had the temerity (or good sense) to vote to leave. This is illustrated by the audience of Question Time (which never has equal numbers of panelists with opposing views, always a majority in favour of the BBC agenda) falling from 8.3 million on 22 Oct 2009
to 0.7 million on 19 Nov 2020.

Having said that, the BBC has shown some good stuff recently. 'The Repair Shop' is well worth watching, the comedy series 'Ghosts' is excellent and very clever, and their football and snooker coverage is usually worth watching (despite Gary Lineker). Most of the rest I wouldn't bother with, especially the news.
Therein lies the dilemma.
Graham Norton - good riddance.
Snooker - Jeez!
Ghosts - should be on CBBC

I don’t understand your point Bob.
If you mean you can watch using a VPN I agree, so can I.
The annoying thing is that the BBC go to extraordinary lengths to block VPNs, so it’s very hit and miss.

I didn’t mean that.
I meant what I said.
All BBC tv output can be watched free in France via a sky (or any satellite box) and a dish pointing at the right satellite.
Then you don’t need iPlayer.

advertisement

Back