advertisement

Kitchen cabinets

I wonder if there are any more imaginative solutions to this predictable problem, maybe using different panel materials from the main cupboards. Has anyone tried a glass vertical panel? Or marine ply? Or some sort of stone or ceramic on board of some kind (but the edges?)

I wonder if there are any more imaginative solutions to this predictable problem, maybe using different panel materials from the main cupboards. Has anyone tried a glass vertical panel? Or marine ply? Or some sort of stone or ceramic on board of some kind (but the edges?)

If I understand right, the mop will still brush it every time the floor is cleaned. That’s going to cause a problem in the end isn’t it?
You can substitute for anything you like, at a cost, or you can use the factory solution. If you fit it sealed edge down it will tolerate mopping. That's good enough. Stone would be more durable but don't let's forget that it's part of a chipboard kitchen that will be worn out or unfashionable or you will have moved in 20 years,so why would you want to apply a costly 100 year fix to part of the installation?

Neuroses aside, the kick panels only clip on the legs and you can buy replacements for a few quid in the sheds, so there are better things to worry about.

My kitchen has 18mm birch ply doors with 35mm holes as handles and all edges chamfered.
I have sanded the doors and revarnished them once in 30 years.

pete

I've never stayed in one place that long. 5 years is my longest stay to date, in the current place. I won't get to 30 years here, in 25 years I'll be in a smaller place, a home or a box.

We found nice area short walk from two sets of shops, near a park, close to a bus stop, on a culdesac with nice neighbors, can't see us ever moving.

Pete

Copper, aside from the expense, is a soft metal that will mark and tarnish. If you like this and regard it as gaining patina over time, then fine. If not then every scratch, spilt drink, every salt water spill, will need polishing out and relacquering.

You could always prep it to the desired final finish and then resin over the top so the resin is the actual surface but you keep the copper mint.

Decent plywood's been fine, this is in a kitchen that's flooded a few times.

Only problem was when the bathroom leaked and an open drawer filled right up with water, took a couple of months to shrink back to size.

Didn't realise before that that my joinery skills were good enough to make a watertight drawer.

My kitchen has 18mm birch ply doors with 35mm holes as handles and all edges chamfered.
I have sanded the doors and revarnished them once in 30 years.

pete
That is my idea of touch it once. My wife asked the Magnet kitchen designer how often people changed their kitchen and he replied every 5 to 7 years.

Several of the kitchens I have helped with had plastic on the bottom of the chipboard plinth .Think it was Howden if I recall. Some years ago I varnished the chipboard plinths and it's lasted over 27 years now.

We live in the antithesis of a show home,

The amount of diy I've done over the years; when the house is sold the surveyor will recommend finishing Hermann Goring's work with a bulldozer.

We have settled on a Howdens kitchen, partly down to the recommendation of our builder, partly down to the designer in store who really knew her onions and understood very quickly what we wanted, and a remarkable price! Installation has commenenced today after eight weeks of construction work...

advertisement

Back