advertisement

Kitchen cabinets

I wonder if there are any more imaginative solutions to this predictable problem, maybe using different panel materials from the main cupboards. Has anyone tried a glass vertical panel? Or marine ply? Or some sort of stone or ceramic on board of some kind (but the edges?)

Ours came from Schuller and the end panels don't go all the way to the floor, the stainless steel kick panel comes round the side. To do this, they paint the cupboard side to match the kitchen/doors. Not cheap, but avoids the problem of edges to the floor which we had exactly that problem with on our previous kitchen. I would have thought you could do this even with regular cupboards by not bringing the end panel all the way down and having kick panel.

Just realised that I've replied to a post made a year ago - sorry, I thought this was a new thread!

We have settled on a Howdens kitchen, partly down to the recommendation of our builder, partly down to the designer in store who really knew her onions and understood very quickly what we wanted, and a remarkable price! Installation has commenenced today after eight weeks of construction work...
hope it goes well , I am reusing a kitchen that must be 30 years old as the cabinets and doors are great . Better quality than newer ones . Just popping new knobs on and soft closers

Ours came from Schuller and the end panels don't go all the way to the floor, the stainless steel kick panel comes round the side. To do this, they paint the cupboard side to match the kitchen/doors. Not cheap, but avoids the problem of edges to the floor which we had exactly that problem with on our previous kitchen. I would have thought you could do this even with regular cupboards by not bringing the end panel all the way down and having kick panel.

I replaced my kitchen panels since this thread started, using Howdens. And their current ranges have exactly the system you describe with Schuller on the panels and on the plinth, everywhere which touches the floor. It's not metal but plastic. In fact it looks just like a very neat bead of silicone between the panel and the floor -- I thought that's what it was, in fact, until I read your post and checked!

Good thing. Good design from Howdens. It gives me confidence in them as a supplier.

Thread resurrection.
We have a Fitter who uses Howdens so may go with them but I have to say I have looked at a lot of styles from a range of Suppliers and find them pretty uninspiring, monotonously designed and dull. Well they are just kitchens I guess...
However, I do like wood and I like these:
https://besp-oakkitchens.co.uk/collections/oak-kitchen-cabinets

Any thoughts.
Guarantee only 10 years
The current fashion is for painted doors, but I still really like the wood doors in the kitchen I installed when I retired 20 years ago. They are a solid hardwood frame enclosing a hardwood panel (probably veneer on particle board but as the edges are hidden you can’t tell). They still look good after 20 years. So I think the solid oak would do very well. The cabinets in solid oak will last well but are inevitably more expensive than particle board, which is what I used in the cabinets for cost reasons.
I decided to put the serious money into a granite worktop which I fitted myself (with help from son because it’s very heavy) after making a hardboard template for the supplier to cut from. I think that was the best decision in the whole project, the granite shows no sign of use and is absolutely beautiful. Some granite is rather boring to look at but mine has great sweeping veins of black and grey against a brown and pink background. I still get great pleasure from looking at it.

I threatened to disown my Mum if she sells her house after the amount of work that went into her kitchen floor...

Your mum's floor looks amazing.

You're in the business I think so I'm just going to ask you. I really want a floor like this antique one in my kitchen -- but I just can see no way to do it at reasonable cost! Suggestions?

Unswept-floor-mosaic-640px-from-Wikimedia-Commons.jpg

More on the Unswept Floor Mosaic from Ancient Rome – Slices of Blue Sky

They are a solid hardwood frame enclosing a hardwood panel (probably veneer on particle board but as the edges are hidden you can’t tell). They still look good after 20 years

our Wickes doors are of similar construction but in maple....

next door having a new kitchen done - making a right old racket getting the old floor tiles up. Their units are coming from Wren - all integrated appliances

My mother was bemoaning integrated appliances - her oven has gone and the new one has slightly different fixings - mean dismantling that part of the kitchen and oven unit....

will pass a wren showroom in a minute . they have impressive stuff but my electrician was telling me what an utter nightmare they were . delivered the stuff , some was wrong so had to wait ages for replacement. So thats a real pain when some kitchen fitters booked up for months and cant just come back to do stuff . wouldnt touch them for that reason. Howdens are great . much prefer them for supply .

I know 2 people who’ve used wren and both had a shocker. DIY Kitchens and a decent local fitter is hard to beat unless you want to spend megabucks IMHO. The DIY one I had fitted on page 1 of this thread went in a treat and is still like new but the fitter was top class. The new one in our house is by Burbage. No idea what they cost but it’s nice and well fitted.

I know 2 people who’ve used wren and both had a shocker.

DIY Kitchens and a decent local fitter is hard to beat unless you want to spend megabucks IMHO.

Ive heard similar stories about Wren.

But I have used DIY kitchens a couple of times. All great.

Yes getting a top fitter is the secret to a good finish.

advertisement

Back