advertisement

Kitchen cabinets

Is the most expensive Ikea kitchen that bad ? Cabinets look pretty good to me. Appliances made by Electrolux aren't they ? Choose a good quality counter top and that is a pretty decent result ?

I've just fitted a kitchen using standard B&Q units and they are of decent quality for the price. Delivery was on time and accurate too. A friend invited Wren to quote for her kitchen - they were 10K more expensive than a local fitter with units from Magnets. Guess who got the job ...?

Thread resurrection.
We have a Fitter who uses Howdens so may go with them but I have to say I have looked at a lot of styles from a range of Suppliers and find them pretty uninspiring, monotonously designed and dull. Well they are just kitchens I guess...
However, I do like wood and I like these:
https://besp-oakkitchens.co.uk/collections/oak-kitchen-cabinets

Any thoughts.
Guarantee only 10 years

howdens do have a lot of choice and carcases come ready made which saves fitter a lot of time and effort . if you run out of something or its wrongly delivered they sort it out fast

Is the most expensive Ikea kitchen that bad ? Cabinets look pretty good to me. Appliances made by Electrolux aren't they ? Choose a good quality counter top and that is a pretty decent result ?

Ikea kitchens are fine for the money, but not the absolute last word in quality. I fitted two relatively recently. One to a rental in 2018 and it still looks good today. The second to my AirBnb last year and that is obviously still fine. With careful planning and good fitting they can look great and function well. I made some custom bits for both of my installs, but that's because I'm a glutton for punishment :D

Ikea units come in 400, 600, 800 and 1000mm widths so if you need 300, 500, etc cabinet widths you can't use them. I have Ikea units in my kitchen which are still OK after 20 years.

next door having a new kitchen done - making a right old racket getting the old floor tiles up. Their units are coming from Wren - all integrated appliances

My mother was bemoaning integrated appliances - her oven has gone and the new one has slightly different fixings - mean dismantling that part of the kitchen and oven unit....
I’ve never seen the point of integrated appliances. What’s wrong with seeing the front of the fridge or the dishwasher? And if you’re staying at a friend’s house and fancy something from the fridge, you have to open half the cabinet doors to find it! Not to mention trapping fingers between the fridge door and the covering panel.

I’ve never seen the point of integrated appliances. What’s wrong with seeing the front of the fridge or the dishwasher? And if you’re staying at a friend’s house and fancy something from the fridge, you have to open half the cabinet doors to find it! Not to mention trapping fingers between the fridge door and the covering panel.

my parents integrated fridge ain't like that. I don't care much - we have what we have.

Clue: it is the largest door.

Ikea units come in 400, 600, 800 and 1000mm widths so if you need 300, 500, etc cabinet widths you can't use them. I have Ikea units in my kitchen which are still OK after 20 years.
A friend built one years ago, reckoned the Ikea stuff was heavier than stuff like MFI. It was fine. Wrt unusual widths, most plans end up with a filler piece or a gap that you need to build, but that's easy enough. It just needs to be part of the plan.

Clue: it is the largest door.
Not at my place. Standard 600x whatever door, just like the larder. Mind you, at my place it's moot because the weight of the door from warped the fridge door and it leaked. When I removed the trim it fitted and it works fine. I really do need to refit the trim, but I don't want it leaking again.

We are just about to order a kitchen and it will be from Wrens as they have the colour/design doors that we want. My daughter also had her kitchen from Wrens which was installed without issue. However it is best to get them to fitted by Wrens as if there is a problem with any of the units they are replaced very quickly. The cost is about the same as our builder quoted and if there is a screw up it will be down to Wrens and they can’t blame us. To be fair the whole process has taken the best part of three years due to continual delays with finding a builder and Covid. Wrens have been very helpful and generally their in store staff are good. What really gets up my nose is that none of the mainstream kitchen companies will give a price on individual items until you have paid a deposit so it is impossible to compare one to the other. Where you do have to be careful is the ‘add ons’ for example they quoted £420 for handles which I bought online for £80 and the sink was over £400 which I bought for £199. I also like the idea of using their money at 0% rather than mine.

A friend built one years ago, reckoned the Ikea stuff was heavier than stuff like MFI. It was fine. Wrt unusual widths, most plans end up with a filler piece or a gap that you need to build, but that's easy enough. It just needs to be part of the plan.
It depends on the size of the kitchen. My daughter was planning her new galley kitchen (2 straight runs facing one another running from the door wall to the window wall 215cms apart) and Ikea’s then new range just didn’t work (their old one would have). Ideally, you should aim for a gap at each end between cabinets and walls of an inch or two for wiggle room when fitting and to cope with non parallel walls. This can then be easily filled with a batten or trim. But with the Ikea sizing the gap was much larger and would need a panel of matching finish. It also means a loss of storage space significant in a small kitchen. She used DIY kitchens instead. Ironically, Ikea’s adverts at the time were trumpeting the ‘improved flexibility’ because they offered more vertical height options. The more important horizontal flexibility was significantly worse.

I made mine in the end, got the doors from a company in luton.

nus0d7.jpeg

esdyzp.jpeg

Looks great, how are you finding the worktop for maintenance?

I'm contemplating replacing my marine ply with wood or composite laminate but slightly worried about wood around the sink.

We are just about to order a kitchen and it will be from Wrens as they have the colour/design doors that we want. My daughter also had her kitchen from Wrens which was installed without issue. However it is best to get them to fitted by Wrens as if there is a problem with any of the units they are replaced very quickly. The cost is about the same as our builder quoted and if there is a screw up it will be down to Wrens and they can’t blame us. To be fair the whole process has taken the best part of three years due to continual delays with finding a builder and Covid. Wrens have been very helpful and generally their in store staff are good. What really gets up my nose is that none of the mainstream kitchen companies will give a price on individual items until you have paid a deposit so it is impossible to compare one to the other. Where you do have to be careful is the ‘add ons’ for example they quoted £420 for handles which I bought online for £80 and the sink was over £400 which I bought for £199. I also like the idea of using their money at 0% rather than mine.

good point about using their fitters

advertisement

Back